Will you leave DirecTV when the Series 3 is released?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by AbMagFab, Apr 20, 2006.

Will you leave DirecTV when the Series 3 is released?

  1. Yes, immediately, at any cost

    40 vote(s)
  2. Yes, if it's less than $500

    48 vote(s)
  3. I'll wait to see if other people like it

    35 vote(s)
  4. I'll take the Comcast Tivo if it comes first

    13 vote(s)
  5. I'll stay with DirecTV if they give me 6.2 on my HD Tivo

    48 vote(s)
  6. No, I don't care

    48 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AbMagFab

    AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

    Feb 5, 2001
    The Tivo-owned Series 3 HD Tivo will be out by the end of this year. It is supposed to work with CC 1.x and 2.x (so you can get dual tuners with 2 1.x cards or one 2.x card).

    Since it's owned by Tivo, we'll get the full support of Tivo, all new software when it's released, full MRV and HMO, etc.

    With DirecTV, Tivo has to run everything through DirecTV, and as such we are left with a 3+ year old software version, with no signs of ever getting an upgrade. Even if we do get an upgrade, it will likely be to a crippled 2 year old software version.

    And there's a chance Comcast will come out with their Tivo DVR sooner, but it's unclear if this will be another DirecTV situation where Comcast controls the software rollout.

    What will you do?
  2. hancox

    hancox New Member

    Dec 17, 2004
    My cable company is still the antichrist, but a series 3 Tivo would cause me to (at least) reevaluate my landscape for providers.

    Big issues:

    1) RSN's in HD for D* - when/if (big strike against if no movement)
    2) SV channels for DBS, in general (same)
    3) Addition of national HD (DBS has a much bigger upside over my cable co for this, as most people with 0 chance of FIOS probably have)
    4) CableCard / DBS tuners for MCE boxes (blasphemy here, I know, but having a provider-agnostic DVR is awfully tempting)

    D*'s always going to be a better long term play *on paper* over my cable co, but it's a question of how the rubber meets the road in the next 6-9 months.
  3. bigpuma

    bigpuma Well-Known Member

    Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    For me it really depends on several factors. In October I am moving where I don't think I will be able to get local channels OTA anymore. The area has Covad so the 6412 with TiVo software is not available and I am not sure what HD channels they offer, if any. If the new DirecTV HD DVR is good enough I will probably just stay with them.
  4. Andrew_S

    Andrew_S Member

    Nov 12, 2001
    This wasn't an option on the poll, but I plan on switching to a Windows Media Center box when cable card is supported. More functionality and a much cheaper cost of ownership.
  5. DavidS

    DavidS Member

    Sep 27, 2000
    Dayton Ohio
    Didn't we have this poll a while ago?

    Anyway, I didn't vote because no option applies. I don't plan to switch because I do care. I care that my DTV Tivos provide me good service on the stations that I want, so I see no reason to spend money to switch to cable when I'm not sure how reliable cable will be (It was very unreliable when I left it 7 or 8 years ago.)
  6. teasip

    teasip Member

    Aug 24, 2002
    FiOS available through Verizon within next month (have internet already). No further concern regarding storms affecting picture and frankly, not sure how bad DirecTV really wants me as a customer anyway (have the HR10-250).
  7. ebonovic

    ebonovic has gone his way...

    Jul 24, 2001
    I am not going to "dive" into the TiVo 3... unless by some chance it is sub $200

    If it is less then $200, I will give it a shot... as I always like new toys.

    Above that... I am going to have to wait, or see what the "landscape" is like at the time, with regards the H20, the Home Media Center, and the Microsoft Tuner (for Media Center Systems). The next 18 months are going to be crazy for DVRs

    I do have Comcast as my ISP (only choice), and have their cable service (since it saves me $0.50 a month... go figure). Also if Comcast doesn't release Comcast SportsNet HD to other providers, then I could use the T3 for that... In addition to all the other equipment.

    Plus to have it for hands on comparisons to other products, ect....

