Will Tivo ever partner with an OTT provider?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by cthomp21, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Apr 5, 2017 #1 of 15
    cthomp21

cthomp21 Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Plainfield, IL

Advertisements

With the possible impending doom of QAM (at least on Comcast) in the next couple of years, I'll be looking to switch my Base Roamio and (8) Mini's over to OTA. However, I'm left with a deficit of a handful of channels which are typically on an OTT provider's streaming service (such as PS Vue, DirecTV Now, Sling TV, Xfinity Stream).

What is the possibility of Tivo partnering with an OTT provider to include their streams in a unified guide with "jump channels" that can possibly be recorded? Or maybe providing a link to the program in the OTT's app run by the Tivo? I love a unified box that I've got at this point and am hoping for a solution in the future.

2. Apr 5, 2017 #2 of 15
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, a partnership w/ something like PS Vue would seem to be killer, especially if Sony/TiVo could pull-off tight integration between the guide and OnePass. e.g. Selecting to "record" an upcoming PS Vue show would instruct the PS Vue backend to schedule the recording, and it would be accessible via a OnePass 'My Shows' bookmark once available.

Possibility? Slim.

3. Apr 5, 2017 #3 of 15
    IDontSpeakMonkey

IDontSpeakMonkey New Member

Apr 5, 2017
    Lake Orion, MI
    Obviously something like this would be totally awesome. I truly hope something like this came to pass. I'm just a long time user with no special insight, but I can't imagine it happening anytime soon, let alone at all. I agree with KrKaufman, and would add the chances are not only slim, but slim to none.

They almost had perfectly integrated data between Netflix Amazon Xfinity and OTA. That all blew up last year. It took them what, 5+ years to finally get all that data perfectly integrated from when it was originally promised when the Premier platform was released. After the debugging of OP about a year, they finally seemed to have it all figured out. How many more years will it take to fix the current guide data problems? I think the OTT world is changing too fast and TiVo does not seem to be a "move fast" company. It seems the OTT providers are changing bundles monthly.

Adding OTT to TiVo pretty much makes TiVo a $500 streaming device, albeit with theoretically better UI, better guides, and OTA recordings. I don't see how they can compete with an $40-$100 streaming device all without additional subscriptions. Maybe the same could have been said about TiVo all along, why pay extra for a glorified Guide.

I also doubt the numbers work out for any content providers to develop an App for TiVo.

I don't know the real numbers here, but lets look at Sony VUE.

1. Roll out on Sony Playstation PS3/4
    2. Roll out on Amazon
    3. Roll out on Roku

I don't know where TiVo would fit on that list but I have to assume it is pretty far down that list with respect to potential users / converts / new subscribers / Return on Investment.

Sony has not even rolled out Vue on their own TV's yet, (if they ever do at all) and I have to assume there are way more Sony TV's in the world than TiVo's.

I don't know who TiVo is anymore or where they fit long term. At best I only see them as an expensive OTA recording device for cord cutters in the near future with respect my usage anyway.

I hope I am wrong.

4. Apr 5, 2017 #4 of 15
    cthomp21

cthomp21 Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    Tivo seems to have all of the tools - these new "jump channels" in the guide, a multitude of streaming apps, the best OTA DVR on the market, MOCA, mini's, multiple tuners, etc... to be able to build the perfect OTA/App-centric device. It seems they just need to partner with an OTT service provider and piece it together.

AirTV and a Channelmaster DVR have done something like this with Sling TV, but they don't have all of Tivo's bells and whistles.

5. Apr 5, 2017 #5 of 15
    RAM5

RAM5 New Member

Nov 6, 2002

Advertisements

...but sadly the Channelmaster DVR won't record from streaming sources, only OTA. I've been playing with the Sling Cloud DVR, but the UI is amazingly unfriendly. (I can record programs on the MSNBC feed, but I can only schedule repeated recording for some of them. ...and there's no equivalent to the list of upcoming recordings that TIVO has.)

6. Apr 5, 2017 #6 of 15
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Knowing we do do about TiVo's current business model and the direction they appear to be heading (particularly now, after the merger with Rovi), the most likely way I could see something like this happening would be if a start-up OTT live streaming service decided that rather than try to build their own new brand and UI, they went to TiVo and licensed their brand and UI. (Let's call this hypothetical OTT service "TiVo TV".) This other company, not TiVo, would actually be in charge of lining up the channel packages, running the servers that stream it, doing the billing and customer support, etc. (TiVo would just be licensing their IP and sitting back while the $ rolls in, which is pretty much what they like to do.) And like any other OTT service, TiVo TV would be packaged as an app that runs on popular devices like Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, Android, iOS, etc.

