WINMFS image for Series2 DT?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by lillevig, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1 of 12
    lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I just acquired a Series2 dual-tuner with the 80GB drive and lifetime. Does anyone have a WINMFS image for this unit that they would be willing to provide? I suppose that I could capture my own image from my Tivo drive but I'm leery of trying that without a backup drive if things go wrong.

2. Aug 4, 2011 #2 of 12
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can make a backup of current drive and WinMFS will make a file saved to another folder/drive. You can later make a CD/DVD as a permanent backup.

Of course you would need to startup with Windows, and the TiVo drive hooked up. DO NOT try to access the TiVo drive with the Windows applications, such as format, etc. Windows will not recognize the Tivo drive, but may recognize as a new device, just ignore that.

You may have to run WinMFS under administrator, by right clicking on the file.

3. Aug 4, 2011 #3 of 12
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    What kind of computer do you have with which to do the work?

PC? Mac? laptop of some kind?

IDE ports? SATA ports?

What drive do you have in mind to replace the stock drive?

Email me your email address and I'll send you a link for a WinMFS image, although I suggest you download the iso of the MFS Live cd v1.4 and burn yourself a copy just because it's handy to have.

4. Aug 5, 2011 #4 of 12
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The OP is not asking for an image of WinMFS. He is asking for a WinMFS created backup of a Tivo 2 DT. He doesn't want to use the existing TiVo drive to create the new drive because he doesn't want to risk damaging it in the process, leaving him w/o a working TiVo drive.

My suggestion would be to go ahead and make your own backup. If something happens during that process, then you can pursue other options. Before you do this, you should hook it up and make sure it has the latest s/w.

BTW, there is an existing thread for people seeking images.

5. Aug 5, 2011 #5 of 12
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    When I said a WinMFS image, I meant a backup image of a TCD649080's Western Digital WD800BB-55JKC0 WD Caviar 80GB hard drive contents made using the WinMFS program.

As opposed to an MFS Live image, i.e., an image made using the MFS Live boot cd.

If I meant the link to the actual program, I wouldn't have said "a" WinMFS image, I would have said "the" WinMFS image.

6. Aug 5, 2011 #6 of 12
    lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...

Um, that's what I said.

7. Aug 5, 2011 #7 of 12
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The OP asked for a WinMFS image. I assume that means he already knows where to get winmfs.exe, and wants a file that ends with .tbk, which is what I offered.

8. Aug 5, 2011 #8 of 12
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I sent you a PM with a link to an image.

9. Aug 5, 2011 #9 of 12
    lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    That was unclear in your initial post, particularly in relation to the final paragraph about downloading and burning a copy of MFSLive. Saying "a" instead of "the" doesn't make it any clearer unless you think there is only one image of WinMFS. And yes, I also realize that it isn't actually an image, just a file as it is a Windows application rather than a bootable CD.

In any case, I shouldn't have made the posts to which you were responding. I was tired and for some reason thought I was responding to a clarification from the OP rather than you.

That said, part of my 12:17 post was in response to ThAbtO wherein he told the OP he could do something he had made quite clear he already knew how to do but wanted to avoid.

10. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Thanks to those who responded with links to an image. Got the one that was from a virgin DT box to load with WINMFS and have now been able to run Guided Setup successfully with the imaged HD. I got really adventurous and used a SATA drive I had as a spare and a cheap IDE to SATA adapter that I got off of eBay. As an FYI, I have run WINMFS successfully using Vista 32-bit and WIN7 64-bit (both require Administrator Mode) and my interface to the HD is an external cable that plugs into a USB port.

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you're saying that you now have a SATA drive running in your Series 2, you need to post the model of the TiVo, the make and model of the drive, and the make and model of the adapter (and which chipset it uses) to the adapter thread.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=416883

12. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Done.