Will TiVo (Premiere) units *ever* get Amazon Instant Prime?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Fofer, May 25, 2011.

1. May 25, 2011 #1 of 153
    Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    [​IMG]

We have access to the original "Instant Video" but not the new unlimited "Prime Instant Video." So I'm just wondering, is this something we've heard from TiVo/Amazon that is in the works? Or have they just said "not currently available?"

I realize that even if they say they're working on it, and/or that it's coming soon, that this could mean 10 months or more of waiting and that there are no guarantees. With TiVo, heck, it might not come out till 2013 (if at all) and it might only be for the newest box. (And that would be long after anyone cares much about Amazon Prime Instant video... and there would be some newer service that everyone's enjoying, that's not compatible with TiVo. :rolleyes: :D )

I'm just wondering if either of these companies have made any statement at all? Or is the odd screenshot above is all we have to go with on the subject?

TiVo's sad asterisk stands out like a sore thumb. It's the ONLY box that doesn't support this service. For shame. I thought the Premiere was the "one box." :(

2. May 25, 2011 #2 of 153
    socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Tivo doesn't actually have access to "Instant Video."

3. May 25, 2011 #3 of 153
    Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    Okay so we have "Unbox?" I thought they got rid of that title. What would you call the Amazon feature we have currently?

Regardless, on my Premiere when I go to the Video On Demand menu, the first option listed is "Amazon Instant Video." No, it's not instant and it's not the new Prime Instant that I mention in the OP, but it's something, And they've labelled it "Amazon Instant Video" on our existing menus. So what's your point?

4. May 25, 2011 #4 of 153
    Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I think they call it "Amazon VOD" on the TiVo (that's what they call it on my TiVo HD), but it's still basically just "Amazon Instant Video".

All the videos you can get on other devices that have Amazon Instant Video are what's also offered on the TiVo's "VOD".

5. May 25, 2011 #5 of 153
    socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Fofer,
    I agree with everything you said. I was in a very short and not very clear way pointing out that it isn't just a flipped switch like the other devices got to do. When Tivo can handle the streaming Amazon service, then they will get the Prime service.

6. May 25, 2011 #6 of 153
    Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    Well on the Premiere it's called "Amazon Instant Video" but it is a different service with different terms, content and cost from what's offered to other devices with Amazon's new Prime Instant Video.

7. May 25, 2011 #7 of 153
    Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    Gotcha. Well, since TiVo can (kinda, albeit poorly) stream video via their Netflix app, you'd think they could at least do the same with Amazon's Prime Instant Video.

According to their marketing materials, Amazon Prime Instant works with "nearly 200 models of Internet-connected TVs, Blu-ray players and set-top-boxes that are compatible with Amazon Instant Video" ... and yet TiVo is the SOLE EXCEPTION. That's kinda sad, considering what this box is supposed to be and do.

Again, the asterisk in that screenshot above... it stands out like a sore thumb. TiVo is the ONLY one that is excluded. That's quite a feat. It shows that TiVo's software design and implementation isn't as flexible as all the others, which were able to embrace Amazon's new feature without much delay.

What happens when the next new online video service comes along? Why is TiVo now always the latest to the party? This is not a limber company. It consistently feels like an also-ran.

8. May 25, 2011 #8 of 153
    socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Note: I am not defending Tivo here.
    I look at this differently. None of those boxes ever supported Unbox... Really Tivo supports a different service. Now do I think they should of updated and supported the new service. Definitely.

9. May 25, 2011 #9 of 153
    gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    Now that Hulu has blown the look and feel, Tivo should just go ahead and implement the HTML5 version of Netflix through a custom browser.

Some type of browser support could also make it possible to support the new (and old) Amazon video service. Plus lots of other services like EpixHD, HBOGo, etc.

10. May 25, 2011 #10 of 153
    Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    Agreed. It's not like TiVo's UI has any consistency at all. They gave up on the HDUI, it seems.

So long as we have access to all the content on one device, on one input of the TV, I'd be content. I'll deal with the disappointing UI. But being locked out from the new services' content just because TiVo can't get their act together is frustrating.

I'd be fine with access via a custom HTML5 browser. Something tells me TiVo isn't limber or flexible enough for that though, either.

11. May 25, 2011 #11 of 153
    rdodolak

rdodolak Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Agree.

