Will this Premiere/Premiere 4/Mini configuration work?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Durkman, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Durkman

Durkman New Member

Apr 18, 2013
    New member/first post.

Looking to ditch DirecTV and go strictly with OTA HD and streaming service(s) such as Netflix/Hulu Plus.

I understand that only the regular Premiere supports recording of OTA HD programming, and that only the Premiere 4 and Premiere XL 4 support streaming via Tivo Mini. I want to be able to stream recorded OTA HD programming to other TV(s) in my house.

I understand I can do this if I get two or more regular Premiere DVRs, but my cost savings from cancelling DirecTV start to dwindle if I add more than two DVR's.

This setup would save me some monthly fees, but would it work:
    1 Regular Premiere (for recording OTA HD)
    1 Premiere 4 or XL4 networked to regular Premiere for watching recorded OTA HD programming
    1 or more Minis networked to Premiere 4 or XL4 for streaming recorded OTA HD programming
    Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

2. rfryar

rfryar My Media, My Way

Feb 15, 2008
    Cottage...
    Yes that configuration will work.

The mini will stream recorded content from any Premiere in your house. It will only stream live TV from the P4 (at this time).

Rick

3. tatergator1

tatergator1 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'd question that. The XL4/P4 are Cable Only, and I'm pretty sure a user reported problems pairing their mini without an authorized Cable Card. Being OTA only, you'll never be able to get that Cable Card, and the extra cost of the P4/XL4 seems a waste of the 4 tuners since it would only be a host to the Mini and never record a single thing.

4. Durkman

Durkman New Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Thanks for the replies. Good point about the wasted money for the P4/XL4 that won't be able to record anything. I may just go with one (or possibly 2) regular Premiere units and hold out hope that some day TiVo will come out with a DVR that both records OTA HD programming and streams to other TV's.

If anyone else has any other thoughts I'd be happy to hear them.

5. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    With the premiere being essential the same pocket as a mini with your above senerio. Three would give you 6 tuners and out of the box the same recording capacity as a premiere 4 and a premiere

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    A "regular" Premiere already does that. You just can't allocate a tuner for use by a Mini for "live" TV, nor can you initially configure a Mini w/o a P4 or XL4. You can stream any recording from any Premiere to another Premiere or to a Mini, including in progress recordings.

In your situation (OTA only), I would suggest multiple TiVos and no Minis, even a Series 3 would be probably be fine since the main advantages to streaming as opposed to transfer are 1. You can stream an in-progress recording and 2. You can stream recordings with the CCI* set to "Copy Once". The latter advantage doesn't apply to OTA as the CCI is set to "Copy freely".

*CCI = Copy Control Information

7. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Get used Series 3's. That doesn't work well on cable, since you have to pay the CableCard fees ($7/mo per CableCard on Comcast), but for OTA users, that isn't an issue, and you don't have the HBO problem (encryption) so you're all good there.

8. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    You can use the P4/XL4 to stream from the OTA Premiere (P2). A P2 can also stream from another P2.

You can also use an S3 to move shows from the P2, though they don't support streaming.

9. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Or a P4/XL4.