Windows MP 10 and "server threw exception"

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by mddavid, Mar 25, 2006.

1. mddavid

mddavid New Member

Mar 14, 2006

Advertisements

I have been trying to transfer Tivo recordings from my PC to my Pocket PC using Windows Media Player 10. I now have a DVD Decoder that is compatible with WMP 10. Before I got the new DVD Decoder I was getting an error message when trying to synch that "the server threw an exception". I went to Microsofts website and found that I needed a DVD Decoder that was WMP 10 compatible, so I got one. I am still getting the same error message.
    I also tried cleaning the caches by clicking on Tools, Options, Devices, Advanced, Delete files.
    I tried playing with the quality level of the recording.
    Nothing seems to work. Same message, "the server threw an exception". I am able to transfer audio files as well as video files that don't need to be converted or have the quality changed to decrease the file size.
    Any ideas??

2. mick1016

mick1016 New Member

Sep 25, 2005
    I have the same problem. I haven't upgraded my decoder yet, because I'm not sure that's the problem since I was able to transfer 2 Tivo recordings to my Pocket PC before hitting this dead end.

Sometimes I also get an "RPC server not available".

Any help would be appreciated.

3. Andrewp75

Andrewp75 New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Washington DC
    Anyone get any help on this one yet?

Thanks!

A

4. mick1016

mick1016 New Member

Sep 25, 2005
    I tries the nvidia and intervideo codecs--same error message. The media player encoder also crashed twice on my repeated efforts to transfer the files.

5. mick1016

mick1016 New Member

Sep 25, 2005

Advertisements

I saw on another help forum for PDA's that they believed Sonic Cineplayer created codec conflicts and suggested uninstalling. I did and used the Microsoft DECCheck Utility to designate the Intervideo codec as preferred. Same result.

Decided to randomly installed codecs that the utility said were incompatible with WMP10. Lo and Behold--the Sonic codec (which is from MyDVD 5.0--not the latest) worked. Even though I didn't use the Intervideo codec or the cineplayer which I uninstalled, I am hesitant to make any changes while it seems to be working.