Wireless adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by JohnCollins39, Dec 31, 2005.

1. JohnCollins39

JohnCollins39 New Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Any recommendations on which wireless adapter to connect my TiVo to my computer? I have a wireless Netgear wg614 router. Thanks

2. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
  3. djhansensr

djhansensr New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    John,

Do a forum search on "wireless adaptor", which will turn up a bunch of hits. You will probably not find a compatible adaptor in a store, due to the requirement for older adaptor firmware versions. TiVo just released their own wireless G adaptor. Click on CrowFan's link above. Also, check eBay out. Something to keep in mind, TiVo does not support WPA security, only WEP. :mad:

Dean

4. mdblank

mdblank New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    I tried to find a wireless adapter myself but was unable too. I went to the site that listed all the compatable types and even when I thought I had the right one it still did not work. I just ordered the TiVo one...that one better work!!!!

5. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    I was just complaining about the inability to find any of the older supported adapters in stores in another part of the forum.
    Why, Lord, why did Tivo not put a NIC in these things? Are the pennies per box that they save worth the support issues- inability to find adapters, having to support mutlitple adapters in the code, etc.
    A single hardware NIC means that everyone has what they need for a network connection out of the box and Tivo only needs to include support for a single chipset. If a wireless connection is needed any wireless bridge would work whether it was made a year ago or two years from now.

Note to TiVo: If the future of your boxes' advanced features depend on a network connection it seems completely idiotic to leave out the most essentilal part.

6. holowac

holowac K3SDH

Dec 31, 2005
    South...
    I found a D-Link Wireless G USB Adapter model DWL-G122, Ver. A2 at a local Radio Shack that works like a charm :) .

7. Jan 1, 2006 #7 of 12
    JohnCollins39

JohnCollins39 New Member

Dec 28, 2005
    I also bought the D-Link DWL-G122 (H/W Ver.: B1, F/W Ver.:2.02), however, my Tivo says that particular adapter is not supported. Did you get the same message? If so, what did you do to get around it?

8. Jan 2, 2006 #8 of 12
    gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    The "B1" version doesn't work. The previous poster was able to find an older "A2" version.
    I'm like you, however, and could only find the most recent, unsupported, version.

Tivo should create a wired adapter to complement their wireless adapter and pack them in with the Tivo in "Network Ready" bundles.

9. Jan 2, 2006 #9 of 12
    amules2003

amules2003 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Iwas able to find on of the last DWL-G122 version A.2 at radio shack also but it was differcult I needed another so I orderd thr tivo on on line.

10. csblade

csblade New Member

Jan 2, 2006
    I just purchased the Netgear WG111 wireless adapter at Best Buy for $29.95 and it works like a charm. On the box itself it has a TiVo compatible sticker. Easy to use and install.

11. rb_la

rb_la New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    I bought one of those at best buy too and it works with my old Sony svr-3000. The adapter started with serial # 130 and had the tivo log on the box. Acording to the tivo list of supported adapters this one is not supposed to work with my sony (service # 110) tivo only the new tivos, but it works fine.

It was a major pain to find, it was the only one in the store and was way back behind everything on the shelf. I had been looking for a compatible adapter for a while and finally gave up and when to best buy to plunk down $100 for a game adpater/bridge, but got lucky and found this.

12. anotherlab

anotherlab New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Instead of a USB adapter for wireless networking, I did it in two steps. I picked upa Linksys USB Ethernet adapter and hooked it up to a SMC Wireless bridge. It cost a bit more, but it gained me a couple of things. First, it offloads all of the 802.11g protocol handling and encryption off of the Tivo and on the bridge. The bridge supports WPA, Tivo doesn't.

You're going to get a higher throughput this way. If the Tivo is handling the 802.11g protocol, plus encryption, that's gping to eat into the limited USB bandwidth. AFAIK, the USB 2 driver still has a performance bottleneck. With the bridge, Tivo thinks it's on a wired network and none of the wireless overhead goes through the Tivo.

Another advantage is that the bridge has a better radio and antennas than your usual USB 802.11g and I get a much stronger signal than I would with an adapter like Linksys WUSB54G (I know it's not supported by Tivo, but I used it to compare signal strengths from a PC).

And I get better security by using the bridge's WPA support. I have a couple of PC's on wireless connections and I really want to have WPA encrytion, WEP is too easy to break. For me, that left using a bridge as the only option for a wireless network connection.