Will this MoCA setup work with 2 Premiere 4's and 2 Mini's?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by dmk1974, Apr 3, 2013.

1. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    This isn't my own current home setup, but an option that I am looking at.

A) TiVo Premiere 4 (Ethernet + MoCa enabled)
    B) TiVo Premiere 4 (MoCA connected to A)
    C) TiVo Mini (MoCA connected, using tuner from A)
    D) TiVo Mini (MoCA connected, using tuner from B)

Is this possible or am I using too much MoCA bandwidth for the network connection to B plus the video/network connection to C and D?

If I connect B with a TiVo wireless N adapter, I can't let it lend a tuner to a Mini, correct?

Attached Files:

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Seems like perfectly good setup to me. MoCA 1.1 can support up to 16 devices, so you would be nowhere near the limit there.

3. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    Thanks. I just wasn't sure what it does to bandwidth over the coax lines.

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Bandwidth is upwards of 175 Mbps so nothing to worry about since max rates for HD streams are ~ 19 Mbps and typically quite a bit less than that for most MSOs.

5. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    Allright, so I think I have my setup all in place now (see attachment for updated wiring).

A) TiVo Premiere 4 - Family Room (Ethernet + MoCa enabled)
    B) TiVo Premiere 4 - Basement (Ethernet)
    C) TiVo Mini - Kitchen (MoCA connected, using tuner from B)
    D) TiVo Mini - Bedroom (MoCA connected, using tuner from B)

My only (I think) remaining question is: Does it matter which TiVo Premiere 4 is the one that has Ethernet + MoCA enabled. As you can see, A is the one with that enabled at the moment. But should I enable it on B instead since it has the two Mini's piggy-backed to it? Or does it not even matter as long as one and only one of the Premiere 4's has it enabled? Thanks!

Attached Files:

6. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Real-world bandwidth is in the 80mbps range.

7. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Haven't tried it but I'm guessing it should work. It's a little inefficient in that content from B would pass though A before it reaches the Minis, but hopefully it works. Let us know if it doesn't.

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It should not matter. Plus you can put the second P4 on MoCA and all the TiVos will run off the one Ethernet connection for internet on the other P4. I have basically the same setup only I also have an OTA only Premiere in addition to two Minis and two Elites. Both of my Elites and Minis are on MoCa. The first Elite bridges between Ethernet and MoCA to get the internet connection which feeds everything else over MoCA, and the second Elite is bridging from MoCA to Ethernet to provide an ethernet connection for my OTA only Premiere.

The only detriment to my setup is if I were to try a bunch of concurrent transfers to my TiVo Desktop machine. When everything is using Ethernet there is no problem with each one transferring at 70Mb/s. But with everything over MoCA the speeds are reduced. I don't use my TiVo Desktop like I used to with concurrent transfers to so it's not an issue for me anymore(I barely use it now). So I just use the MoCA setup now. All the connections between the TiVos over MoCA and the bridges work great.

9. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    Last night, I wound up setting the Family Room (A) to just Ethernet and then the Basement (B) to MoCA + Ethernet. I don't think it really made a difference either way, but I suppose it makes sense to have the Basement take care of everything needed for the Mini's. All seems to be working well so far!