    Ah who am I kidding... Even if it is $500, I'll probably find a way to get one.
  8. fatcat220

    fatcat220 New Member

    Mar 29, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    I won't switch to Comcast because they suck in my area. DirecTV is still better, and the HR-10-250 with OTA is working out OK for me right now. The only other option I see on the far horizon is ATT/SBC FiOS - which won't be in my area for another 5 years or so.
  9. BlueMonk

    BlueMonk New Member

    Oct 8, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Not being the most advanced user, I don't really think that the features of a Tivo 3 would motivate me to switch.

    DTV has the following advantages with me right now...
    1. My current HD Tivo works fine.
    2. Picture quality is far better than my experience with digital cable.
    3. My wife knows the channels and how to work the setup we have now.

    The folders would be nice. ABC HD through cable would be an improvement. HMO is redundant in my setup. I love Tivo and want the company to succeed. But hard to motivate myself to spend any money to switch -- much less deal with the hassle.
  10. wmschultz

    wmschultz New Member

    May 26, 2004
    St. Charles, MO
    I voted NO, but I do care. Because I would never go with my Cable Company.
    DirecTV is the only option I care to explore, unless AT&T decides to let me have
    their lightspeed products.

    But I have so much invested in D* hardware, it would be really expensive for me to
    change. 2 HD Tivos, 3 SD Tivos, 1 HD Reciever, 2 SD Receivers.
  11. marcello696

    marcello696 New Member

    Jun 18, 2004
    Temecula, CA
    NFL Sunday Ticket says I cant leave :D

    Also my other option would be Adelphia so D* along with OTA is enough for me right now and by 2007 when HD-DVD and Blu-Ray ramp up that will be my choice for movies so having OTA, HBO, and Sunday Ticket will be all I need
  12. shaown

    shaown Member

    Jun 30, 2002
    I'm not sure when I'll leave exactly, but there is no way I will stay with D* once my HD Tivo becomes unsupported (aka there are national HD channels I can't get, or the NY locals stop being available for me).
    The box I use defines a huge amount of the service level to me, and based on how sucky the R15 is, the chances of me using a HR20 is somewhere near zero.
    If they put 6.2 on the HD Tivo I would prolly stick around a little longer though.
  13. Cudahy

    Cudahy New Member

    Mar 21, 2001
    You won't be able to get Directv with the Series3 Tivo?
  14. askewed

    askewed Snoogins

    Sep 12, 2000

    I was just on the phone with DirecTV getting my signal resent and I took a moment and asked the CSR to tell D* that I'd be leaving and going with Fios (already have the internet) if I lost my TiVo powered HD DVRs... Don't know if that will help.....
  15. Cabinwood

    Cabinwood Well-Known Member TCF Club

    Mar 11, 2000
    North Georgia
    I have no choice but to stay with Directv since I don't get OTA signals and there's no cable here. I guess there's always Dish but my next door neighbors tried to get it and since the satellites are a bit lower in the sky, they couldn't get the signal because of trees and ended up with DirecTV
  16. Jonathan_S

    Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

    Oct 23, 2001
    Nope. It doesn't have satellite tuners, and unlike the current series 2 standalones the S3 isn't designed to control an external box. It is designed to work with cable systems using a cable card (or two) to natively handle all cable channels, no cable box required.

    But that means that it doesn't have the inputs or the IR/Serial controller to handle an external satellite received.

    Oh, and the S3 can also handle over the air broadcasts.
  17. Lee L

    Lee L Got Basenji?

    Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    I might consider it as the cable company (Time Warner) has improved greatly here since I lleft them 8 plus years ago. If it worked well and I was losing the ability to use the HR10-250s at some point it would sway me. however, the biggest thing right now is that Bravo is not on Cable here. There are at least 10 differnet shows I watch on Bravo over a years time. IT would be a real setback to lose it.
  18. Jebberwocky!

    Jebberwocky! Guest

    Apr 16, 2005
    Ebay is you friend - I still can't believe the $$$ used sat equipment fetches at auction.
  19. mike300

    mike300 New Member

    Apr 20, 2006
    I voted "yes, immediately at any cost." In fact, I've already left DirecTV and switched to Comcast in anticipation of the Series 3. I have the Motorola DVR now and it is no TiVo by any means. But I can wait.
  20. mikeny

    mikeny New Member

    Dec 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    No choice for:

    YES, but when my D* contract is up... 1 1/2 years from now....

Share This Page