Win 10 Fall Creators Update may disable Windows Media Player

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by dlfl, Oct 19, 2017.

1. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    There is conflicting info on whether the Fall Creators update disables WMP. But even if it does there are numerous web sites providing the simple instructions for re-installing it, e.g.:
    Windows 10 update removes Windows Media Player [Update]

I post this because some of us use WMP to view downloaded .tivo files. It would not be surprising if you have to uninstall/reinstall TiVo Desktop after the Fall update.

krkaufman, Mikeguy and fcfc2 like this.
  2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Per an update at the article:

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    That update applies to the "Windows Insider build". Whether the WMP disable will be part of most users Fall Creators update isn't clear to me. Windows hasn't seen fit to push that update to my PC yet -- what determines when they do that is a mystery to me.

At any rate the linked article provides the simple instructions for getting WMP back, if necessary.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  5. Puppy76

Puppy76 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2004
    I can say that Windows Media Player still exists in my copies of 10 with Fall Creator's Update, but (as per that other thread) I can no longer play MPEG2 in "Movies & TV" which I'd sort of thought of as the updated version of Windows Media Player.

6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I guess that I didn't see Microsoft's statement as to not removing WMP from Win10 as limited to an Insider edition.

7. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    the migration to 1709 broke mpeg4 video transfers using tivo desktop 2.8.3 (only the audio file was being transferred).

using the "repair" option in "programs and features" fixed the break.

8. Puppy76

Oct 6, 2004
    Wow, that's super weird! Would think Tivo Desktop would either work, or not work, not that it could somehow...well is it possible it...surely it was transferring everything, but somehow the decode thingee Tivo desktop installs wasn't working?

9. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    the file sizes were tiny once the transfer was complete, that was the first clue.

10. Puppy76

Oct 6, 2004
    Wow, that is BIZARRE! Glad you got it working!

11. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    That sounds like it was being transferred in PS mode versus TS mode (TS mode is required for MPEG4).

Scott

12. Puppy76

Oct 6, 2004
    So I've tried to Bing this, and...it sounds like they're container formats. If I'm understanding this right, TV broadcasts (and I assume also cable?) are TS, so the TiVo would be writing down a TS stream from the airwaves...

So how does that relate to using TiVo Desktop? I know there's a second transfer mode added to the later versions of TiVo Desktop, but it doesn't use the language TS or PS, it says something like "check here for faster downloads" or something like that. I've left that unchecked for my Bolt, as 1) the downloads are already crazy fast on my Bolt, and 2) I'm not sure if it hurts playback compatibility.

13. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    it was a program damaged during the os migration, fixed by uninstalling/reinstalling the software. ts mode had never been disabled in the settings, so if the setting changed, it was done in the background.

14. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    TD's "faster transfers" = TS mode, default is PS.

15. Puppy76

Oct 6, 2004
    Huh...interesting! Would the "faster transfers"/TS mode mean the file sizes end up larger? Does it break compatibility with anything?

File transfers are already lightning fast (excuse the pun) on the Bolt with "normal"/PS mode. I regularly see over 30MB/s. Stuff that took literally the better part of the day on my TiVo HD now takes <1 hour. Not worth upgrading for me for that, but it is a nice benefit!

16. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Slightly, with MPEG2. Very much, with h.264, since those transfer as audio-only in PS mode.

TS files don't work with classic tivodecode (and present ongoing issues with newer decoders).

17. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    For what it's worth, I didn't have that issue with the upgrade on my laptop.

Scott

18. Puppy76

Oct 6, 2004
    At least one of my desktops TiVo Desktop took forever to load the first time after Fall Creator's Update, and then forced me to renter my MAK, but after that acted normal (thankfully!)

Mikeguy likes this.
  19. rad1701

rad1701 Member

Aug 17, 2003
    I'm also having trouble using Windows Media Player to play .tivo files now. I can't easily advance to a part of the video. It seems to sort of lock up at times. Is there a fix for this or a better player out there for .tivo files on my Win 10 PC?