Win XP SP2 user - desktop installation issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jkalnin, Aug 29, 2007.

1. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    Sorry for spamming the board with this issue all over the place, but I am really angry now.

I am running XP SP2 and ever since Desktop Install 2.5 uninstalled Tivo Desktop 2.3, I've been unable to install any version. Desktop installer 2.5 (2.4a, and 2.3a) all give me the same error now:

"The Installation ended prematurely because an error occurred."

I went into the registry and deleted everything named tivo, and there is nothing left on my computer with the name tivo for that matter. Nothing is working and my frustration level is at an all time high.

I don't care what version of Tivo Desktop I can get installed, please help me get any of them working!!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: CURSE YOU TIVO!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. JacksTiVo

JacksTiVo TiVo User since 2001

Jan 7, 2006
    New Jersey
    With Windows XP you can restore your system to a previous version.
    Go to:control panel > performance & maintenance > System Restore (upper left column) > click Restore my computer to an earlier time > click "next" > then follow the instructions to restore the system to a date in which you still had TiVo Desktop 2.3.

3. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    Thanks for the help, but I already did that and it didn't work. I restored to Monday, before I made the mistake of upgrading (on Tuesday night). Then when I restarted it said Tivo Desktop couldn't run because a necessary DLL file was missing, and to re-install the software.

Guess how that worked out....
    :thumbsdown:

4. JacksTiVo

JacksTiVo TiVo User since 2001

Jan 7, 2006
    New Jersey
    Perhaps when you went into the registry to delete TiVo related items you inadvertently deleted the DLL file. Perhaps it is in the trash bin. Do you have Norton Utilities or similar housekeeping software on you PC? Try running it to correct registry errors and orphan links.

5. jsysgrj

jsysgrj JohnGalt

Jul 22, 2005
    Did you go in an uninstall the original tivo desktop you had?
    If not try doing so now but since you played with the registry(did you take a back-up of your registry?) you may not be able to uninstall it.

If the uninstall works exit and reboot your systme before you try to reinstall TiVo Desktop

Gene