1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 64bit and MSE - PyTivo Shares disappearing randomly

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Morpheus101, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Morpheus101

Morpheus101 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    I have Windows 7 and was previously used Norton and never had a problem with loosing my PyTivo shares. I'm now using MSE and the Windows 7 firewall. My system is all on the local network. It can run for some time without losing the shares but going into the TiVo sometimes at random all the shares are missing. If I reset the PyTivo service the shares come back.

Firewall settings...

Inbound (TCP-In) Local Port: 9032 Profiles: All
    Outbound (TCP-Out) Remote Port: 9032 Profiles: All
    Outbound (UDP-Out) Remote Port: 5353 Profiles: All

Pytivo.conf

Code:
    [Server]
    port=9032
    ffmpeg=C:\Program Files (x86)\pyTivo\bin\ffmpeg.exe
    temp=C:\Users\Public\Documents\pyTivo
    tivo_password = <removed>
    tivo_mak = <removed>
    tivo_username = <removed>

[_tivo_SD]

[Movie Central]
    type=video
    path=F:\Video\Movies

[TV Central]
    type = video
    path = F:\Video\TV

[TV Nancy]
    type = video
    path = F:\Video\N-TV

[Pictures]
    type = photo
    path = F:\Pictures

[Music]
    type = music
    path = F:\Music

[Admin]
    type=admin

[loggers]
    keys=root

[handlers]
    keys=console,rotfile

[formatters]
    keys=basicform

[logger_root]
    level=DEBUG
    handlers=console,rotfile

[handler_console]
    class=StreamHandler
    formatter=basicform
    args=(sys.stdout,)

[handler_rotfile]
    class=handlers.RotatingFileHandler
    formatter=basicform
    args=('C:\Users\Public\Documents\pyTivo\debug.log', 'a', 10485760, 5)

[formatter_basicform]
    format=%(asctime)s %(levelname)-5s %(name)s: %(message)s
    I'm not sure what is wrong here but possibly something with the firewall settings or the tivo.conf. Maybe there is a better way to configure?

TIA...

2. JulienPDX77

JulienPDX77 New Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Why is windows firewall even on at all? I bet its the culprit. a "real" firewall through your router blocking stuff from outside your network is all you usually need at home....

3. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    If only that was still true... *sigh*

I spent a lot of my IT career having to take the initiative to educate corporate top management about the various and growing security threats, and why they should make policies now, before a major breach happens. Looking back, the worst corporate IT attacks were puny in comparison to what the average home PC comes under whenever it's connected to the Internet.

Back when it took an unscrupulous content provider and a user who didn't know to "not push that button!" to get resident servers onto a computer, the Internet was still small enough that we could use a combination of edge firewalls and proactive PC maintenance to stop most of it. These days we rely on so much client-side software to do legitimate stuff that it's a much harder challenge to keep the bad stuff out.

A good and properly configured edge (where your LAN connects to the ISP service drop) firewall with stateful packet inspection is a must. But it's important to know that they only know about IP addresses, ports and application layers that they can recognize. Having a layer of security that inspects processes is the next level of protection that has become necessary, not just a luxury. And that can only work when it's on the machine that's execution those processes.

I'd think twice before completely disabling the one thing that can protect against the currently most common exploits.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You shouldn't have installed PyTivo in the 'Program Files (x86)' folder, or you can run into all sorts of problems.

5. Morpheus101

Morpheus101 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    I've been running PyTivo from that folder for at least 4-5 years with no problems.

It happened again, no shares. Restarted the PyTivo service and the shares appeared.

What about the log would it capture this happening?

6. Morpheus101

Morpheus101 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    After some testing I found that Windows 7 has a Private Network and a Public Network activated in in the Firewall setting. If I disable the Public part of the firewall the shares stick. As soon as I enable the Public Network, within a few minutes the Shares completely disappear or there is only one share showing.

The Public Network has a 'Unidentified Network' listed in there.

7. Morpheus101

Morpheus101 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    I think I have a stable problem. I can start the TiVo service, and all my shares are there. I have 3 video shares, 1 picture share, and 1 music share. After a few minutes I go back into shows and only 1 video share is showing. The music and picture shares are also missing. I can see the files in the 1 remaining video share. I can have the share showing on the TiVo under shows at the bottom, go in to my PC and restart the TiVo service, return to the TiVo and all 3 shares are showing under shows at the bottom, with me doing nothing.

8. Morpheus101

Morpheus101 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    I couldn't take it so I reverted back to SEP and my shares are now stable again.

If someone has a solution I'll give it another go. The three major players are

1) Windows 7 64bit
    2) Microsoft Security Essentials
    3) VMWare

I believe the problem has to do with VMWare showing up in the Public Network (VMNet1 and VMNet8).

9. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    In your situation, you may want to make use of the "beacon" keyword in your pyTivo.conf.

10. Morpheus101

Morpheus101 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    I set "beacon=true" and so far it is working. So simple and was such a pain in my backside!

Thanks....

11. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
  12. curt1s

curt1s New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Hi all,

I had this exact same problem for over a year now. I have it working now by doing two things:

1. Setting zeroconf to off
    2. Setting beacon to 192.168.2.255 (note the first three octets should be the ones specifically for your router).

I used to use the exact IP of my Tivo for beacon, but it is DHCP, and it changed and I got annoyed with adding multiple IP addresses to the beacon line. Basically I found I was debugging the same issue of my Tivo not working about once per year, and I never quite figured out it is the same issue, so a year later same debugging process until I entered yet another IP address to the beacon line. The typical definition on insanity. I reflect back on my life and I am a bit embarrassed by this.

Note also that my procedure is completely debugging by superstition. I have no idea which of those two made it work, or if either of them did, and it might just break again later. The sad thing too is I am a professional programmer with over 20 years of experience, and I refuse to look at the code to debug. I am way too lazy. Ironically I spend more time probably by debugging by superstition.

Good luck!