Will Tivo work on non digital cable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by penguin47, Sep 5, 2007.

1. penguin47

penguin47 New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    I am in the military ans stationed in japan. I would like to try and find a way to record my shows, but I do not get digital cable. Will tivo work without it? If not, what options do i have?

Thanks,

P

2. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Do you get AFRTS? A Tivo should be able to control the AFRTS receiver just like a regular cable box.

3. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    The series 2 TiVo units are designed to work with analog cable (no-cable box box) or analog and/or digital cable (with a cable box). [Note the Series 2 DT unit can only use one of its two tuners with a cable box]. Series 3 or TiVo HD would be overkill on an analog cable system, because analog cable can't carry high definition content.

That said, the TiVos are built for standard US cable tv, and might not work where you are. (I don't know what type of cable the military has, or if you are on a japanese cable system).

Additionally, TiVo doesn't sell units in Japan, which might make getting service (much less tv guide information) problematic. The TiVos don't record anything without a service subscription, and without guide data they are reduced to manual or repeat recording by time and channel rather than using the main TiVo functionality of season passes or wishlists.

4. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Of course, if you had a family member in the states get TiVo and a slingbox, you could stream the TiVo content to a pc over the internet.

5. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    AFRTS (Armed Forces Radio and TV) service is basically just like D* or E*. Making tivo work with it is easy, as long as Tivo has a lineup (which they should).

6. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    There was a discussion about this a while back on the Tivo.com forums. Try this link for more info.

And report back here if you get it to work. I'm very curious to see if it does.

I seem to recall there was some steps to make it work. I'll search around for the right link.

robomeister

7. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    Here is some more info

beta testing

They also mention in the thread that the Series 3 TiVos won't work (they don't like satellites), and the Series 1 TiVos might work, but you'd have to make a long distance phone call (not recommended) every couple days.

Good luck,
    robomeister