Will Tivo ever know??

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by RhoXS, Nov 11, 2008.

1. RhoXS

RhoXS New Member

Mar 26, 2006

Advertisements

I received the new 1 TB hard drive for our Tivo HD today. The only fly in the ointment right now is my wife. The Tivo HD is technically hers (a B-Day gift) and she does not want to void the warranty, at least not now since we have had it only a little over a month. Is there any way for Tivo to tell that hard drive was replaced if there is a problem later and I simply reinstall the original drive?

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Yes, they will know. However, 99% of the problems with a TiVo are hard drive failures. If I were you I would keep the original drive in a safe place. If there is ever a major problem, replace the 1TB drive with the original drive. My guess is this will tell you if the issue is the drive. Also, TiVo may still repair/replace the TiVo. However, be aware that replacing the drive will lose any cablecard pairings you have. So you will most likely have to get your cable company to re-pair the cards (which can be done over the phone if you get lucky).

3. rmorton0573

rmorton0573 Barney Fife, my Hero

Mar 1, 2008
    Cameron, NC
    when I upgraded my Tivo HD with MSF Tools. I did not have to have my cable card repaired. It copied the drive verbatem and all I had to do was expand the drive.

4. RhoXS

RhoXS New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Thanks for the fast response.

Rainwater, are you saying that my single multistream cable card will have to be set up again if I make a full backup using mfscopy?

Also, how will Tivo know? Is there a case seal that will have to be broken?

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004

Advertisements

Oh, I thought you purchased a pre-formatted drive. In your case, if you use MFSTools, then I think it preserves the pairing info. As for how they know, I think your TiVo reports to them during its daily updates. They can't physically tell by looking at the TiVo, as there are no seals in any modern TiVos afaik.

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Tivo could 'potentially' know that you replaced your hard drive.
    When a Tivo makes it's daily call, I think info is gathered in the logs on Tivos servers regarding your system info.

As for the warranty, if you have to send the Tivo back, just make sure the original hard drive is in it.
    There's no way for Tivo to know whether or not you have "opened the case".

7. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    TiVo does know but being its one (of a large number) of great features that TiVo has that the cable co DVR does not, TiVo never tried to interfere with people that upgraded their drive unless you call TiVo for Tech support, and the CSR happens to notice that you have an non TiVo drive in TiVo, some CSR will not talk to you.

I have changed drives in TiVos with cable cards, started with a clear and delete all to sync the drive, do another full guided setup and never had a pairing problem with the cable cards as i think the pairing information is in the hardware on the mother board not the hard drive.

8. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    the cable card use hardware ID numbers to do the pairing but that info could be stored on the hard drive. I have not seen a specific case of someone using a preformatted drive to upgrade.

The path the OP is taking in copying the original hard drive over will be fine and require nothing more be done by the cable company.

I have been on this board for years now and have never seen a case of TiVo voiding a warranty - let alone for the specific reason of a drive upgrade. Put the original drive in a plastic bag, mark what it is for and store it somewhere safe.

I had a drive go bad in a DT of mine just about 4 weeks ago. we lost some shows but the family was most happy to see the TiVo back in action within an hour. Dad the hero. Then I ordered a large drive again and swapped out again - putting the original back in storage.

Had I not done the first swap it would instead have been buy a preformatted drive or get a generic image or else call TiVo and do some warranty swap out which would have taken longer and for a series 3 meant waiting for cable company to come repair the cards.

Frankly - swapping out the drive is the absolute best warranty against prolonged outages you can have.

9. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Also, if you don't want to have any hardware or drive issues, purchase a UPS. If you keep the TiVo plugged into the battery backup part of the ups, it will rarely ever have to reboot or be shutdown by a power outage. TiVos that don't shutdown or reboot often tend to have a longer life than those that are affected by lots of outages.

10. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I got my first Series 3 in Jan of 2006, upgraded to a 1TB drive and put the TiVo on a timer, it goes off at 4am and back on a 4pm, I never have had any problem and I save half the power (about 45 watts) that the TiVo would normally take. I never record anything or watch that TV in that time frame. I will see if I can get 8 to 10 years on that hard drive. The TiVo calls home between 6 and 7 pm whenever i check so the guide data is up to date.
    If there is any disadvantage i never see it, as the software updates takes place at 2 am and never takes over 2 hours to finish.

11. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Yes. But do you cut the power off and then back on several times while your TiVo is trying to boot/spin up the drives? Power outages can wreak havoc on hard drives.

12. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Everyone says that cablecard pairings are stored but I never had problems when I moved mine. I've swapped series 3 four times for service and I just put the cable cards in the new units and they work fine.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    As soon as the TiVo connects with the service they know the hard drive was replaced. They wouldn't replace a new TiVo HD for me because I had replaced the drive. They wanted to charge me over $150 when it was brand new since the drive was replaced. So I just took it back to Circuit City and exchanged it.(After putting the original drive back in)

14. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Yes, there are a few places where they don't pair the cards to the device. In this case, it doesn't matter if you swap devices.

15. jlib

jlib Lean Forward

Nov 21, 2002
    Carmel...
    I don't have anything new to add, I just want to reiterate what ZeoTiVo and rainwater have said. Upgrading your original drive to a larger one and preserving the original is the most important thing you can do and is way more important than any minimal warranty provided by TiVo.

You should present the project to her as a backup rather than you simply tinkering with it. The odds are so miniscule that anything other than harddrive failure will affect your TiVo that for most practical purposes the warranty has little value.

Do you really want to send your TiVo back for replacement with a refurbished unit when usually all you need to do is purchase another drive (or warrant with drive manufacturer) and do the upgrade again from the preserved original drive? That and a small UPS just to protect from power blips and surges should give you more peace of mind than the warranty.

16. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I agree that's a different problem, we don't have any power loss where i live or it less than once a year so i don't have that problem.

17. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Well this becomes the first case I have heard of for this. Do you have an idea what was wrong with the TiVo HD? Did it work once you put the original drive back in?

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

There was a problem when the TiVoHD first came out with stereo analog channels. The TiVo would send out a mono signal over both channels instead of a stereo signal. I tried three TiVoHD boxes with the same results. I have no idea if they fixed it since when I got FIOS everything was all digital and the audio problem was only with analog channels. It was frustrating since the TiVo people seemed to have no idea what a stereo should be. They assumed since there was audio in both channels that it was in stereo, but it was just a mono signal sent to both channels.

anyway they wouldn't even consider troubleshooting it unless I had a TiVo that had never been modified. Which is where the problem arose with my upgraded drive and they said i voided the warranty by replacing it.

19. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    ah -so they would not take it in house and see if they could look at the problem directly?

I recall that problem and think they did fix it at some point.

20. hkancyr

hkancyr New Member

Jan 20, 2002
    CT
    I "upgraded" my TiVo HDD early in it's life and the larger upgrade drive died. I simply popped the original TiVo drive back in and the TiVo resumed as if it had never changed a thing, my favorites where still recording.
    So my advice would be to change the drive now while the original is in good shape and put it aside.