Will we loose the YouTube app in the near future?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by adessmith, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Dec 5, 2017 #1 of 12
    adessmith

adessmith Active Member

Oct 4, 2007

Advertisements

If you look closely it appears google is pulling the YouTube app from a lot of devices.
    I've heard reports that it has been pulled from a lot of smart TVs, (vizio and sony) and now amazon is loosing it on the echo show and the FireTV/Fire Stick (and presumably the Element Fire TV Edition). They also pulled it from the nintendo wii a while back as well.
    I hope this isn't the start of a big purge which will eventually force you to use a chromecast if you want to watch youtube on your TV...

2. Dec 5, 2017 #2 of 12
    JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    The spat with Amazon is because Amazon doesn't sell Google devices on Amazon.com. The Wii thing, I think had to do with the deprecation of an old API and the fact that Nintendo isn't releasing new software updates? I would imagine that is probably what is behind the TV set removals as well. I wouldn't really worry about it

3. Dec 5, 2017 #3 of 12
    adessmith

adessmith Active Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Yeah, I knew about amazon not selling the google devices. Apparently they also will not "return the favor" and allow prime video to be streamed to chromecast... but when I started reading about all these smart TVs and Blu-ray players loosing the youtube app, it has me wondering... I think that would be a terrible move for google though. When your revenue is primarily from advertising, I think you would want to keep the content in front of as many people as possible.

4. Dec 5, 2017 #4 of 12
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    It will always be tightly integrated, no worries about it coming loose.

5. Dec 5, 2017 #5 of 12
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015

Advertisements

I don't think there's any reason to worry about YouTube getting yanked from TiVo. Google is pulling YouTube from Amazon Fire TV and Echo Show devices as payback for Amazon having yanked Google hardware from their store as well as the fact that Amazon has never allowed their Amazon Video app to work with Chromecast, nor have they ever freely distributed a version of their app for Android TV.

I haven't heard anything about YouTube getting pulled from certain Vizio or Sony smart TVs. That would be surprising, since Vizio TVs now use built-in Chromecast as their platform and Sony uses Android TV as theirs. At any rate, I'd say that, apart from Amazon devices, any instances of YouTube apps disappearing are due to the hardware no longer supporting a current version of the YouTube app. As pointed out above, YouTube (and Google in general) relies on advertising and it's in their interest to make the app widely available.

6. Dec 5, 2017 #6 of 12
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Here is an article talking about the Google/Amazon battle: YouTube is cutting access to Amazon Fire TV on Jan. 1

Not a big deal to me - but the bottom line is no device has all the services on it, which is why I have multiple ones attached to my TV even though I don't use most of them.

7. Dec 6, 2017 #7 of 12
    johnner1999

johnner1999 Guest

Oct 26, 2002
    Unless TiVo blocks the ads from YouTube -- I don't know why Google would pull it.

Except if Google pushes a new API set. And Tivo doesn't update then yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Dec 6, 2017 #8 of 12
    NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    True, although Roku comes pretty close! Apple TV stacks up pretty well too now that they have Amazon Video and Vudu (although still lacking Google Play Movies & TV).

9. Dec 6, 2017 #9 of 12
    Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    Roku is the closest. Plus Charter(Spectrum) doesn't seem to block any authentications of apps on the Roku like they do with the Apple TV. I have an NVidia Shield(it does 4K well and also has the best Plex app of any streamer) and Roku(used as backup for any apps that don't work/aren't available on the Shield) attached to my main TV and a just a Roku on my secondary TV's.

Since I have a 4K TV, Vudu is what I focus on using fpr PPV, especially since they now support HDR10.

10. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Wow, I didn't realize any major MVPD wouldn't authenticate apps on Apple TV. Folks like to complain about Comcast but, from everything I've read, I tend to think Charter is worse. That said, Comcast won't authenticate apps for Android TV, which is one reason I've not bought an Nvidia Shield TV. For a few more months, I'm getting Showtime through Comcast, so I need access to the Showtime Anytime app. I use a Roku for that right now.

My other main gripe about the Shield TV is that it doesn't support Dolby Vision HDR. Perhaps that feature will get added, as I have to believe the device is fast enough to implement DV in software. What I'd really like to see is Google come out with their own Pixel Player, a first-class Android TV box focused on streaming (4K, DV, HDR10, HLG, auto framerate switching between 24p, 30p and 60p, quality backlit voice remote). If they could put out something like that and price it around $100-$120, it could make a dent in the streaming STB market, especially with Google Home/Google Assistant becoming more popular. I notice that new markets where Google Fiber is coming in, they're not even offering traditional TV service any more. Just YouTube TV, their OTT service; if you sign up for it, they'll give you a Shield TV for free. Seems like they'd want their own box given their major push into hardware these days.

11. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    Charter won't authenticate HBO Go on Android TV or Apple TV, but some other apps, they WILL authenticate on both. Same goes for Showtime Anytime but that also doesn't authenticate on my Samsung TV(HBO Go DOES authenticate on the TV). Charter plays serious games with their allowed authentications. The interesting part is TW and BH, who they just bought allowed authentication of everything on everything. So I wonder how this will play out when contracts come back up.

All those authentication games are really the only reason I have Rokus. I much prefer the Shield(since I have a Samsung KS8000 4K TV).

12. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Charter sounds like real bastards. Glad I don't have to deal with 'em. You know, you could just subscribe directly via the HBO Now and Showtime apps, both of which are available on your Shield TV and your Samsung TV. Unfortunately, HBO doesn't provide a live feed of their linear channel via HBO Now, although Showtime does in their app.