Will tivo work in Argentina ?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by terius6, Feb 27, 2007.

1. terius6

terius6 New Member

Sep 13, 2005

Advertisements

I have a tivo series 2 (hughes), i was very happy for five years with it, until i moved back to Argentina wich is around ten years behind in technology, so now directv is offering a dvr called "directv plus".
    So they came over and installed the dvr, wich sucks, the software is a piece of sh...., takes like one second to do anything, i have to press the buttons several times until do what supposed to do, etc... i want to know if i can connect my tivo.
    When i go to the setting section in my argentinean dvr, this is what shows : Azimuth 313 degree, Elevation 34 degree, 95 degree (o) west beam.
    I connected the tivo but it wont recognize the satellite, i cant change the setting to mach the dvr (that's what i am trying to do)
    I read somewhere about the pal/ntsc system incompabitility, that's not the case here since i have ntsc tv's on a pal-n country waching tv with no problem.
    If somebody can help me to make my tivo to work i will be eternally thankful

Walter :confused:

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    If you managed to get a DirecTV DVR to see the satellites, you should be able to get a Hughes DTiVo to work too. You should not have to move the dish. I have to assume that DirecTV is not using different satellites to service Argentina. Do you not get any indication in the signal strength screen?

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    DriecTV IS using different satellites in their Latin American service, and is mostly incompatible with American DriecTV receivers.

4. terius6

terius6 New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    i dont get any signal strengh, for what the installers told me our signal strengh is around 55 and not 95 like in the US cause where far away from the satellites, is ther any hack that i can do to adjust the Azimuth and the elevation, west and south beam ?
    txs
    Walter :cool:

5. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA

Advertisements

Let's see if I understand...

You have a box supplied by DirecTv that works, slowly, and you don't like it

You have a US-style DTivo box that won't "see" a signal at all

User classicsat says the signal is not compatible with a US-style DTivo box

Would that not mean you can't use a US-style DTivo box from the US?

6. terius6

terius6 New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    not necessary, i know some people that could connect it and worked (another brand), i just want to know how to change the azimuth and the elevation.
    Beside that when you cant is when you try harder

7. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    http://www.dbstalk.com is a better place to discuss this stuff - more satellite-knowledgeable people there.

8. cramer

cramer Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Raleigh,...
    Ok. Let me get this straight. You are trying to aim a DTivo at the sat in the 95W orbit? Yeah. *shakes head* that ain't gonna work. The tivo cannot decode that signal. (it's very likely an mpeg-4 system... different modulation and encoding.)

Given your location, I doubt you're within the signal cone for 101W. That thing was launched ~20 years ago aimed at the US. That far south, you simply aren't in front of it's transmitter(s). Even if you did manage to get enough signal to have a data stream, I seriously doubt DTV would enable any of those channels for you.

101W would be about 306/34 (if you're in Buenos Aires.) In order to aim the dish, a power meter will be required. The "peaking meter" will give an indication of actual signal strength; and it's significantly more sensitive. The indicator on the receiver is an indication of the error rate, not signal strength. (*note* I've aimed a dish through a wall -- of course, there's about 1/1000th the power needed for a receiver. It's a lot like lighting a room with a flashlight. With dead batteries.)

[There's lots of dish aiming calculators on the web. Find one and feed in your lat/long.]

[EDIT: BTW, the SD DTivo's cannot even make sense of 110 anymore. (not for several years at least.)]

9. terius6

terius6 New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    thank you all for your comments, i will sell my tivo on ebay then

Walter :(