1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wired or wireless??

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by plantsower, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Aug 9, 2018 #1 of 23
    plantsower

plantsower Member

Dec 24, 2003
    CA
    I am trying to add Unblockr to my Firestick. The directions ask if I have a wired or unwired connection. I am not sure, so here is what I know:

1. My smart TV has wireless internet but is connected to a power line to be able to connect to the router for Tivo itself. Is that considered wired internet?

2. The second TV is not a smart TV so I am assuming that is not wired because it doesn't even have the internet. That will be remedied by adding the fire stick dongle eventually. Waiting for that second fire stick.

Any help in explaining this to me in layman's terms would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Middlebury, VT
    Wireless internet means your device, whatever it is, talks wirelessly to your router. No cable connected between the router and the device.

Wired internet means your device is connected directly to your router with an ethernet cable. Or your device is connected to an ethernet jack on the wall (which would then be connected by ethernet cable to the router).

3. plantsower

plantsower Member

Dec 24, 2003
    CA
    Right, I know that in general. What made me a little confused is that the power line connected to the TV for the Tivo needs another power line connected to the router with an ethernet type jack. That's why I thought maybe it would be considered wired at this point. I need that cleared up before I proceed. Thanks.

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    If the 'device' is using the Ethernet Jack that's built in, it's 'wired' Otherwise, it's Wireless (WiFi).

Powereline, Moca Adapters, Wireless Bridges, etc...anything that 'tricks' the device into thinking it's on Wired Ethernet are just substitutes for a 'real' wired connection.

Choose Wisely...

-KP

5. plantsower

plantsower Member

Dec 24, 2003
    CA
    I'm not sure exactly what you are implying, but I think then that I should follow the directions for a wired device? I hope I've chosen wisely.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What does this have to do with TiVo?

7. plantsower

plantsower Member

Dec 24, 2003
    CA
    Nothing except that I have Tivo and use a power line to download the shows. I knew someone here would have the answer as to whether the power line meant that I was using a wired internet or not since it is connected to my router and my Smart TV.

8. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    Powerline adapter is treated as wired, I use one for my XBox One X.

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A wireless bridge is treated as wired. I use one (or more) for three TiVo units, two Mini, two TV, Blu-ray, Roku and AVR.

10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Since you are adding this to your Firestick, it shouldn't have anything to do with your TVs connections to the Internet. How is the Firestick connected to the Internet? Wireless I'm guessing.

Scott

11. plantsower

plantsower Member

Dec 24, 2003
    CA
    Thank you. That's what I needed to know.

12. plantsower

plantsower Member

Dec 24, 2003
    CA
    Thank you, I am starting to get the picture now.

13. plantsower

plantsower Member

Dec 24, 2003
    CA
    The fire stick is connected via HDMI on my TV which is connected to the power line adaptors for Tivo downloads. So, that's why I was wondering if the Firestick would inadvertently be connected to all that and be considered wired. An answer to that question would settle it for me.

14. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Firesticks are connected to the router/internet via wifi. It outputs to the TV via HDMI.

15. plantsower

plantsower Member

Dec 24, 2003
    CA
    I know, and I am sorry that I am not able to completely grasp this. If I had not used the power adaptor lines for the Tivo, I would know that the Firestick was wireless for sure. But since it is connected to the TV which is connected to the powerline for the Tivo downloads, I wasn't sure if it was working independently or not and thus wireless.

16. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    No, it can't bridge a network connection across an HDMI connection!

Scott

17. plantsower

plantsower Member

Dec 24, 2003
    CA
    So you would consider the Firestick wireless at this point? I am getting different answers from different places. Grrrrr! Lots to learn.

Thanks.

18. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A Firestick is 100% wireless to get internet content. Check the pictures at Amazon. I have a Fire TV and it is also wireless. If you think about it, they're too small to have an Ethernet connector.

19. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Assuming it's connected to your network with a wireless connection then yes as I and UCLABB said above (there is apparently an optional Ethernet adapter). I don't know how anyone could give you any other answers.

Scott

20. plantsower

plantsower Member

Dec 24, 2003
    CA
    Thanks. Yes, I know it's wireless normally. I just didn't know if it would still be considered wireless if connected to a TV that is connected to a power line adapter which is like having ethernet.