Will tivo let me move my $6.95 grandfathered monthly feet to another used box?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by wiz, Jan 12, 2019.

1. wiz

wiz Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    (Updated I guess I can't change my title from feet to fee!)
    I have Premiere XL4 and a Bolt 1TB both with lifetime service. I also have a Tivo HD for which I'm paying $6.95 service fee in my sons room. This service fee was transferred years ago from a Toshiba HD-400 when it was retired. I'm thinking of either replacing the HD with a Mini with no service fee or buying a used Roamio. Will Tivo let me move the plan to the Roamio? I know I can call them but thought it might make more sense to ask here first to know what to expect.
    TIA

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Usually not but you might get a deal. Cheapest option is to buy a Mini for that room.

3. wiz

wiz Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    That's what I was thinking but also hate to give up that $6.95 fee as I'll never get it back. I found a local seller with a couple of mini's but he also has a Roamio. Was thinking about getting it too.

4. alarson83

alarson83 Member

Oct 27, 2009
    West Des...
    They do sometimes. Ive got a roamio that's on that 6.95 that i got from a Tivo HD. (cant remember how i had that rate)

That was quite awhile ago though and may have been a deal as part of the advisors panel back when they had deals for that.

Miss all the shots you don't take though.

5. wiz

wiz Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    The $6.95 rate was the old multi-unit discounted rate. I'll call tomorrow or Monday and see what they say.

6. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    How long have you been paying it? I’d guess you’ve paid them a lot of money over the years.

7. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Are you saying that he is foolish for not buying Lifetime in the first place? I'm sure he's already feeling pretty sheepish for the bad deal he's made.

8. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    No I’m not saying he’s foolish, but am pointing out that those fees add up over the years and maybe a Mini is a better value for a secondary TV location.

9. wiz

wiz Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    I have an update. Yes they did move the 6.95 rate!

Yes, I've paid a fortune over the years, because that $6.95 rate was originally on my Toshiba SD-H400 combo DVD Tivo activated in 2004. I've spent well over a $1,000 in monthly fees. When it died four or five years ago, I switched it to the HD. Tonight I called Tivo and got the 6.95 rate swapped to a used Roamio Plus with a 3TB upgrade I bought on Craigslist! So that $6.95 rate is now on it's third Tivo! On the other hand, since it's now on it's third TiVo, that would have been a lot for three lifetime service plans.
    Also when I called in I added an HD TiVo with lifetime I picked up at the dump added to my account. It has a blown HDMI port so only works with component video but if they ever run the $99 lifetime promotion again, I'll qualify.
    I'll write up a longer post about the whole deal later and link to it here.

unclehonkey, Mikeguy and kpeters59 like this.