WINMFS File Size Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by lillevig, Aug 17, 2011.

1. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I recently used WINMFS to upgrade to a larger HD in my Series 2 DT Tivo. The .tbk file I downloaded was captured from a virgin box (80 GB drive) and was less than 200MB in size. Curiously, the only .tbk files I have created came from a Series 1 Philips with a 14 GB drive but the file size was over 6 GB. My question: why was my Series 1 file so large compared to the Series 2 file? As far as I know, both were captured using the latest version of WINMFS.

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If the Series 1 backup was a full backup rather than a truncated backup, it includes all of the recordings.

3. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    As far as I know, WINMFS only lets you do a truncated backup, not a full backup. And there were no recordings.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Try the forums at mfslive.org and maybe spike will give you an answer.

5. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Unfortunately, my experience with getting responses on that forum have not been good so I've stopped trying. This forum seems to be the best place for answers for everything related to Tivo.

6. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I just figured that would be the best place to catch spike's eye, and since he's the one who wrote WinMFS...

7. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    The file size for a TivoHD truncated backup is around 450MB.

I was getting 200MB backups, which won't work. The problem was my external USB-SATA adapter wasn't compatible with my motherboard.

I don't know if 200MB is the right size for a series 2 unit.

Does it work?

8. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    The image I got for the Series2 DT worked perfectly. I have now captured an image for a Series3 HD unit and it is less than 400 MB. I suspect that maybe the Series1 partitions are layed out differently. Maybe the partition for the recordings is somewhere in the middle and causes a large file size even though it is empty. Not a big issue but I was curious why such a difference with the same WINMFS program.

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The Series 1 partitions are laid out a certain way, with the OS coming first, and the recordings and associated stuff (database of recordings, etc.) coming last.

Starting with the Series 2 the partition numbers are kept the same, but one of the partitions where the shows are recorded is physically put near the front of the drive, right after the partition map and before all of the OS partitions.

Which requires the -p switch if using the restore command from MFS Live, but should have no bearing on the size of the truncated backup whatsoever, because recordings don't get saved in a truncated backup.

If the size of the truncated backup file is larger as the Series number goes up, it's because the size of the software to run the TiVo got larger with each new Series.

10. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    One odd thing I noticed recently. The original THD drive was starting to fail. In particular, there was one recording that would cause a reboot. To avoid having that space reused until such time as I could replace the drive, I marked it KUID and ignored it. When I finally acquired a new drive, I deleted all the recordings except that one (after transferring or watching them of course:)). I then used WinMFS to create a truncated backup and imaged a new 1TB drive with it. When I brought up the TiVo with the new drive installed, I was surprised to see that title in the "Now Playing" list. I thought it would be empty. I assume that the recording wasn't actually there but didn't check. I just deleted it w/o trying to play it.

I guess it just copied the database as is, complete with information about active recordings. Understandable, just unexpected. Don't know if this would have included the "Folder for the recently deleted" as I had permanently deleted everything.