Will Tivo HD get the new HD interface?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by KXH, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Mar 3, 2010 #1 of 83
    KXH

KXH New Member

Jan 26, 2006

Advertisements

Does anyone have any idea if the TIVO HD's will get the new HD interface pushed to them?

2. Mar 3, 2010 #2 of 83
    AZ_Tivo

AZ_Tivo New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    AZ
    No. They say that THD cannot support the new interface.

3. Mar 3, 2010 #3 of 83
    asarathy

asarathy New Member

Sep 19, 2007
    And because of this I can no longer Support Tivo... Hello Moxi

4. Mar 3, 2010 #4 of 83
    turbobozz

turbobozz New Member

Sep 21, 2006
    MD/VA
    S3 platform is too slow to handle the new UI.
    (It's slow enough already.)
    Why would you demand TiVo make your S3 platform box even slower?

5. Mar 3, 2010 #5 of 83
    janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN

Advertisements

Are you interested in selling your HD?

6. Mar 3, 2010 #6 of 83
    techmonkey

techmonkey New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    California
    (Original Message:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asarathy View Post
    And because of this I can no longer Support Tivo... Hello Moxi)

Yeah along with your copy of Windows 98? :D Tee Hee! Just kidding! Sorry you are no longer happy with your Tivo

7. Mar 3, 2010 #7 of 83
    asarathy

asarathy New Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Yeah I am looking into my options right now. I was little glib. It's not just the UI, but rather the underwhelming feature list that came with Premiere.

8. Mar 3, 2010 #8 of 83
    asarathy

asarathy New Member

Sep 19, 2007
    They could have made the s3 UI HD without flash. They are choosing not to.

9. Mar 3, 2010 #9 of 83
    KXH

KXH New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    :( and :confused:

I guess i too will be done with Tivo after my 1 year contract ends. Just seems like a very stupid move on Tivo's part.

10. sirchip

sirchip New Member

Oct 16, 2005
    moxi very interesting...

11. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Last I heard, no OTA with moxi. That's a deal killer for me.

12. asarathy

asarathy New Member

Sep 19, 2007
    It has an adapter that allows it to be 1 tuner OTA. But it's designed for Cable. But honestly, it's kind of a non issue if you are using a cable card anyway.

13. csm10495

csm10495 Badoop Badoop!

Nov 15, 2008
    Flash NOT on old TiVos is a good thing

This might be a blessing in disguise, because flash is the easiest way to make ads. Think about it, tivo could easily put ads over everything (imagine pausing the game and seeing a flash video ad pop up) The ENTIRE discovery bar is an ad in itself. They can easily get advertisers because most are very familiar with flash. Basically they could port internet ads to the tivo just make em bigger and louder. :thumbsdown:

Even better: they can eventually make it so while fast forwarding you have to watch a commercial, maybe disable that 30 second skip :eek:

If their were to be ads all over (more than now) with sound and movement then.... you know what? I'll stay with good'ol Tivo HD, for now, it can get the job done, almost ad free :up:

I wouldnt mind paying for a box and not ever paying a subscription rate but have a bunch of ads, but if i pay for it, few or no ads :rolleyes:

If flash is used with just the consumer in mind, then it will be good, otherwise sadly it could be the end of tivo cause cable DVR doesn't have that much advertising :(

14. asarathy

asarathy New Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Actually I Take that back, it's a dongle for Analog Cable.

15. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    It's NEVER a non-issue...your cable goes out, then whaddya got? Even if it only happens occasionally (as it does here), I am VERY happy I have OTA capability with my S3 and HD units.

16. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    But that's no reason to get rid of your Series 3 or HD. They didn't have that when you bought them and I assume you knew that.

No, I much prefer OTA to cable for local broadcast. There is a noticeable difference in the audio quality, which I guess is due to the cable company compressing the signal. I have cable for ESPN and movies.

17. asarathy

asarathy New Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Well, my cable rarely goes out, and even if it did, I don't have an antennae, and even if I did, I would need to switch the entire guide/system to be tuned for antennae instead of cable, and make sure that my season passes worked correctly (HD Channels of Broadcast channels are seperate Season Passes) so it's going to end up being a real pain to switch just for a day or so until cable comes back, so that's why I said kind of a non issue. Obviously, too each their own, and whats important to you is important to you.

18. asarathy

asarathy New Member

Sep 19, 2007
    I knew that. And it, by itself is not an the reason to get rid of the Tivo. But on my HD Tivo, I didn't get a lifetime because though I found Tivo's DVR functionality to be the best by far, I knew newer technology was coming, and I didn't feel like being locked in (I knew this would happen). But when I get my Tivo HD, I was in one point in my life, and now I am at another, so things like multiroom viewing are becoming more important to me. Additionally The Tivo Box is slow as heck (editing Season Passes for example, and general slugishness), and I wanted to go with something more responsive.

I was waiting to see what Tivo was going to offer before deciding what to do next, and frankly their new offering is not enough. I want multiroom viewing, and I don't want to pay for a box AND a subscription to do that. I know that I could us the TivoToGo, but too many shows are copy flagged, and the slow transfer speed doesn't help when my wife wants to watch Oprah upstairs when I want to watch Lost. So because I am paying a monthly fee (well yearly) and am not locked in, I figure sell my Tivo for whatever I can get, and upgrade to something that has more features, costs less (if you include up front lifetime service) and doesn't push a ton of ads.

Now, had they thrown me a bone and addressed some of my issues (fixed the performance of the HDs, made they UI native HD at least) maybe I would have lived with the shortcomings and continued to pay them money, but at this point it doesn't seem worth it.

19. tivohaydon

tivohaydon New Member

Mar 24, 2001
    TiVo had a history of releasing software updates that provided cool new features. I'm sure I wasn't the only one that bought a S3 assuming the same was going to be true in the future. But it appears that's not the case. I never believed that my $13/mo was only for guide data or for the thrill of being able to turn the unit on. I believed it was also for continued software development for my product.

S2 was exciting for a short while. However that excitement slowed to a crawl and I've seen very little innovation from TiVo since. Our relationship will soon be ending. I can no longer recommend them over a provider's DVR, or for more technical users MCE.

For what it's worth, I've been with TiVo from S1 (one) days, had S2 (one) units and S2 DirectTV units (four) and now S3 (two).

20. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    Does Moxi support the new TiVo HD interface?