Wireless Adapters

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by timmmyboi, Jul 17, 2011.

1. timmmyboi

timmmyboi New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I have one of my Tivo's networked with one of the older TiVo AG0100 Wireless G Adapter. I'm getting a constant 74% signal on it and have it almost to the ceiling in my living room. When I transfer stuff from my computer using PyTivo its works great no problems. OK so I joined Netflix again after about a year and when I try to stream the HD content after about 30 minutes it will stop and buffer, play for a bit then stop and buffer again just over and over. I checked my internet and I have a 8MB download and I'm using the 2Wire modem/router. I also went to DSLReports and ran all the tests and it shows my connection is perfect with all smileys and no packet loss. I've never had any issues with my internet in the last 10 years I've had it with AT&T. Not once. It works perfect with everything. AT&T says its Netflix and Netflix says its AT&T of course. I'm at a loss on what to do about this. Would buying the new TiVo AN0100 Wireless N Network Adapter help this issue? Do I really need that? I dont wanna spend the money for it if I dont really need that and its just a Netflix issue that others are having. I searched the forums here and all I found about this are older posts. If there is a thread I missed can anyone point me into the right direction? If it would solve this then I would spring for the money but I dont really think its the issue. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts? :confused:

2. dcstager

dcstager 1st Gen Tivo Owner

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    The Tivo Wireless N adapter is simply an expensive wireless bridge. The old adapter you have is actually the fastest. I've had very good results with a D-Link DAP-1522 wireless bridge. If your router is wireless N capable, this bridge is likewise N capable. They have it at Amazon.

3. timmmyboi

timmmyboi New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I found some settings I changed on the modem and now the signal is a lot better, I'm up 88% reception so I'm thinking its just a Netflix issue at this point. Some movies play perfect all the way thru and then some wont play to save my life no matter what I do. My modem only goes up to G and not compatible with N so I think I would waste my money getting anything else.

Thank you so much for your input! I appreciate it!

4. seattlewendell

seattlewendell New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    ...an expensive wireless bridge running at N speeds, so NO, his G adapter is not faster.:thumbsdown:

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Apparently the OP has a DSL modem with wireless router built in and it's only a G, so the N adapter would be no faster than the G in that situation, and might even be slower if it keeps wasting time trying to auto-negotiate speed with something that can't do N, which, of course, the G wouldn't spend any time on.

6. dcstager

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    It seems counter-intuitive and people don't believe it until they've tried it themselves, but the Tivo G adapter is faster than the new N adapter even if you had N capability across all devices. The problem is Tivo's ethernet port. The port uses more CPU resources than USB does and as a result, even a direct wired connection is slower than the Tivo wireless G adapter. The new Tivo N adapter plugs into the ethernet port, not the USB port.

The Tivo has severely limited CPU overhead -- just barely enough to run everything it absolutely has to. High speed networking under ideal conditions and setup is slow. Of the options available, the Tivo Wireless G Adapter is the fastest.

7. seattlewendell

seattlewendell New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    This is simply false. I have a premier with a wired connection to my router. I previously had the G adapter contacted to a series 3. For SD content is would trnasfers in almost real time. If I gave it a 5 minute head start I could watch a show while transferring without buffering. HD content would take about 1.75 hours to transfer 1 hour of programing. I switched to a wired connection on both ends for about 3 weeks. I was able to get real time transfers for HD.
    Then I upgraded to the 2 premiers. Wired transfer speeds were a lot faster. 1 hour of HD content took 20 minutes.
    Last week a purchased the N adapter. The speeds of Premeire to Premeire HD content is a takes about 35 minutes for 1 hour of HD content.

So no, the G adapter is not faster than the N or wired connection.
    For reference I am using the new ASUS router which is the third fastest on the market according to Cnet and I am using the 5 MHZ band.

8. benraymond

benraymond New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Is it possible to wire your TiVo with ethernet? I decided to do this a while ago, takes the network stuff out of the picture. You never have to worry about signal or interference, and it is much faster. Plus with the 6 things that I have near the TV which require internet (TiVo, XBox, TV itself, AppleTV, A/V receiver, Wii) are easily wired as well without more adapters to buy. I was able to follow the cable TV cable at my TiVo location with the ethernet cable.

9. dcstager

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    I was talking about the Series 3 in the "Tivo Series 3 HDTV DVRs" section. The premiere is the first DVR with some CPU resources to spare and doesn't have the wired ethernet bottleneck.

There are numerous comments in the "TiVo Premiere DVRs" section that mirror your experience.

10. davidb4775

davidb4775 Member

Aug 26, 2004
    I've been using streambaby to stream from the PC to the TiVo via a pre-N wireless router. As HD became more common, I discovered that the wireless couldn't keep up with the amount of data that had to be pumped wirelessly. As a result, i finally ran an ethernet cable from the router to the tivo and the streaming is much faster.

Despite this, I will come across a video that is HD 1080 that is so big because of its compression settings that even the wired connection cant keep up, causing it to pause as data is buffered.

11. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    Is this ethernet bottleneck you describe an issue for the Series 3 family in general (both the original model labeled "Series 3" and the subsequent "Tivo HD"), or just the one labelled "Series 3"? Somewhere I heard that the original Series 3 had better network hardware than the "TiVo HD".

12. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Even the Series III systems have more than enough stones to transfer faster than a wireless-G network can manage. It's the encryption that slows down the transfers.