Wireless adaptor for TiVo HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by akitadog, Oct 20, 2007.

1. akitadog

akitadog New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

It appears that the TiVo Wireless G Adapter is the only one that is compatible with the TiVo HD. Has anybody succesfully used other brands?

What makes the TiVo branded adapter unique? :confused:

2. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    It doesn't need to be plugged into an electrical outlet for power, gets its power from the Tivo. It is small and neat. It really is a good adapter and only $37.48 at Amazon.com.

3. Sean42

Sean42 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Superior, WI
    It really is a support issue. For tivo to support other companies adapters they had to include drivers for them with their tivo software. It ends being a lot of extra work to support other peoples products, so they just said to heck with it, if you want a wireless adapter you have to use ours. This way they have simplified their job and they make a few bucks out of the deal.

4. SullyND

SullyND L: 31-14 (10-2) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Plus the TiVo adapter off loads some of the work which otherwise is done by the limited CPU in the TiVo. You get better performance out of the TiVo Adapter on TiVos which support other adapters as well.

5. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

Advertisements

I have never seen a usb internet adapter that needed to be plugged into an electrical outlet have any examples?

6. wdwms

wdwms Member

Jan 10, 2003
    I switched away from the wireless to wired last night on our TivoHD. Must say the response time in the Tivo menus for some reason has increased; overall performance is much better. Not to mention the HMO stuff is faster. Suspect the implementation of the driver may be to blame for some of the slowdown; my wireless is un-encrypted so we can't blame it on encryption/decryption..

Glad all my Tivos are Cat5 direct to the switch now..

7. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

Wired is faster than wireless

8. wdwms

wdwms Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Thank you, i know that and thats why I did that... but to my surprise (as per my post) the menus; now playing, and other things that are NOT dependent on the internet connection have become faster.

9. dolfer

dolfer Miles Standish Proud

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    i got the tivo adapter for free via Tivo Rewards. I could not be happier! Excellent product. I set it up in a few minutes and it has been working flawlessly on my old Series2. I have a Tivo HD in my main set up and use wired ethernet for that.

10. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

Was the software update after you switched to the wired?

11. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Maybe adapters are better now. I have the first XBox and its network adapter needed to be plugged into an electrical outlet for its power. I know the 360's network adapter gets its power from the XBox. So I guess I was talking about old technology....sorry.

12. wdwms

wdwms Member

Jan 10, 2003
    No, they were running on the same versions.

13. akitadog

akitadog New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I ended up implementing a wireless bridge. Had an extra Linksys WRT54G lying around, and turned it into a client bridge.

Now I have extra ports to provide connectivity for the Xbox 360, PS3, or any other future additions. :cool:

14. StuffOfInterest

StuffOfInterest New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    McLean,...
    One note Id like add regarding the TiVo wireless adapter vs. 3rd party adapters. I originally hooked up a Netgear WG111 adapter to my TiVo series 2DT. The adapter worked, but it ran very, very hot. I was afraid it would burn itself out in a matter of days. The TiVo adapter, on the other hand, runs very cool.

If you have more than one device to hook up I'd recommend the wireless bridge talked about above. If it is just the TiVo, I'd look towards the TiVo adapter for temperature if nothing else. Also, as mentioned further above, if you can go with a wired cable you'll be better yet.

15. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The original Xbox never networked out of its USB ports, just its ethernet port, which doesn't supply power, hence that dapater needint a power supply.

All home/office USB network adapters (wired or wireless) take their power from the USB port, like the new Xbox 360 wireless adapter does. They have since day one.

16. Ripcord2

Ripcord2 New Member

Jun 6, 2004
    I had some of the very first USB 802.11b adapters (and some 1Mbps wireless tech that pre-dated it!), and have never seen one that needed an electrical outlet. I didn't know XBox's tech was so backward!