Wire my Premiere vs Wireless?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Shanezam203, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Upgraded to a Tivo Premiere today, should I run a cat5 cable to my Tivo vs wireless? Currently I use wireless for Tivo, Apple TV and Xbox 360 but have been debating getting an 8 port switch and run a cable from my router...

Anyone suggest wired with the Premiere coming from Series 3 hd?

Thanks,

Shane

2. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    There is alot of debate going on with this right now :) Wired is best but if you have good wireless coverage, Wireless N should give you no issues

3. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    If you already have wireless adapters for the Premieres, try the wireless. If it works, great, otherwise, if you have to buy the wirleless adapters -- AND you have coax cabling to the TIVO locations, I'd skip the wireless and use MoCa adapters for a wired Ethernet connection. I've yet to find anyone here who regrets the wireless connection via MoCa. Simple to install. Works great.

4. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Wired is always (yes, I mean always) preferable to wireless if running/installing it will not incur much trouble or expense.

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    With the number of devices you have I would run the wire.

I would also buy Cat 6 to future proof and get a GB switch. I use the trendnet green ones. If you watch Newegg specials they will usually have a 8 port GB switch in the $29 range sooner or latter. You can pick up long runs of Cat 6 from Monoprice.com at good price (75 foot is only $10)

Good Luck,

6. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I can wire my Tivo Premiere & Apple TV for around $15, I may do it.

$10 8 port hub
    $5 cat5 cables

7. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    wire it

8. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Amen

9. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I have the Tivo closest to my router wired (through a 4-port switch with my Wii, TV, and Blu-Ray) and the other two Tivos on wireless G bridges. No problems with any of them, including transfers between boxes. If running the cable is not an issue, then that is always best but I'm happy with my wireless setups too.

10. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    This is very cheap so go ahead. But, when I upgraded my wireless router to a Linksys by Cisco N router, all of a sudden my 6-year old notebook's wireless g/b connection was perfect. I was able to download first a 200 meg file that I could not do before, then a multi Gb file that I would never have tried before. I forget what my old wireless router was -- my bad. My TiVo and Blu-ray use the wired port on the wireless router.

11. jbcheshire

jbcheshire Member

Jun 6, 2006
    I think one of the drawbacks of having a wired Premiere unit is if you have an iPad and the Tivo app for it.

I have two Premiere units of which one is wireless and one is wired, and only the wireless unit is found by the Tivo app. I don't know of a way to get a wired Premiere unit to show up on the Tivo app, does anyone else??

12. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    This is an indication that your wireless network may be set up incorrectly on its own subnet or with broadcast filter between the wired and wireless segments. Your iPad and iPhone apps should work fine and seamlessly between wired and wireless devices if the network is set up correctly.

I suggest you solicit advice from people who use the exact same hardware setup that you do; whatever that setup might be. Advice for one manufacturers wired or wireless equipment is not usually very helpful when applied to another brand.

13. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    I have no trouble with either of my wired TiVos and the iPad or iPhone apps. They work perfectly fine.

Jeff

14. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
  15. hillyard

hillyard Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I switched from wireless to wired and have 0 problems. transfers with wireless before was just below real time with hd. Now with wire it is faster alot faster than real time. I also swapped out the tivo hds for a premier and an elite at the same time so that might have helped a little also

16. jbcheshire

jbcheshire Member

Jun 6, 2006
    I have searched and searced for a solution to this problem but have yet to find one. Can anyone direct me toward a specific thread on this? (and I don't mean "just google it", because i have done that already...) Also, the information I see on the TiVo website on the app seems to indicate that the TP unit has to be using a wireless connection as well.. (see this link: http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/product-features/stay-connected/ipad/)

Thanks,
    Jeff

17. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    If your network is setup so that the wireless and wired devices are on the same IP subnet then having the iPad, etc, on wired ethernet and the iPad, etc, on wireless will pose zero issues, as the iPad app will scan that local IP range and see the TiVos.

I suspect that the trouble you are having is that you simply put your wireless on a different IP subnet than the rest of your devices.

Giving us the IP of your TiVo and the IP from one of your wireless devices would prove that this in fact is the issue.

If it is, fixing it is trivial, you simply need to configure your wireless router as a "bridge", you can google for tutorials on how to do that.

18. jbcheshire

jbcheshire Member

Jun 6, 2006
    As far as I can tell they are on the same subnet. (not that I set up anything special between my wireless and wired connections...) I am using a D-Link DIR-655 wireless router.

iPad = 1xx.xxx.0.110
    Tivo 1 = 1xx.xxx.0.108
    Tivo 2 = 1xx.xxx.0.106

The xxx's are all the same on the three devices. The problem is that I cannot see Tivo 2 on the iPad app.

Thanks again for your help.

19. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    You should download an app for the iPad (there are several free ones) that will let you try to ping the IP address of the TiVo from the iPad. If you can ping it and TiVo software doesn't work, then I can't tell what the problem is. If you cannot ping it from the iPad something in your network is hosed up.

20. jbcheshire

jbcheshire Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Well, I have been able to successfully ping both Tivos on my iPad with the special app, but still no luck in seeing the 2nd wired tivo on the Tivo app...

I'll just have to keep looking around... I have thought about wiring the wireless one to see what happens... I will get back to you on those results..

Thanks.