Windows 10 updates mess up media player playback. Reinstall fixed until latest update.

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Rick01775, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Rick01775

Rick01775 New Member

Oct 1, 2018

Advertisements

For several months I've had to periodically reinstall TiVo desktop to get the TiVo codec to work in Media Player on Windows 10. However, now this only causes Media Player to play the .TiVo audio, no video. What can I do? (I tried pyTivo, but that's giving me a traceback decoding a DNS message when it starts up, so it will be a pain for me to try and figure it out.)

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Why not just use KMTTG to decrypt the .tivo file to .mpg or .mp4?

-KP

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    A common issue with downloaded shows with only audio, no video is that its in MPEG4 format, which need to be downloaded by TS (Enable Faster transfer in Tivo Desktop).

If it was already enabled, try downloading again without TS enabled.

4. Rick01775

Rick01775 New Member

Oct 1, 2018
    The shows played correctly until a few days ago, and were downloaded from my TiVO 3 a year ago, so nothing new there. All were downloaded using "slow" transfer so that they could be transferred back to the TiVo, but that hasn't worked (TiVo doesn't see any recorded files on my PC.) I keep using "slow" in case I find out how to get transfers back working someday.

5. Rick01775

Rick01775 New Member

Oct 1, 2018

Advertisements

I have hundreds, no, thousands of saved programs from my TiVo over the years. I'd rather not have to individually decrypt each one. But that would be better than nothing, I suppose.

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    KMTTG does that in sequence as well as other jobs such as download shows, passes, etc.

kpeters59 likes this.
  7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    What program are you using to try and transfer shows back? TiVo Desktop, pyTivo or pyTivo Desktop?

Scott

8. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    With Tivo Desktop, you may need to update the certificate to be able to transfer back to Tivo.