Will TiVo Honor Series 3 Rebate if Unit is Purchased off of eBay??

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mchiles, Sep 17, 2007.

1. mchiles

mchiles Member

Jul 13, 2007

Advertisements

Does anyone know if TiVo will honor the $200 rebate on Series 3 units purchases off of eBay??

There some NIB Series 3 units selling for less on eBay for less than $599 before rebate.

Will TiVo accept a eBay reciept/invoice as part of the proof of purchase for the $200 rebate?

Anyone had an experience with TiVo rebates in the past when units were purchased off of eBay??

Thanks,

mchiles
    Series 3 1Tb/1Tb
    Humax DRT800 320GB
    Replay 5500 320GB
    Comcast DVR

2. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    The rebate specifies an authorized reseller.

3. mchiles

mchiles Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Does TiVo consider eBay an authorized reseller???

4. fritolayguy

fritolayguy Science, bitches

Oct 31, 2002
    Liberty, MO.
    Pretty sure that TIVO isn't selling directly to eBay like they would Circuit City or Best Buy.

Since it is on eBay, that means someone else had to have purchased it first. Of course, it couldn't hurt to call customer service first to find out... :D

just my 2c

5. lickwid

lickwid Member

Oct 2, 2005
    SF Bay Area, CA

Advertisements

Typically, items sold on eBay will NOT be qualified for manufacturer's rebates. As someone else has stated, units sold on eBay have already been purchased by someone else for resale. You're better off buying it on sale at a local store and stacking on coupons often available from Best Buy/Circuit City/etc.

6. mchiles

mchiles Member

Jul 13, 2007
    The $200 TiVo Series 3 Rebate is be handled by a rebate clearinghouse in El Paso Texas.

I called the 888-641-4128 rebate hotline number at the bottom of the rebate form TWICE!!

Both times, the operators put me on hold, did some checking and came back on the line and said that they WILL HONOR receipts/invoices for TiVo Series 3 purchases bought on eBay. As long as the receipts are dated between 9/16/07 and 1/26/08 and I meet all the activation requirements.

Hmmm... maybe time to buy another Series 3.

My wife hates the look of the HD. She says if I buy another TiVo unit, it has to be a Series 3.

Who am I to argue... :)

7. ITGuy72

ITGuy72 New Member

Aug 10, 2005
    I think I'd want that in writing!

8. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    In another thread, someone indicated that they were NOT able to get a rebate on a Series 3 purchased on eBay.

9. Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    Don't do it. Rebate processors are looking for any reason to kick your rebate.

Honestly, there is no other way to say this: you'd be a fool to bank on it.

10. mchiles

mchiles Member

Jul 13, 2007
    I decided to skip eBay and bought another Series 3 from Circuit City.

The local stores did not have Series 3 units in stock. So, I went online to circuitcity.com.

The Series 3 units are going for $599.99 at CircuitCity.com with Free Shipping

I had a couple of 10% off Circuit City coupons for purchases over $150. But, upon online checkout, the website wouldn't honor the further discount on the unit.

So, I called circuit city customer service and they honored the 10% off coupon on a phone order. So, I got a New TiVo Series 3 for $539.99 with Free Regular Ground Shipping.

After a get the $200 rebate from TiVo in 10-12 weeks, the Series 3 will have ended costing me $339.99. (roughly a $40 premium over the HD)

Now, the hunt for a couple of relatively cheap Hitachi 1TB hard drives and another Antec MX-1 to upgrade the new unit.

11. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Doubt you will see that rebate being you did not pay retail for your Tivo

12. fatboy15226

fatboy15226 New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    He should get the rebate from the CC $599 unit. The rebate says nothing about the price requirement of the unit. CC IS an authorized Tivo reseller.

I doubt there will be issues.

-dsd

13. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    Although I wouldn't try, I did get it before on an S2 I bought on E-Bay. But, that was long, long ago in a land far far away (in 2003)....