Will this multiswitch be ok?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Supfreak26, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Supfreak26

Supfreak26 Go Cowboys!

Dec 12, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    New to this multiswitch stuff so I need a little advice...

I got a new R10 for Xmas and I want to hook up my older Directivo in my den. I have a non-powered multiswitch already but I understand that won't work for long cables so I'm looking for a powered one.

I need one that I can install outdoors. I'll install it under one of my awnings so it will be somewhat protected but not fully. I found a bunch of these on ebay for $32 and it looks like it would be ok since I could hook the power supply up inside and run the coaxial power cable to the multiswitch outside.

http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetail/0,2588,PI791-CI138,00.html?

Am I right about this installation? Will this multiswitch do the trick? Anything else I should know?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I'll assume that you have a single LNB round style dish with a dual outputs. That switch will work just fine with that. Just how long will your cabling be? I'd try the unpowered one first and then get the powered one if needed.

Do you plan to ever go hi def? If so, then you'll get the new dish and will need more cables run from dish and a new multiswitch. Think about running all cables to a common location where the extra multiswitch can be installed and then distribute from there. This will make for easier upgrades later.

3. DrEvil

DrEvil Evil Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Apex, NC
    You could try your current multiswitch. If the cables from the receiver to the multiswitch are 100 feet or less you should be fine.

Otherwise a multiswitch like the one linked to should work fine. You may want to put it in a raintight enclosure. Take a look at this page for some ideas.

www.hometech.com/techwire/boxes.html

You can probably find one locally at a Home Depot or Lowes, or electrical supply house.

4. Supfreak26

Supfreak26 Go Cowboys!

Dec 12, 2003
    McKinney, TX

You are correct about the dish that I have. The cabling will be pretty long. I think it's 80 feet so the old multiswitch may work out ok. I think I'll give it a try.

As for hi def, I don't see us getting that anytime soon so I'm not concerned with the wiring there. Plus we plan on moving this year so no concern about upgrades right now. When we move into our new home, I'll definitely keep that in mind, though.

So my next question is this: Will the current multiswitch that I have be ok outdoors unprotected?

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Take a close look at the switch and see if the seams are welded or sealed. Then make sure the connections you make on that switch are weatherproof. Use ones that have a silcone and O ring seal.

6. Supfreak26

Supfreak26 Go Cowboys!

Dec 12, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Multiswitch is sealed and should do the trick. I'll let you guys know when I get around to doing this.

Thanks to all for the advice!