Windows Media Player -> WMV format

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by csell, Aug 15, 2007.

1. csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've seen many people say on here that Windows Media Player 10 (or greater) can convert tivo files to WMV. I cannot seem to see any way of doing this. Can anyone explain to me how this can be done within Windows Media Player? What I'm ultimately attempting to do is transfer files to my new Zune.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. hutchca

hutchca New Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I don't know about the Zune but I use a Windows Smartphone and WMPlayer converts .tivo files to .wmv for that. (with one important caveat detailed at the end.)

I'm using Microsoft Activesync 4.5 with a Cingular (HTC) 2125 and Windows Media Player 11. I don't know if the Zune uses ActiveSync but I assume the process would be the same in Windows Media Player.

I just drag the .tivo file from now playing to the sync list and hit the sync button.
    It converts to a small .wmv and transfers the file to my phones storage card. Takes about 10 minutes to convert and sync a 1 hour TV show recorded at medium quality.
    The end result is a unprotected .wmv file with a resolution of 160x120

There's an annoying glitch though that causes the whole process to fail if I so much as move the mouse once the conversion has started.
    I found that if I hit the 'Sync' button and walk away from the PC until it's done it works fine.
    If I try to multitask and do anything else on the PC, as soon as I switch to another window the conversion stops and fails with a red circle.

So if you are getting conversion failures, try leaving the PC alone for a few minutes until the conversion is finished.
    I'm curious if it's just me or if this happens to others also.