Wireless adapter, only one will work?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by weetoots, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Feb 8, 2008 #1 of 11
    weetoots

weetoots New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii

Advertisements

What's up with this USB wireless adapter situation? One one to choose from and it's offered only by TIVO. Come on, must be something out there that works. My little Linksys USB adapter works but at a security risk for the rest of my system, it's only capable of WEP. To move up to WAP I must buy an adapter from TIVO. Does it do WAP2? What happens when I upgrade my system to "11N", will I need to buy another adapter only from TIVO.
    It's just a USB adapter, what's all the fuss?

I have a Series 2 (240).

Al :mad:

2. Feb 8, 2008 #2 of 11
    dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    You can find a list of supported adaptershere. It looks like the TiVo adapter is the only one that supports WPA, and I know that finding the correct revision of the other adapters can be difficult.

One nice thing about using the TiVo adapter is that they have designed it to offload some of the jobs that are normally done by the TiVo to the wireless adapter...the net effect is making the transfers much faster with the TiVo version than with any other wireless adapter.

Before the adapter came out there were all sorts of problems with people thinking they had bought the right version of an adapter, only to find that the manufacturer had made a revision change, not marked it on the box, and it made the adapter incompatible with TiVo...at least with the TiVo branded adapter you know that won't happen.

3. Feb 8, 2008 #3 of 11
    pdhenry

pdhenry Oh, my aching back

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I'll confirm - other adapters "work" but the one you want is the TiVo adapter. Significantly higher throughput, and no Linux driver issues if the manufacturer slips in a hardware change.

The issue with using a generic adapter is that the manufacturer has to have relased a Linux driver for the hardware version that you end up getting, and TiVo has to incorporate that driver into the driver library in the TiVo.

4. Feb 8, 2008 #4 of 11
    richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    All good advice. However with regard to the off loading element IIRC it's the other way around...the TiVo adapter offloads some of the work a generic adapter would be doing to TiVo's processors which allows for improved performance.

We have 802.11n w/WPA and it works flawlessly. I'm not sure if it supports WPA2 however. Perhaps someone that's tried it can post?

5. Feb 8, 2008 #5 of 11
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Advertisements

Dylanemcgregor was correct. Tivo's problem is limited processing power and the Tivo adapter picks up some of the slack for transfers.

6. Feb 8, 2008 #6 of 11
    etz

etz New Member

Sep 8, 2006
    I'm using WPA2 with the TiVo adapter.

7. Feb 8, 2008 #7 of 11
    morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    WPA2 is backwards compatible with WPA so that's probably why it works.

8. Feb 9, 2008 #8 of 11
    richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Got it. Confirmed on this post as well.

9. Feb 9, 2008 #9 of 11
    destek

destek Member

Jan 15, 2001
    Madison,...
    If the TIVO adapter were $99 (like the stinking XBox adapter) this would be a valid complaint - but you can often get them for about $50.00. While some other adapters can be a little cheaper - sheesh - getting a branded adapter that we KNOW will work for $50! That's an EXCELLENT deal!

10. pdhenry

pdhenry Oh, my aching back

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    It's $40 at Amazon.

11. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    I got mine "free" through TiVo Rewards. ;)