Windows 7 Beta with Tivo Desktop?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by web1b, Jan 15, 2009.

1. web1b

web1b Member

Oct 2, 2006

Advertisements

Does the Tivo Desktop software work properly with the Windows 7 beta or do you need to wait for a future version of the Tivo Desktop software after Windows 7 is officially released?

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    It works to download recordings from the TiVo. I haven't tried it much beyond that since I installed Windows 7 on one of my PCs.

3. web1b

web1b Member

Oct 2, 2006
    I almost never download videos from the Tivo. I mostly use the Tivo Desktop to transfer video podcasts from my PC to the Tivo because there isn't enough selection of video podcasts that be download directly to the Tivo, so that's the feature I'm most concerned about.
    Once in a while, I also use it for viewing photos and streaming music from iTunes.

4. webin

webin New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Hillsboro,...
    I'm sure I'll be saying this a lot in the coming months (all over the web)... if it works with Vista there's a very good chance it will work in Win7.

5. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002

Advertisements

Some apps won't install, because thw Windows version is 6.1 instead of 6.0 and they just don't allow it. I think that was the case with TiVo Desktop when it came out for Vista.

Either way, TiVo Desktop installs fine in Windows 7 Beta. I haven't actually used it yet though, just have it installed and running. pyTiVo (wmcbrine fork 8.20.08) works fine too.

6. Feb 4, 2009 #6 of 43
    hdfatboy2003@mac

hdfatboy2003@mac Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I have it installed and working but for the life of me it won't accept my Plus Key. I keep getting an invalid plus key error. Anyone else with this problem?

Updated Info: I put desktop and the plusupgrade .exe into Visa compat mode and it accepted by key.

7. Feb 7, 2009 #7 of 43
    montivette

montivette Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Minnesota
    Good tip. I wish I had read it earlier. I could not get the key to work either.

Thought Maybe cause my original version was too old so I bought another key. It did not work either.

Did the compatibility mode and it took.

However I tried to transfer two videos from PC to the Tivo but I keep on getting Microsoft C++ Runtime errors on TivoServer.exe stating the application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

8. Feb 7, 2009 #8 of 43
    BankZ

BankZ Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Works great for me on Windows 7 x64

9. Feb 7, 2009 #9 of 43
    SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    Windows 7 works great on Virtualbox if you want to run multiple OS's.

10. i2k

i2k Member

Apr 2, 2008
    the key issue can also be solved by pasting your key into a registry value

11. i2k

i2k Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Has anyone had the Tivo Desktop Plus auto transfer work for them?

12. Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Oct 15, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I keep getting an error towards the effect of "TivoServer.exe" (forget exact name) has terminated" over and over. I had the issues with the plus key working too, but I got around it by installing an older version and then upgrading over it on Win 7 x64.

13. seggers

seggers Member

Oct 6, 2008
    WNY
    I run the 64 bit version and have Desktop Plus. I got a 3+Gb file off of my S3, including changing the registered PC name at TiVo.

Haven't tried anything.

As an aside, so far I am liking my time with W7. It's a shame that MS will make another pigs ear of it with the number of different versions....

Seggers

14. markdmac

markdmac New Member

May 15, 2006
    I was running Desktop 2.6.2 on Vista for a while and all worked well. After upgrading to Windows 7 I noticed that my slideshows did not work well. I could view a few individual photos from my PC using my TiVo, but not all. I upgraded to version 2.7 of TiVo Desktop and all of a sudden had to install the Bonjour Service from Apple. That service seems to freak out periodically and if I stop it TiVo Desktop won't run. I've also experienced TiVo desktop blue screening my Windows 7.

I'd first like to know if anyone knows of a way to eliminate the Bonjour Service? And if not does anyone have any configuration tips they can point to to make this stable in Windows 7?

15. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
    I just spent the last several hours on the phone with both TiVo Support AND Digital River.

I could install TiVo Desktop 2.7 just fine in Windows 7 Beta but it would NOT accept my TiVo Desktop Plus License Key. It kept telling me I had an invalid key. I went as far as to have Digital River (TiVo's online license key fulfilment people) issue me a new key and that didn't work.

After they all gave up, I was about to try installing 2.6.2. But it occurred to me to try running the BOTH the installer and the app in Vista compatibility mode.

VOILA!!!! That worked!

Tivo accepted my Desktop Plus License Key.

We are off to the races!

...Dale

16. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
  17. BungeeCork

BungeeCork New Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Just to be clear - you had the issue with the plus key - which was resolved by installing an earlier version and then upgrading it - bu you still have the TivoServer.exe has terminated (or similar) message over and over?

I have the same problem. I installed 2.7 directly using the compatability mode tip, and installation finished and everything worked well for a few minutes - but than the "has terminated" messages began and they keep repeating every few minutes.

18. seggers

seggers Member

Oct 6, 2008
    WNY
    I have started to have problems with W7 and 2.7. It kept resetting evry 30 secs or so.

Someone over on AVS tells me to get shot of it and go bck 2.6.2. Anyone here know anything about this?

I will admit that I changed the router recently (wife bought a netbook and actually had the cheek to want wireless! :eek:) but putting the old one back doesn't change 2.7s behaviour.

Seggers

19. dab9324

dab9324 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Cincinnati,...
    I installed W7 RC on a system this week and installed Desktop 2.7 last night. I transferred a file (from a series 2) and viewed it with no problem. I am not running the server service so I do not know if that would be a problem or not. I will have to try it.

20. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I've just installed Windows 7 RC 32 bit.
    With TD 2.7, I can see all my Tivos on the computer and have no problem downloading shows.
    However, the Tivos can't see my computer even though I have a tivo file in the My Recordings folder.

Any suggestions?