Will You Try To Change The Cablecard Requirements?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ldudek, Apr 13, 2008.

Will you contact Congress about cable card coding rules?

Poll closed Apr 18, 2008.
  1. Yes, the law needs to be changed

14 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. Yes, but I don't think it will change anything

12 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. No, why bother nothing is going to change

27 vote(s)
    50.9%
  1. ldudek

ldudek New Member

Sep 2, 2007

Advertisements

As it stands now cable companies can pretty much code anything that is digital anyway they see fit. I've learned this from people in this forum who have pointed out the laws and regulations concerning cable cards. Thank you all who responded.

It doesn't make sense however to have channels like ESPN, ESPN2, TBS, and TNT be available to be recorded freely (0x00) but their HD counterparts are not allowed to be transfered (0x02). It doesn't make sense that Time Warner and other cable companies have been given the right to decide what should be copied freely or what should have limitations or not be copied at all.

So we need to try and get the law changed. My understanding of it is the FCC is not involved in this and it has to be done through Congress. If you are interested in doing so feel free to write your Senators or Congressman. I put a sample letter here.

My belief however is that nothing will get changed on this because the majority of people don't own TiVo HD or S3 and those that do won't take the time to actually do this based on the fact that I just mentioned.

So I'd like to see. Will you write your Congressional leaders?

2. Scott D

Scott D Active Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Pasadena, Texas
    How much money will the Congress get if they act upon it? If nothing, then forget it.:eek:

3. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Well there is one other thing besides money that motivates congress to pass laws.

The fear/threat of lost voters. THIS is an ELECTION year... So those up for election will take notice of the TOP issues.

Sadly Cablecard/copy protection ISN'T one of the top issues of concern with our potentional presidential nominees or congress.

However... I will make this one point...

Senator McCain has in the past voted for legislation that HELPS us as consumers AGAINS'T the cable/phone companies.

Obama & Clinton both have NOT supported any legislation that supports the consumer again'st utility/cable/phone companies.

Senator McCain pushed for the legislation that mandated the February 17th, 2009 deadline for Digital/HD TV... AGAINS'T the wishes of Major broadcasting companies.

Obama & Clinton both were again't the legislation for the February 17th, 2009 deadline.

IMHO... Senator McCain is in favor of modern technology & advancing it's capabilities. He even pushes for more NASA... Which helps with Technology.

Think about all that when you go vote in NOVEMBER!

TGC

TGC

4. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    It might change in the future, when more people will want to transfer recorded shows. As it is, the majority of DVR users don't even record the shows in the first place, so this will be the standard for the foreseeable future IMO. I'm pretty sure nothing will change for a while because the copyright holders seem to have pretty good lobbyists.

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003

Advertisements

TexasGrillChief: I'm not going to comment on your politics, but I really must point out that "against" is not a contraction. No apostrophe belongs in it.

ldudek: I'm currently enjoying CCI = 0x00 on all channels (Fios), so I really don't want to see the start of a crackdown that, in my case, could only make things worse.

6. ldudek

ldudek New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    I'm not picking on you but that's a statement you can't back by fact (the part I put in bold).

The only thing I ever watch live is sports and the news. Everything else is on my TiVo's. Or on the computer.

As far as the second part of your statement concerning lobbyist I'm not sure who does the wrist twisting in coming up with these laws but certainly you're on the right track.

7. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    Exactly...

THEIR lobbyists are better then OUR lobbyists....:(

TGC

8. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    Thank you for the english lesson. :D

TGC

9. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    I think he was thinking more along the lines of Cable/Sat company provided DVR's.

The vast majority of TiVo owners do record an average of about 5 to 6 hours of programming a week.

Cable/Sat company provided DVR's record an average of alot less.

TGC

10. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    Just goes to show how easy a Cable/Sat company DVR is to use. or was that Tivo?

11. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Than.

:p

12. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    the copying comes down to market conditions.

Cable companies have a great incentive for people to watch live and create more ad revenue per broadcast.

however as new markets and new advertising models take hold- eg most houses have a DVR and do watch it recorded then they will change - not before.

Why would Congress want to get in the way of that just to promote DVR technology?

in other words - cable cards were about a broad spectrum of Consumer Electronic innovations and new porducts/new jobs.
    Copy protection is about a narrow slice of that Consumer electronic market.

13. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    What, once some level of recording is reached, cable companies┬┤business incentives will flip and it will become advantageous for them to encourage people to use TiVoes over their own DVRs and they┬┤ll allow a key differentiating feature to function as freely as one might expect? :confused:;)

14. Flyinace2000

Flyinace2000 Member

Aug 2, 2005
    I emailed my senators and congressperson.

15. ldudek

ldudek New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Per week? During prime time minus a writers strike I do at least 15 hours and that's a conservative figure. For example this fall on Mondays I know I recorded 5 programs, Tuesday 5, Wednesday about 4, Thursday 6 and Fridays about 4. If HBO got's something going on throw that in there as well. Sunday you can throw in at least another 4 hours, actually 5 because CBS always makes you record longer.:)

16. ldudek

ldudek New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Unfortunately the poll is going pretty much the way I thought. Either people don't think it will help or those that are willing don't think it will help.

I believe that their views are accurate.:(

17. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    The cable company talked my technologically challenged brother into a DVR about two years ago. They showed them how to use it. I showed them how to use it. I still don'y think they use it as other than an HD cable box.

18. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    Well, since the cable companies still don't know what they're doing from a technical standpoint (a separate issue), its not like that on all systems. I don't know if it is supposed to be. However, from a techical standpoint recording SD ESPN on an S2 is not prevented, so it makes no sense to restrict it on an S3. You can consider it an extra feature. But you can not necessarily say that because you can record ESPN on an S2 that you should be able to record ESPN HD on an S3.

Additionally, is this really a cablecard issue (ie, does it also apply to an SA8300HD (or Moto equivalent) on your system?)?

19. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    Do the Cable Co's DVR's allow any transfering of content?? Its not that you can't record, its that you can't transfer. Since the S-2 isn't HD and has been out before the the content protection flag was introduced it isn't surprising that it can transfer the content. I'm new to Stand alone tivo's but my understanding is that the S-2's are recording an analog signal (even if you are watching an HD channel). The Content protection flag is supposed to prevent unauthorised digital coping of digital content.

20. ilh

ilh New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Verizon's DVR allows you to view SD recordings on other STBs. I don't think it yet allows this for HD, but I believe this is in the plans. It does not "transfer" programs but rather streams them. That may allow them to get beyond the "copy" issue since they are not creating another copy.