Wireless & Amazon on Demand

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dmb4040, Mar 3, 2010.

1. dmb4040

dmb4040 New Member

Mar 3, 2010

Advertisements

Good Afternoon fellow Tivo'ers,

I'm am old school tivo owner who had slipped away from Tivo since my old box did not have HD compatability. I ended up going with the DVR from my cable provider and it leaves a lot to be desired. I'm finally willing to make the jump back to Tivo, but have a question about the wireless video on demand.

Can any current wireless users let me know how the quality is of services such as Amazon Video on Demand? It isn't possible for me to run an ethernet cable from the upstairs to where my TV is. I know quality is a function of ISP speeds, etc etc., but in general, are you able to watch HD Amazon On Demand without hiccups/quality issues over a wireless network?

(I tried to search for this topic on the forums, but couldn't find what I was looking for, sorry if this gets asked often.

Thanks!

2. Ben_Jamin75

Ben_Jamin75 Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Monroe, MI
    Amazon doesn't do streaming, it does full downloads. The quality should be unaffected, just the download speed.

Currently Netflix (series 3+ only) that does streaming and it auto adjusts the quality to your connection speed.

3. travisc77

travisc77 Member

May 25, 2005
    In my experience, the issue is not wireless or ethernet (I have both). It's your cable/DSL speed. I have 8 Mbps and cannot do real-time Amazon HD with either wireless or ethernet. It seems to me about every 10 minutes of downloading you get about 5 minutes of HD video. I have an S3 ethernet to a G router, and an Tivo HD with wireless. I usually start downloading and about 45-60 minutes I start watching without an issue.

Netflix streaming is different, watched 20-30 HD streams without an issue on either (except the issues within the first couple weeks of Netflix being offered).

4. turbobozz

turbobozz New Member

Sep 21, 2006
    MD/VA
    Right, Amazon doesn't do streaming, but I believe you can start watching before the download is finished.
    I might be delusional, but I think I downloaded some HD movies/shows on my S3 from Amazon and was able to start watching them almost immediately.

The HD from Amazon was superb quality.

5. dmb4040

dmb4040 New Member

Mar 3, 2010

Advertisements

Thanks for the replys. I guess I read that Netflix was streaming and assumed Amazon was as well. That's exactly what I needed to hear!

6. puckettcg

puckettcg New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    I must have gotten a really bad download. I took advantage of a free TV show download from Amazon in HD last week just to test it out, and the quality was really bad - grainy, colors kind of washed out. But, I haven't heard anyone else mention a bad quality download, so I guess I'll give it another shot.

7. Moedad

Moedad New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Orange...
    This is helpful information. I just bought a Tivo Premiere and will be using one of the online movie rental services over a wireless network and I had the same questions. I've only been a member for 5 minutes and I've already been helped. Outstanding.

8. dmb4040

dmb4040 New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    As a follow up, I tried Amazon VOD wirelessly through my new Premiere. I have to say, it downloaded the movie so fast that it was done within 20 minutes, and I started watching it about 5 mintues after the download started. 10x better than I expected.

The quality was just fantastic.