Windows Home Server 2011

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by teddykgb715, Jul 19, 2011.

1. teddykgb715

teddykgb715 New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Hey everyone,

Are there directions somewhere for getting PyTivo set up with WHS 2011?

I've had PyTivo set up for a while and it's worked great, but I recently changed my setup to where I converted my big tower into a server running WHS 2011 and added a small Zotac mini-pc as my primary front-end machine. I generalized my OS drive and transferred it to the Zotac so i'm still running the same configurations as I was before.

The main thing I used PyTivo for was pushing video files to my Tivo over the network, and now that no longer works. Is it possible to use the PyTivo installed on the Zotac machine to push video files from the Server to the Tivo?

Thanks!

Ted

2. teddykgb715

teddykgb715 New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Just bumping this..... Can anyone help a guy out? :)

3. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Is the zotac running windows?

Is the server seen as a drive map while on the zotac?

This setup should work. I am using similar with an old low power laptop as the front end and a Synology NAS as the server.

4. teddykgb715

teddykgb715 New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Yes, Zotac is running W7 and I have the drive in the server with the videos mapped. I'm thinking that I don't have the config set up correctly in pyTivo. What is the path you use?

5. jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Take a look at the setup instructions for pytivo under windows in my signature link.

On my system, the video share is simply:

Z:\Video Archive\

Z is already mapped on that machine to the network share. pyTivo pushes HD video to my Premiere at 75+ MB/sec, much faster than real time.

6. teddykgb715

teddykgb715 New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Thanks JC, I actually figured it out last night so I'm back up and running!

7. teddykgb715

teddykgb715 New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    JC, do you have pyTivo running as a service? If so, how'd you get it to work?

8. Aug 1, 2011 #8 of 17
    jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    I do not use pytivo as a service. Prefer to keep it in a cmd window so I can watch what is going on when I need to. Normally the window is just minimized. I disliked the hidden service.

9. Aug 1, 2011 #9 of 17
    teddykgb715

teddykgb715 New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Understandable. So you're saying you aren't familiar with getting it to run as a service like I'd like to? :)

10. teddykgb715

teddykgb715 New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    uh, what?

11. jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    It was a mention that running pytivo on a windows box, moving HD video from the server to the tivo (2 operations) still results in a transfer at near the maximum capability of the tivo. Having the files and the pytivo installation on seperate parts of the network does not seem to negatively impact usage from the tivo. Or were you asking something else?

12. teddykgb715

teddykgb715 New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Ah, I see now, wasn't catching that.

That set up still requires me to have the windows machine on though, which I may not always have in my new house where my theater room will be on a different floor than the windows machine. This is the main reason why I want it to be running as a service on the WHS so that if I'm downstairs and want to pull a movie to the Tivo I don't have to do anything other than pull up the shares on the Tivo.

13. noseph

noseph New Member

Oct 13, 2003
    MA
    You can always set your WHS to auto admin logon (google it) and then place a shortcut to the file that launches pyTivo in the Administrator startup folder.

14. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

one oddity of this- at least on the original version of WHS- that strikes people with headless systems-

if you do an auto log in admin to run a program you need to RDP in with the /console switch in order to get to the same desktop. Otherwise it starts an admin login and auto runs all your stuff. If you just normally RDP in then it opens a second instance of everythign and you foul up servers with ports and the like.

15. teddykgb715

teddykgb715 New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Whoa you just went over my head. I understand what you're saying, but I don't know how to RDP in with the /console switch.

16. noseph

noseph New Member

Oct 13, 2003
    MA
    I currently use this method and my WHS is headless. Maybe I wasn't specific enough. You setup "Administrator" to auto logon and from your WHS Console you logon with the account that you have setup to have "Administrative Rights", this account does not have the same startup folder as "Administrator". With the WHS add-in WHS Advanced Admin Console you can easily administer various administrator functions from your console and never need to run Remote Desk Top.

17. davel.usa

davel.usa New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Thanks for the info - going to try and set this up on my new WHS 2011 setup