Will Verizon Tech have Cable Cards with them?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by segadc, Dec 12, 2007.

1. segadc

segadc New Member

Nov 21, 2007

Advertisements

I know I posted a similar thread but it never got moved here. Anyway, I try to change my order to exchange one SD STB for two cable cards. However, the Verizon CS said they cannot change it and the Verizon Tech (who is going to install Fios tv) will have some cable cards. They can also change the order there Is that all true? I don't want to have Fios anot not be able to use my TivoHD. Thanks in advance.

2. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Hate to tell you, but don't count on it.

Earlier this year I had Verizon install two cards in my new THD box. Last year, I had two cards installed in my Series 3 box.

When I placed the phone order, I was told "don't worry about it, they carry the cards". Well, after talking to several installers, they don't carry cards with them unless they are issued with the work order. The most recent installer said they were actually kind of hard to come by. Long story short, my original install appointment was messed up, so they did a "repair" install the next day...and the guy had no cards. I had to set up a separate appointment to have them specifically bring out two cards.

3. segadc

segadc New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Wow that is terrible! I am goning to call again as soon as I get home.

4. cheapguy69

cheapguy69 New Member

Jul 6, 2001
    Tigard,...
    I just did a FIOS TV install on Saturday and even though I asked for 2 Cards, they brought one and were surprised I even wanted two. They called around and another tech brought it. Apparently they are in short supply - even though they just started TV services just a few days prior. I actually had to train the techs how to activate the cable cards as they said they got no training on CC.

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003

Advertisements

And sometimes not even then.

6. Makmcm

Makmcm New Member

Sep 24, 2001
    I am in the process of adding FiOS TV and phone to my existing FiOS internet service. The rep called me tonight to arrange the installation, and asked how many HD boxes I needed. I explained one of my tvs has a TiVO, and that I am going to go get an HD TiVO by the time they arrive to install, so I will need 2 cable cards for that. The Rep seemed surprised that I knew the "lingo" to ask for cable cards, and told me that "I don't offer that, so it is good that you asked." So I strongly doubt the installation Techs would be carrying extra cards, since it seems like FiOS wants to keep them a secret.

We'll see what he shows up on the install date. (12/26)

7. segadc

segadc New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    I couldn't get through. They closed when I got home. I took the day off tommorow. As soon as they come in I am going to ask for the Cable Cards. Just so upset Verizon never let me change my order when I called last week. I was looking forward to tommorow but now I think it just going to become a frustrating day.

8. segadc

segadc New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Verizon Fios guy is here. He actually looked and said he had one cable card. I told him I need two. I think he will get me the other one. He was very cool about the cable cards when I told him what happened. So here is hoping by the end of the day I will have two cable cards that work with Tivo. :)

9. coopdave

coopdave New Member

Aug 20, 2006
    I had my Tivo install 2 weeks ago (1 S3, 3 THD).

I asked for 8 cards, but was told that they could only do 7. I fought, and fought, and fought, but lost.

The FIOS tech called me before coming over to confirm the time, and I asked if he had all 7 cards. He informed me that he only had 2, and that he would have to go back to the office and pick up more.

Installation went smoothly enough, however.

My advice would be to make sure they have all the cards if the tech should call you for any reason.

10. segadc

segadc New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Wow it took almost all day to get these cable cards to work! Too tired to talk about the details. I am just glad my TivoHD is finally working with the cable cards.

11. jpulver

jpulver New Member

Mar 27, 2007
    My third-try Verizon FIOS install (Oregon) was scheduled for today, Sunday, Dec. 16. The installers were to be here between 1-3 p.m. At 10:30 this a.m., the installer called to say he doesn't have any cable cards. He doesn't know when Verizon in Oregon will have them again. So, I have to re-schedule installation for the fourth time. The first try was set for Dec. 11, the installers came to the house, explained how they intended to fish the walls with cable, etc., but also told me that I'd better check to be sure TiVo was offering the Verizon channel lineup. I checked, learned that TiVo didn't yet have the lineup, so the installers left when I said I would re-schedule. A day later, TiVo had downloaded the Verizon lineup, and I scheduled installation for Friday, Dec. 14. The installer was to be here between 1-3 p.m. No word from Verizon until I finally called at 5:00 p.m. I was told the installer was behind schedule and should be at my house by 6:30 p.m. or so. He showed up at 6:30. I explained how the previous installer said he would fish the walls with cable, etc., and this guy said, "I don't fish walls." He said he'd run a black cable down my white walls (not INSIDE the walls, but visible, down the walls). I told him to leave. That brought me to today, and the latest postponement. When this installer called today to tell me he didn't have any cable cards, I asked him about fishing cable down walls. He said, "Of course we fish cable." (From the beginning, I had ordered two additional coax outlets, one for each of two bedrooms, at about $55 each.) Verizon doesn't seem ready for Oregon. . . This is turning into a nightmare. We'll see if it gets better or worse.

