Will this wireless work with TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MikeMar, Jan 19, 2006.

1. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...

Advertisements

USB wireless adapter

Will this work?

Thanks

2. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    I saw that one too....great price...but they dont tell you the version #....I was gonna ask them thru email but the "help" screen states..."our agents do not have more specific product information than what is listed on our site."

3. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Yeah, well there are 4 version numbers of the product right? and i heard that 3 of them work.

So 75% chance that it will work. Almost worth the $10 risk :)

4. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    Yep....2.6, 2.8, 3.0 & 4.0.....w/4.0 being the one that doesnt work.....and being the latest one is probably this one. Wish i found this before i bought the internal one for my 2nd PC. At least then i coulda had a use for it...

Although...you're right...it is ONLY $10.... :)

5. slcpd6469

slcpd6469 New Member

Jan 17, 2006

Advertisements

I was just also wondering if this wireless adapter would work: Linksys WUSB45GP.

6. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    Mike,

All I can tell you is that I bought one from Buy.com two weeks ago and it came in as v2.8. As mentioned it did not state the version number online and I concluded that a telephone call or email to Buy.com would be pointless. They have different distribution centers.

Either you'll be out $10 plus shipping or you will get a great deal. On a side note, now that I have a total of three WUSB11's I an going to a wired adapters. My MRV transfers were a bit slow.

Anyone need three nearly new WUSB11's? ;)

7. tivo_newb

tivo_newb New Member

Jan 19, 2006
    I just picked up the DirecTV HD DVR Tivo unit from Best Buy. The setup location for this unit is nowhere near a phone connection or wired network. So I'm thinking that my only option is somehow connecting the unit to my Linksys 802.11b wireless network.

Are you guys suggesting that I can plug in that Linksys USB Adapter into the DVR's USB port, and then it will talk to my existing network? I'm kind of techno-dumb so sorry for the question.

How would I ensure that the USB Adapter "sees" my existing network?

Thanks. :)

8. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    It is possible but not right out of the box. No DirecTivo will network unless you install the "hacks" to enable the USB ports. Search the Tivo Underground on this forum for The Zipper. Be prepared to read the Zipper thread, several times. It is quite long. Another note, do not buy an Ethernet adapter until you check Tivo.com for adapters that are compatible with your model.

9. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA

That could be why the price is so cheap. They are older units that they are looking to unload. Think i'll order one....could probaly get rid of it on Ebay if it doesnt work. ;)

and just noticed if ya sign up for the Buy.com Visa you get a $25 discount....on top of the $25 rebate...which puts ya ahead of the game by $15.... :cool: