Will TiVo HD capture DISH NETWORK programs?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rishub, Nov 26, 2007.

1. rishub

rishub New Member

Nov 6, 2007

Advertisements

I understand that Satellite programming is not supported by TiVo HD.
    Is there a workaround?
    I have Dish Network enabled occasionally and would be good to have my TiVo HD capture the dish programs as well (along with cable).
    Thanks

2. mbhuff

mbhuff New Member

Jan 24, 2004
    New York
    You can use a series 2 TiVO to capture the SD output from a Dish receiver (Composite or S-Video). The HD output of either cableboxes or Sat receivers has to be uncompressed so the TV can receive it. No consumer level hardware exists that can receive an uncompressed HD output and store it on disk like a DVR does. There are commercial level boxes in the $10,000 range that do it, so maybe in 3-5 years one will be available, but currently there is no solution for what you are asking. The Dish DVR is the best you can hope for unless you move to cable or FioS and use a Tivo Series3/TivoHD with CableCards (with no set-top-box needed).

3. hastypete

hastypete Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Here is a workaround that I've used successfully.

Use the RF output of your Sat box.
    'T' it into the antenna line.
    set output of Sat box to ch3 or ch4, whichever is not used in your area.
    setup TivoHD to be able to tune to that channel.

To record programs you have to set the sat box to auto tune to the show you want, then set the TivoHD to record the 'donor' channel using it's manual record function.

Works like a charm to capture the recording. Unfortunately the TivoHD names the program whatever was on the 'donor' channel at the time of recording. I have not had problems with this interfering with my OTA antenna reception (seeing how I 'T'ed it the Sat box signal into it), but this may not be the case for you. It's really easy to test it out.
    Also, if your Dish box does not have scheduling capability then this won't work.

4. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    "successfully" is used very loosely here. You will have no HD, no 5.2 surround sound, and generally crappy quality. If this all you want, don't waste your money on a TiVo HD.

.../Ed

5. rishub

rishub New Member

Nov 6, 2007

Advertisements

Thanks hastypete!
    This is a worth a try.
    I just have ESPN Full Court on my Dish which is not HD anyway.
    See if that works

6. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I think you're likely to get better quality by feeding a s-video cable from the satellite box into a DVD Recorder (or a Series 2 TiVo).

7. Martin Tupper

Martin Tupper Pontiff Emeritus

Dec 18, 2003
    The TiVoHD has no means of controlling the Dish STB. So you would have to manually program the TiVo to record off of CH3, then manually set up the STB to be on the correct channel to record what you want to watch. No Season Passes, No Wishlists, No suggestions.

Get a Series 2 if you want to control a Dish STB.

8. TiVo Troll

TiVo Troll Registered Troll

Mar 22, 2006
    Actually, as a workaround for standard-def from satellite on the side it's fine, with quality similiar to cable or OTA standard-def analog recordings! Depending on a given analog program's quality it may actually be better.

9. Hi8

Hi8 TiVoPro - wanabe!

Mar 6, 2002
    There is a way to watch satellite content on a TiVo.

you can connect your DN reciever to a PC that has a capture card in it, and record the shows in a MPG format and then use TiVoComeback to insert in on your TiVo. It works. Trust me.

10. hastypete

hastypete Member

Oct 2, 2007
    This is in no way meant to be a sole use for a TivoHD. It is just a way to get a program or two recorded from a non-OTA source.

Since 95% or more of what we watch is OTA, I can live with some SD content off the Dish box.

It is a moot point next month, since my Dish is GONE. I'll just get my 5% of programs from Amazon Unbox. ie, Monk, Eureka, etc.

11. hastypete

hastypete Member

Oct 2, 2007
    If you read my instructions, it says to do just that. It is rather inconvenient, but it DOES work. It is a work-around, not a solution. the real solution would be for TiVo to add Dish network to the box. But that ain't gonna happen. So what ya gonna do?

12. rishub

rishub New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    I like this solution best.
    I already have a capture card on my PC with a Dish Network box attached.
    So, capture and then transfer to TiVo.
    It is still a workaround - but given the circumstances, the best choice.