Now, additionally, sure, they could roll out their own Android TV box with the TiVo TV app auto-launching as the default starting point, much like what Sling TV has done with their AirTV box. And assuming that TiVo TV offered a package with only various cable channels and no locals, they could support the integration of live OTA TV into their UI, right alongside the streaming channels, thanks to Android TV's native support for certain USB OTA tuners (as well as network OTA tuners). Cable channels could be recorded to cloud DVR (as is the norm with these OTT services) and local OTA channels could either be recorded to a local hard drive or also uploaded to cloud DVR (for an additional small monthly fee).

Now who wants to pitch this to the VCs out on Sand Hill Road to get this new venture off the ground?!

7. Oct 2, 2017 #7 of 15
    NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    TiVo partner Evolution Digital today announced that launch of their "eVUE-NOW!" streaming platform that they will license to pay TV providers to allow them a turnkey way to offer a skinny IPTV service that can be delivered to popular retail devices (e.g. Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, mobile phones, etc.).

Evolution Digital Launches New Live Streaming Service for Cable Operators Nationwide

I'm not sure if this is an OTT platform that can be offered to any device over any internet connection or if it's a managed IPTV platform that would be delivered only over a provider's own broadband network.

At any rate, this is noteworthy because Evolution Digital has offered a similar IPTV platform, eVUE, for a year or so now that uses the TiVo UI. While eVUE is only for use with their own eBox STB hardware, the new eVUE-NOW platform is for use with retail devices and also offers direct billing support. No word yet whether eVUE-NOW also uses the TiVo UI.

8. Oct 2, 2017 #8 of 15
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    And there it is. A DVR for streaming with real guide data (and guides, not those stupid tiles most OTT use) would be killer.

Not sure it has to be that expensive and could potentially be PC based if you don't include QAM or OTA tuners. You could have a simple box with a plug in disk that just did streaming guide and recording and maybe apps like Netflix, etc. And an optional OTA or an OTA box that you can network in like you can do today with Bolt and Roamio.

9. Oct 2, 2017 #9 of 15
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Is eVUE the box I have seen in hotels that just has a simple Tivo guide? I thought that was the name on it.

10. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Maybe. I don't think I've read anything about them being in hotels, but it's possible. So far, they've partnered with small-to-midsize cable and telco operators, like WOW!. Their eBox is a hybrid QAM/IPTV box -- has a single QAM tuner for traditional live cable TV and then uses their back-end to deliver VOD and, if the operator wants, cloud DVR via IP. The eBox can use either the TiVo UI or a different generic UI.

This new thing, eVUE-NOW!, is a fully IP-based solution for use with existing retail streaming STBs. I read that they're going to soon roll out a customized Android TV box that operators can offer (sell/lease) customers for use with the service. That seems to be a trend, BTW. I've read that AT&T has a customized Android TV box in the works for DirecTV Now and DISH has already rolled one out (AirBox) for use with both Sling TV and local OTA.

11. snoop

snoop Member

Oct 9, 2002
    I'm not sure that Roamio's and prior have the guts to handle what they're doing now and an OTT provider. I've found my Sling TV problems become fewer the more powerful the device I use. I look at how long my roamio takes to launch and stream netflix compared to a Roku 3 or 4. I know some Dish Sling capable devices use a similar SoC but t don't know how well they perform or if they have issues.

12. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    I would love a generally available OTT w the Tivo UI. The UI (and remote) are mainly why I am still with cable.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

13. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    I changed my Roku I used with Sling Tv from a 2XS to a Premiere Plus, it removed 99 percent of the problems and i can rip through commercials on recordings at Tivo speed.

14. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Since you can't record the streams, it really make no sense to have an OTT service on a Tivo, and there will be a shakeout of OTT services eventually, so Tivo should avoid the fray. Then there is the one box solution or as I call it one box ready to crash all of your watching options.

15. davefred99

davefred99 Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Lassen...
    There will undoubtedly a shake out in OTT services but as long as they make content available On Demand or have a cloud DVR there is not much need for recording them.
    Cable and OTA are different animals as they require live recordings but I believe that most cable users rely on there DVR's more than the OTA/OTT cordcutter users. This is why I believe TIVO is not aggressively pursuing non cable DVR cordcutter type customers.