WinMFS "Fix Bootpage" hosed my Series 1 boot partition :-(

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by sskraly, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Jan 5, 2012 #1 of 52
    sskraly

sskraly Member

Dec 11, 2002
    Series 1 (HDR112) upgraded couple of years ago w/320GB WD and LBA48 kernel. Was in a GSOD loop, so someone suggested using WinMFS "Fix Bootpage Option 2" option to switch the boot partition to the other boot partition.

Before doing this, WinMFS could select the drive, and mfsinfo/pdisk worked fine and showed all my partitions. Now, can't select the drive, it says "Wrong Tivo Partition Signature", and can no longer do anything with the drive.

Any ideas how to get back to the other boot partition (I'm afraid to try WinMFS Fix Bootpage Option 1") or fix so that I can select the drive again?

Thanks,
    Sam

2. Jan 5, 2012 #2 of 52
    sskraly

sskraly Member

Dec 11, 2002
    Forgot to mention that, when I try to select it, WinMFS reports that the drive is Format="Tivo Series 2 or 3".

3. Jan 5, 2012 #3 of 52
    lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Try putting the drive back in the box and using the kickstart code to swap the boot partition back. Then use the codes to check the drive. Here's a link to kickstart codes for each Tivo series.

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

4. Jan 5, 2012 #4 of 52
    sskraly

sskraly Member

Dec 11, 2002
    I don't see a kickstart code to swap the partition back, but I don't even get
    to the left LED turning yellow (it turns green and the screen just says "Your PTV is Starting Up", so I can't get to the kickstart codes. I might have tried code 52 or 56 if I could get that far.

Presumably, the unit isn't recognizing the drive at all and isn't even starting to boot--I guess kickstart is on the HDD rather than the motherboard?

Anyone have any idea what WinMFS->Fix Bootpage->Option 2 could have possibly done to screw my drive up so badly? More importantly, is there any way to get back to the other partition if Linux boot CDs don't even recognize the drive any more? The other boot partition was functional enough that I could boot mfstools and run mfstools and pdisk on it despite the GSOD loop.

Thanks
    Sam

5. Jan 6, 2012 #5 of 52
    lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I think that code 52 (Emergency SW reinstall) actually swaps the two boot partitions. As for getting to the kickstart mode, did you try this:

(If you are unable to catch the change in color or timing, you may also hold the PAUSE button down continuously during the restart until the second light comes on.)

In other words, just press and hold the PAUSE button before applying power to the Tivo. It does take some time to get the yellow LEDs to light up so be patient.

6. Jan 6, 2012 #6 of 52
    sskraly

sskraly Member

Dec 11, 2002
    Update: mfslive1.4 w/lba48 support can see the drive and run things like pdisk, tpip,
    bootpage, etc (but not mfsinfo).

It still complains about "unknown partition table" and "unknown partition signature 0x504d (expected 0x4d50)"

I figured out that bootpage -p (or tpip --flipboot) both work to swap the Partition #s for the boot partition (from 6 to 3 or vice-versa), but they don't seem to flip the root partition (from 7 to 4 or vice-versa). I think I can change this with

tpip -P "root=/dev/hda4" (current set to root=/dev/hda7 to go along with changing boot partition from 6 to 3.

Can anyone confirm if this sounds right or if there's a better way (still can't get into kickstart from the Tivo)?

Thanks!
    Sam

7. Jan 6, 2012 #7 of 52
    bshrock

bshrock Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Are the kickstart codes in ROM or are they on the disk? If the DVR will not boot then the kick start codes will not work.

8. Jan 6, 2012 #8 of 52
    GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    Looks like you have a byte-swap issue. Try mfslive 1.3b.

9. Jan 6, 2012 #9 of 52
    sskraly

sskraly Member

Dec 11, 2002
    OK, 1.3b fixed the partition signature issue (Thanks!), but mfsinfo still says "/dev/sdb10: No such device or address" (I'm using an IDE->USB, so my Tivo drive is sdb.

As a quick recap:
    - Series 1 expanded with 320GB WD a couple of years ago. Don't remember which boot cd version I used, but must have had LBA48 support.
    - After a power outage, came back up in GSOD loop
    - WD Extended Diags on the drive ran fine, no errors
    - Suspected OS corruption, ran WinMFS FixBoot, put back in Tivo and now can't get past "Powering Up" screen.

- Don't know what WinMFS did, but assuming it messed up the Boot flip, I'll try to switch back to old Boot partiition and Root Partition to see if I can get into Kickstart on the Tivo

Any other ideas?

Thanks for all the ideas...

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Somehow WinMFS reporting that as a Series 2 or 3 drive went right by me.

WinMFS should be able to handle byteswapped S1 drives without any problem.

