Wimbledon

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by John McE, Jun 16, 2011.

1. John McE

John McE New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Unless I am imagining it, I read somewhere on this forum, several months ago, a reasurance from Virgin that by the time Wimbledon 2011 came around, we'd be able to access the multiple game feeds on the TIVO that will be available on the old V+ box. With only 4 days to go, there is still no sign of this happening. Has this been quietly dropped, or are we going to have an update to facilitate this in the next couple of days?

2. deshepherd

deshepherd New Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Bristol, UK
    No, I think the Olympics was the event which was "guaranteed" to have red button working.

3. deshepherd

deshepherd New Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Bristol, UK
    Just done a search and I think the relevant statement is

I.e. looks like "red-button" behaviour will be handled via an app that will tap into the BBC IP streams (like iPlayer now does). Positive is that it may allow access to more than is on existing red-button but negative is that its probably tied up with the BBCs overall roll-out plans for apps (so I expect this means we have to wait until the iPad version is done since that is clearly the most important platform in the universe as far as the BBC is concerned).

4. John McE

John McE New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Oh, obviously wishful thinking on my part. But I am certainly going to miss not having so many matches to choose from. And very possibly next year as well. Bummer.

5. alextegg

alextegg Tall Member

May 21, 2002
    Kingston...
    You CANNOT be serious!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist it :D

6. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Why not? I did. Far too obvious; yes, even for me :p ;)

7. alextegg

alextegg Tall Member

May 21, 2002
    Kingston...
    :rolleyes:

8. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Oh come on Alex! Lighten up :)

9. Ernie_C

Ernie_C New Member

Feb 20, 2011
    You could revert to using the digital Freeview tuner that your TV no doubt has and get red button support for Wimbledon that way.

10. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    That's actually a very good point.

11. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Although the Freeview offering is only half that of the offering from the VM (non-TiVo) and Sky platforms.

12. John McE

John McE New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    And there could well be even less options this year, since the Beeb had to cut back on their digital extra channels.

13. Faz

Faz New Member

May 2, 2004
    London, UK
    IIRC the Freeview feeds were simply a couple of additional channels.
    Surely Virgin can add a few more channels?

14. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    I think last year Virgin and Sky had four extra channels - although usually BBC1/BBC2 was jumping between these - so they was rarely the choice of more than four matches.

15. John McE

John McE New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Best news I've read in years is that, according to a BBC press release "selected matches will be available with or without commentary". John McEnroe and Tracey Austin have been ruining all the best matches for the past few years, and Andrew Castle these days just never stops droning on. The thought of being able to watch a top class match without their inanities has me drooling with antipation.

Maybe by 2020, we'll have the option of a virtual Dan Maskall doing the commentary!