12. Makmcm

Makmcm New Member

Sep 24, 2001
    Well, my FiOS TV and phone services were installed today. Two techs came, and were happy to hear that I already had FiOS internet, since all of the power boxes, etc. were installed already. However, they told me that they just went around to all of the supply offices in the area (Long Island) trying to get cable cards, but there were none to be found. They said they are on order, which means they could come in this afternoon, or next week. They mentioned they would bring them by as soon as they came in, or just send them to me. It seems like they had installed them before.

So they installed 2 HD STB's on the non-TiVo televisions. They were here about an hour and a half, including explaining all the features on the FiOS remote. On the HD TiVo set, I can only receive channels 2-49 until the cards arrive. Most of those channels are "local programming." Ugh. Hopefully the cards come in soon. The bright side is that due to the writers' strike, there isn't much on TV anyway this week that I want to record.

Maybe the cable card gods will shine upon me and arrive soon. :rolleyes:

13. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Do a scan for QAM channels -- you should be able to pick up your local broadcast HD channels (and any SD subchannels), but without guide data.

14. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    My install is tomorrow - I called yesterday to ask to add cards to my install (and a second SD STB, as the movers are going to deliver everything early (tomorrow!)) and was told that it wasn't possible.

This morning a very nice lady from the dispatch office called to confirm my appointment for tomorrow and when I asked her if I could add the cards and the STB, she said that she'd make a note and make sure that the installer had the cards with him.

We'll see tomorrow how that works out! :D

15. jpulver

jpulver New Member

Mar 27, 2007
    My fourth appointment for FIOS TV installation in Oregon happened December 20. One installer. I was already a Verizon FIOS Internet customer, so the initial work had been completed months ago. Twelve hours after the installer arrived on December 20 (yes, 12 hours), he was finally finished with the TV service installation. I helped him fish a couple walls (the installer in the attic and me below), and after three or so hours we had two new coax outlets installed. After a few more hours, he had four televisions working on FIOS, and he was ready to tackle my TiVo HD. He had two cable cards but had no idea how to install and activate them. I showed him the instructions. I told him that TiVo techs had emphasized to me the importance of installing and activating the cable cards one at a time (that is, insert one card and activate it completely before starting with the second card). But he called Verizon techs and they told him that following TiVo's instructions was unnecessary. I pointed out again that TiVo was emphatic about the process. But the installer followed the Verizon tech's advice. The cable cards would not activate properly. He tried and tried again and tried again. Meanwhile, Verizon closed out my installation job so the installer couldn't activate the cards because the job was closed out on the Verizon computers. (It took over an hour to discover this was at least part of the problem.) Eventually, he talked with another Verizon tech who told him that TiVo's instructions were correct. He opened another new job for my installation, and then he followed the original instructions that I had given him, and the cards were finally correctly inserted and activated. The cable card insertion and activation process took about four hours. Throughout all this, the installer was professional and friendly. I was distressed a couple of times, but he stayed calm. This whole process, because of the missteps, caused us to re-boot my TiVo at least a dozen times. . . Now all is working, but the picture quality is no better than Comcast (and no worse, I guess). If I had it all to do over again, I wouldn't do it. But now that it's installed, I'm relatively satisfied with the service and the price. We'll see how it goes.

16. Makmcm

Makmcm New Member

Sep 24, 2001

I ran a channel scan through the TiVO, and it just picks up channels 2-49, no HD channels. But the TV itself picks up some of the digital channels (The HD ones below channel 49, plus the music channels.) Since the TiVO doesn't recognize them without the cable cards, I can't record off of them.

I am still using a splitter, with one line going directly into the TV and the other into the TiVO. Once I have my cards installed, will I still need splitter given that the HD TiVo has a dual tuner?

17. bizzy

bizzy New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    San...
    That depends- if you still want to use the tuner in the TV, yes. But most likely, unless you want to record two programs on the Tivo and watch a third live program, you won't miss having a tuner in your TV.

18. RossoNeri

RossoNeri Tech Geek

Nov 26, 2005
    Herndon, VA
    FiOS only sends channels below 50 in clear QAM. All above that are encrypted and need CC's, including HD locals.

You'll only need the splitter if you intend to use the TV and bypass the TiVoHD. Otherwise, you can just use the single coax into the TiVoHD.

19. RossoNeri

RossoNeri Tech Geek

Nov 26, 2005
    Herndon, VA
    Not surprised. I haven't heard of anyone winning that battle. The FiOS billing system was developed to support a maximum of 7 devices per account. Each CC and STB counts as a single device. Therefore, you can only have a max of 7 CC's on one account (assuming not other STB's). This is not a technical limit, only a backoffice system limit.

I'd heard that VZ was changing their system, but haven't seen a confirmed report of >7 devices on one account.

20. jpulver

jpulver New Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Here's what I was told about the situation in Oregon: Verizon FIOS signals are strictly digital in Oregon. This means, I was told by Verizon, that every coax outlet requires a set-top box (or a cable card in the TiVo or in the TV) to translate the digital signals for each and every channel. Plugging the cable directly into a TV or directly into a TiVo without a cable card will not produce a television picture.

So, at least in Oregon, you cannot split the coax cable and run it directly into the TiVo in order to watch one channel (channels 1-49) while you record a digital channel. This is according to Verizon, who, admittedly, often provides conflicting information depending upon to whom you speak.