It now occurs to me however, that when you upgraded to the 320GB drive you probably used the -p option when you ran the restore command, probably blindly copied it from a tutorial and had something like this

...restore -s 127 -xzpi -

which means you gave it the "optimized" partiton layout introduced in the Series 2s.

Series 1s don't know to expect that.

(I unthinkingly did something like that with a Series 2, forgot to include the -p, because I'd been doing S1s up until then, which left me with a 500GB drive that worked but that failed when I tried to make a backup image, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger.:) )

Do you have a spare drive at least as big as that 320 you can temporarily use? There may be a way around the problem, but I'll have to do some experimenting to see if what I have in mind will work. I'm almost finished setting up my dedicated TiVo wrangling computer, so I'll try to make that my first project.

MFS Live v1.4 should handle byte-swapping just as well as 1.3b, although I seem to remember something about a problem with 1.4 not being able to mount partitions that 1.3b could.

Did you run WinMFS's fixswap before flipping the boot partitions?

If you do MFS Live's bootpage this way

bootpage -?

it'll show you the available options, one of which lets you swap 3 and 6 and another of which lets you swap 4 and 7, but they don't work quite the same way--on one you just plug in a number (if i recall correctly, it's been a while) and on the other it's something like entering

root=7

or

boot=7

11. sskraly

sskraly Member

Dec 11, 2002
    > Did you run WinMFS's fixswap before flipping the boot partitions?

I never ran fixswap, I ran WinMFS's fix bootpage->Option 2 after someone suggested that my OS was corrupt and this might let me run off the alternate copy. Prior to that, mfsinfo worked fine. After running fix bootpage, that caused mfsinfo to stop working and WinMFS to report that I have Format="Tivo Series 2 or 3".

I was able to bvot MFSLive 1.3b and run bootpage -f to flip the boot partition from 6 to 3 and then bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda4" to presumably use the alternate kernel (was set to root=/dev/hda7). Put back in the Tivo and still no sound of drive activity or getting past the "Powering Up" screen so that I can try to get into Kickstart.

Yes, I can get a spare drive. What are you thinking might be going on and what do you have in mind to try?

Thanks!
    Sam

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Not sure at this point what's going on, not having your hardware here to so my own tests on, but what I'm thinking, based on my suspicion that you've got an S2/S3 partition layout on that drive, is to restore a Philips image to a separate drive, and expand, getting the same size MFS partitions, but with an S1 partition layout, and then using dd_rescue to copy over the MFS partitions from the problem drive to see if we can save the recordings.

This would be a lot easier if I had your stuff on my bench.

If it's any consolation, S1 drives seem to corrupt easily. Like I said, I've got a shelf full.

13. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    If you decide to follow Unitron's suggestion I can provide you with an S1 image for use with WinMFS. Just send me a PM if interested.

14. sskraly

sskraly Member

Dec 11, 2002
    Thanks for the help--is there any other info you want me to extract from the drive to confirm your diagnosis? Otherwise, let me know what you want me to try next...

Also, remind me how to ensure I have LBA48 support on the new drive--I remember it was copykern but can't remember syntax or where that is done in the process...

15. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Download this

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores/1/downloads/BOOTCD/ptvlba48-4.04.iso.zip

unzip it and burn yourself a copy.

You boot from it.

Then you mount the drive it's in

something like

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /cdrom

assuming the drive is the slave on the secondary IDE channel

and you can do

ls

at the command line (that's a lowercase L followed by an s, means list) to see what directories the cd created in memory, I'm pretty sure cdrom is one of them.

For some reason, for some people, if the cd isn't mounted, copykern can't fully find itself even though it may appear to have worked.

Once you've mounted the cd drive, just type

copykern

and follow the directions.

That assumes you have the drive with the image already restored to it connected to the computer as well as the cd drive (and good idea not to have any other drives connected besides those 2 at the time).

The step before all of that is to get a good S1 Philips image and restore it to a spare drive without using the -p option.

I'll have to do something like that here to refresh my memory on some points (which means it won't happen until tomorrow after I've had some sleep, but I'm not giving up on trying to get you out of what I sort of helped you get into)

What do you have in the way of a spare drive?

(I just looked at this post in preview, I can tell I need sleep)

16. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Don't do anything to the problem drive that makes any changes to it until I get back in touch tomorrow.

In the meantime, see if pdisk from the MFS Live cd can show the partition info and better yet send its output to a text file.

If you have a USB thumb drive (formatted FAT32) you could insert it, wait for it to be detected (might have to hit enter to get back to command line), then mount it

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /dos

then

pdisk /dev/hda | /dos/pmap.txt

then

ls /dos

to see if it's in there and then you can copy and paste instead of having to copy it all off of the screen by hand (and possible making a mistake)

17. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Okay, so tomorrow turned into day after tomorrow.

