Windows 7 MAK Problems viewing videos or pc transfer

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by cdjohnson, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Nov 7, 2009 #1 of 39
    cdjohnson

cdjohnson New Member

Apr 7, 2003

Advertisements

Ever since upgrading from Vista to Windows 7, I've been having problems and TivoDesktop 2.8 hasn't resolved the problem.

Here's the run-down.

When I install Tivo Desktop 2.7 or 2.8 to my system that was cleaned with TivoCleaner, the installer prompts me for my Media Access Key. I enter it. The install succeeds.

At this point, I can view all my videos that I've transferred to my PC since it was Vista with Windows Media Player (WMP 12). Roxio can also view them.

I try to connect to my 2 tivo's. No go. It complains that the Media Access Key isn't correct. I click on File/Set Media Access Key and it's not set. No red warning text. I set my MAK again. Now I can connect to both my Tivo's (I had to disable my Avast AntiVirus to be able to actually transfer a file though).

But now, I can't view any of my videos using WMP. I get the dreaded C00D11B1 error.

If I uninstall/clean/reinstall and enter the MAK during install, then I can see my vids again, but can't connect to my Tivos.

It seems to me that there is a bug in the way that Tivo is storing the DRM encrytion data... I've called customer support and after 30 minutes, they told me to install a freeware codec (K-LITE2, which is actually a collection of codecs). I knew that this wouldn't help since my Tivo Plus codec works just fine with the installer's MAK applied... but I tried anyway... no change. Same behavior.

Luckily I have an XP box in my basement which still works fine in every aspect... however, this is annoying.

Anyone else seeing this behavior or has any suggestions? I tried exporting/importing the registry settings for the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TiVo\SharingKeys keys, but it had no affect.

2. Nov 7, 2009 #2 of 39
    Kevin D42

Kevin D42 Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Chris,

I am having similar problems. Based on my review of the transfer logs, i agree that it has something to do with how the MAK is retrieved for tivo to PC transfers.

I do not beleive there is anything unique about my system; Windows 7 64-bit, i have iTunes and quicktime installed but no other software that is tivo related, other then TF 2.8.

If you find a solution, please post it.

3. Nov 8, 2009 #3 of 39
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    You can decrypt and read the MAK that's actually stored in the SharingKeys registry key with the codec utility in the sticky at the top of this forum. I don't know if that will help, but at least you could see if there's a difference in what's stored there depending on how you set the MAK.

This is a long shot, but when it's set so that you can see your DVRs and transfer files can you play the new files? There was a post over at TiVo's forums with a similar problem playing MP4 files. It turned out that files dated before Desktop was installed were considered copy protected for some reason. The poster found a Windows port of "touch" and just updated the file dates to fix it.

4. Nov 8, 2009 #4 of 39
    cdjohnson

cdjohnson New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    I ran the TDCM utility on my working XP machine and 7 machines.

On the XP machine, when the MAK was set by the installer, I got an error 13 when trying to retrieve the key. I set the key using TivoDesktop. Now the TDCM can see the correct MAK. WMP was able to view the .tivo vids before and after setting the MAK.

On the W7 machine, when the MAK was set by the installer, I got an error 234 when trying to retrieve the key. After setting it, then the MAK was visible, but I again can't play .tivo vids.

When I transfer files AFTER setting the MAK on W7 (can't play, but can transfer), the newly transferred files can't be played.

So it appears that the MAK used to transfer the file is fine. But the MAK used to decode by the filter isn't.

5. Nov 8, 2009 #5 of 39
    MikeRadio

MikeRadio New Member

Jan 6, 2003

Advertisements

I am having this exact same problem... The miniute you put the MAK in th Tivo Desktop you lose access to all old recorded shows. They play fine before you do it (but you can't transfer anything from your tivos).

Has ANYONE found a workaround or solution to this.. It is VERY frustrating.....

Thanks
    Mike

6. Nov 8, 2009 #6 of 39
    Kevin D42

Kevin D42 Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Well, we are narrowing down the issue. Anybody from Tivo (TivoJerry?) listening?

I can provide logs if that would help.

7. Nov 8, 2009 #7 of 39
    MikeRadio

MikeRadio New Member

Jan 6, 2003
    Yes.. something is messing up those old recordings when you put the MAK into the program now!! Please help.

8. Nov 9, 2009 #8 of 39
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Weird. When I installed 2.8 on XP it set the MAK perfectly using the installer. It plays old and new files and transfers just fine. TDCM also decodes the MAK with no problems, so they haven't changed the basic encryption method that they use to store it in the registry. I don't have W7 yet so I can't test that end of things.