Another annoyance is that a lot of the Amazon Instant Videos are only available in Letterboxed format on the TiVo where as on all other devices the movies are available in true widescreen format. If I wanted my movies to be letterboxed and pillarboxed at the same time I wouldn't have purchased a widescreen television. I'm all for OAR and even though TiVo's implementation retains the OAR on a widescreen television you still have black bars showing on the top/bottom and left/right sides with the movie in a little window in the middle of the screen (even for 1.78:1 content). There's no reason to even show a widscreen movie with bars on the left and right sides of the image (pillarboxed). It just goes to show that those "TiVo" encodes have the black bars on the top and box of the image hard coded into an image with a 4:3 aspect ratio vs. a true widescreen presentation. How long ago did they stopped selling 4:3 aspect ratio televisions, oh that's right it was years ago.

Not to mention TiVo still doesn't support 5.1+ or subtitles.

12. May 25, 2011 #12 of 153
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    When I looked at the service, content was weak. While I am a prime member, I could not find anything that was not already on netflix.

TiVo is not in the drivers seat for driving change when implementing new streaming services. I expect less of their look and feel in these new offerings as 1) its more expensive for TiVo to make these changes (and we eventually have to pay for them) and 2) it is more expensive for the service provider.

I'm hoping integrated search is not so expensive that it is eventually completed. Do any of these other devices have that? I'm guessing no.

Netflix only has some of the look and feel because TiVo was an early service provider for their streaming product...

13. May 25, 2011 #13 of 153
    TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    It's not so much about whether Tivo is in the "driver's seat" or not - it's that they aren't even in the vehicle!

They're being literally towed along behind the bus containing almost every other current consumer electronics product, hanging on by the emergency chain after the hitch has broken off!

I'd love to see Prime Instant Video, but in all honesty I don't think Tivo will ever implement it. Their policy has been pretty consistent - one release of a software client like Netflix, Tivo, Youtube, etc - and then never touch it again. So, from Tivo's point of view, the "Amazon logo on the box" is checked off and they have no reason to revisit it at all. You have to remember - Tivo DOES NOT care for customers anymore - Tivo cares about logos and partnerships and litigation - things that will drive MSO deals and provide press releases.

On the bright side, if nothing else, you can at least say they're consistent in their policy of near-zero support for ANY Internet video provider. :rolleyes::D

14. May 25, 2011 #14 of 153
    gtrogue

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    I've never noticed the pillar boxed/black matte phenomena you have. Anytime I've ever used Amazon VOD on my Tivo the files have always been 1080p/720p and displayed correctly on my display. I've never watched any SD stuff so it might be different.

Is it possible there is a setting for your display that would correct this issue?

15. May 25, 2011 #15 of 153
    MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

for free with Prime like you can on the other devices?

can you please give some pointers how to navigate the Tivo menus so i can get my free prime videos on my TiVo S3.

16. May 25, 2011 #16 of 153
    rdodolak

rdodolak Member

Dec 17, 2008
    My display is setup correctly and I don't experience that issue with Amazon Instant Video on other platforms.

100% of the encodes aren't like that but when I've experienced it I usually double check Amazon's site. Usually when this has happened, Amazon shows the Letterbox image under the Tivo section where as Amazon shows a widescreen image for the other platforms.

I can't speak to this particular movie but as an example you can see the type of image icons I'm referring to under the Video Format Details section of this page:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VGKXIS/

EDIT: As another example, the HD version of Warehouse 13 is in widescreen for TiVo

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GJO6FS/

but the SD version is not according to Amazon (but the other platforms are)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GJVL60/

I think this issue has more to do with SD movies and TV series but it's an annoyance since not all videos are available in HD from Amazon.

17. May 25, 2011 #17 of 153
    Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    Perhaps. But unlimited FREE access is granted to Amazon Prime customers. And because I have chosen to stick with TiVo as my primary set-top box, I can't even use it.

18. May 25, 2011 #18 of 153
    sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    I don't believe Amazon instant videos are on any device except the roku,so this one really isn't on Tivo.

19. May 25, 2011 #19 of 153
    gtrogue

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    I think Samsung connected TV's do or will play them soon.
    You can watch them on Boxee Box through the web browser. EpixHD also works through the browser. HBOGo has an "app" on the Boxee Box but all it does is launch the browser full screen and go to the HBOGo website.
    XfinityTV also plays through the Boxee browser but Hulu doesn't even though the XfinityTV website is using embedded Hulu videos.

20. May 25, 2011 #20 of 153
    rdodolak

rdodolak Member

Dec 17, 2008
    You can watch them on Sony Bravia TVs.