Did you ever get the partition map copied?

UPDATE!

I may have figured out what happened.

Based on this

"unknown partition signature 0x504d (expected 0x4d50)"

That's a byte-swap problem

Because you apparently used the -p option of the restore command, you gave that S1 drive an S2 and above partition layout.

Which I didn't know or didn't catch when I first suggested boot fix.

Apparently (and if not for your problem this would never have occured to me) WinMFS doesn't look to see if the drive is byte-swapped but decides if it's dealing with a byte-swapped S1 by looking at the partition layout, so even though it can handle byte-swapping, it doesn't know to do it in that circumstance.

So boot fix gave you a non-byte swapped bootpage.

S1s don't speak non-byte swapped.

If you just want the Philips to work again, we can overwrite that 320GB with a new image.

If you want to save what's on the drive, we'll need another drive and even then no guarantees, but it's worth trying.

18. sskraly

sskraly Member

Dec 11, 2002
    Here's the pdisk output showing the partition info:

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/sdb'
    #: type name length base ( size )
    1: Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
    2: Image Bootstrap 1 4096 @ 181070912 ( 2.0M)
    3: Image Kernel 1 4096 @ 181075008 ( 2.0M)
    4: Ext2 Root 1 262144 @ 181079104 (128.0M)
    5: Image Bootstrap 2 4096 @ 181341248 ( 2.0M)
    6: Image Kernel 2 4096 @ 181345344 ( 2.0M)
    7: Ext2 Root 2 262144 @ 181349440 (128.0M)
    8: Swap Linux swap 260096 @ 181611584 (127.0M)
    9: Ext2 /var 262144 @ 181871680 (128.0M)
    10: MFS MFS application region 1048576 @ 182133824 (512.0M)
    11: MFS MFS media region 24777728 @ 156293184 ( 11.8G)
    12: MFS Second MFS application region 8192 @ 183182400 ( 4.0M)
    13: MFS Second MFS media region 156293120 @ 64 ( 74.5G)
    14: MFS New MFS Application 1024 @ 183190592
    15: MFS New MFS Media 441942016 @ 183191616 (210.7G)
    16: Apple_Free Extra 8816 @ 625133632 ( 4.3M)

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=625142448 (298.1G)
    DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

Your theory certainly sounds feasible--I used Hinsdale verbatim so that sounds like I would have used the -p option (probably "restore -s 127 -xzpi" as you suggested above.
    Does it make sense that the drive worked fine in the S1 for several years with the "Series 2/Optimized" partition layout? If WinMFS gave me a non-byteswapped bootpage, I wonder why we can't just switch back to the other boot partition--did it screw up both copies?

BTW, is WinMFS still maintained by spike? Maybe he can change this so other folks don't hit this issue in the future...

This S1 has a lifetime subscription, so it's definitely worth getting it working again. Saving the recordings will be a big plus, but if it doesn't work, I'll be happy just getting it going.

Thanks again for the help...

19. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    When the TiVo goes to write something to a particular partition it looks at the partition map to see where that partition starts, so an S1 can function with the S2 partition layout and vise versa, but having the wrong one can cause other problems, like the 500GB drive I put in an S2 without having used the -p option (being at that time accustomed to avoiding it when working on S1s), which worked, but I couldn't make a backup of it, or in your case, a utiility that made a mistake about which platform because it was misled.

It didn't do anything to any of the partitions, it did it to the part before the first partition. It wrote it non-byteswapped. TiVo 1s have a CPU that requires byte-swapping because they load them into the CPU in reverse of the way that x86-type CPUs and the S2 and later CPUs do it, so they (S1s) can't read non-byte-swapped.

I think spike is mostly spending his time on other things these days, perhaps something foolish like actually making a living, so I wouldn't hold out hope for the program to be changed to protect just people who've already upgraded and done it, shall we say, less than exactly right.

I need to know what else you have around there in the way of spare hard drives, brand, model number, and size.

I'm going to do some experimenting here to see if I can replicate your problem so as to test my ideas on how to solve it. Might not happen instantaneously.

20. sskraly

sskraly Member

Dec 11, 2002
    Thanks for the further explanations...makes a lot of sense now...

I have a 320GB Maxtor EIDE and a 320GB WD SATA (could potentially use with a Rosewill SATA->IDE adapter) but will try the Maxtor first as the WD has some other data on it.

Just to confirm that the rest of the box is working, what exact params should I use to restore the Philips image to one of these other drives and get the box back to life before trying to salvage the recordings:

Using MFSLive1.4:

restore -s 127 <what else> hdr112.tbk
    copykern
    <anything else?>

Thanks!