In your Windows user profile directory, look in the "Local Settings\Temp\TiVoDesktopLogs" subdirectory. They finally started keeping a verbose installation log (yay TiVo). If you zip it up and post it I can run it through a Microsoft analyzer to see if there's any clues.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is a real PITA method to refresh the security certificates on the TiVo itself. It takes quite a while but it may be worth trying. First, make sure that the MAK on your TiVo matches the one in Desktop and your account online. Relink your TiVo account in Desktop just for good measure, then disable downloads & transfers in your account online. Wait a few hours for their servers to sync up, force a daily call, and reboot the TiVo. When it comes back up the TiVoToGo line in the System Information screen should read "i,i,i". If it doesn't, repeat the wait-call-reboot cycle until it does. At that point re-enable downloads & transfers online and go through the whole sync process again until the TiVoToGo status reads "a,a,a".

9. Nov 9, 2009 #9 of 39
    MikeRadio

MikeRadio New Member

Jan 6, 2003
    This has nothing to do with all that.. The issue happens when you enbtr the MAK key online... Lose ability to watch older shows (gain ability to xfer whos over however).

10. cdjohnson

cdjohnson New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    I plan on calling support again, but won't hold my breath. In the mean time I'm trying to get Galleon to work. I hadn't used it for a couple of years since TivoDesktop worked so well.

11. MikeRadio

MikeRadio New Member

Jan 6, 2003
    Galleon DOES WORK... I can transfer shows with it and then they are watchable WITHOUT putting the MAK Key into tivo desktop (you can put it in Galleon)....

How come not everyone is having this issue? I see other issues similar on here with Win 7 but not a ton of people with this....

Once that MAK code is in, I cant watch anything TIvo.. Media Player error... anyone have a solution??

12. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I have this question too.
    I'm using TD 2.8 (free version) on the Windows 7 release candidate and have had no problems*.
    I have noticed that a lot of the "I have a problem" threads started up after the official release of Windows 7 that makes me wonder if code was changed/added.
    I'd like to see a poll on whether or not users have a problem and what version of Windows 7 they're using.

* I did have problems with 2.8 at first, but it was because I didn't follow the installation instructions.

13. got2golf

got2golf New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    I have the exact same problem. Right now I am transfering programs before I hit the road for work. I will re-install Tivodesktop and watch my shows.

Hopefully there will be a fix soon.

I have and RC version of Windows 7.

14. MikeRadio

MikeRadio New Member

Jan 6, 2003
    I can not figure this out.... SIMPLY enterting the correct MAK DISABLES toe codecs so you can not watch ANY files, either thos already on the computer or new ones xfeerred over.. with NO MAK put in of course you can not xfer new files but can watch old ones (and using Galleon to xfer you CAn watch those so this is something in tivo desktop software that breaks it).

If anyone has ANY ideas please message!!

15. Kevin D42

Kevin D42 Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Mike

Pretty sure TD 2.8/Windows 7 has a bug where the MAK is either written or read from the registry incorrectly on some/many systems.

Not sure there is anything to do but bug tivo.

16. pixxels

pixxels New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    I have Win7 RTM x64 and TD 2.8. I can browse my tivo's but can't transfer or watch any shows. :mad: They transfer find on my Vista machine.

I really want to burn shows to DVD since my wife is traveling and shows are backing up. I just picked up Nero LiquidTV and I'm going to try that.

-scott

17. MikeRadio

MikeRadio New Member

Jan 6, 2003
    I have it working now...

Here is what I did...

1 - Uninstall Tivo Desktop

2 - Right click PROPERTIES on the Tivo Desktop INSTALLER exe and select Run as Administrator.

3 - It will install. Enter MAK code as asked.

4 - Right click the Tivo program Icon and also go to properties and select run as administrator....

If you now run the programn and look at set MAK key you will see it is safely in there... (Hit cancel.. its all there and working)...

Make sure to run BOTH as Admin or you get a version incorrect error....

Obviously, this is a PERMISSIONS issue with Tivo Desktop.. this solves it...

Hope this helped someone.. I took a half dozen suggestions, played with it awhile and this made it work fine.. all xfers fine.. past shows able to watch...

:up:
    Mike

18. Kevin D42

Kevin D42 Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Mike

Your procedure worked for me.

Thanks

19. ozdoc

ozdoc New Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Mike,
    When you had the issues did you have the User Access Control in Win7 enabled or disabled? I'm wondering if the same thing can be achieved by globally disabling the UAC?

20. jes91504

jes91504 New Member

Jun 24, 2004
    This procedure worked for me as well, after having tried several other things the past few days.

After going through it, the Tivo didn't see the PC in "Now Playing" (but did for photos and music), so I restarted the Tivo, and then it didn't see the PC at all. But restarting the Tivo server on the PC again made everything right.

Now I just hope it stays that way!

Thanks again,
    John S.