Will this get me through the wait for new D-Tivo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by tkansora, Sep 11, 2008.

1. tkansora

tkansora New Member

May 31, 2003

Advertisements

Hi

Currently have a Hughes HDVR2 SD DTV/ Tivo. Tuner 2 is starting to act up. Not impressed with the HR21, so I almost moved to Comcast and a Series 3 HD Tivo. Now with the Tivo/ DTV announcement, I'm re-thinking my decision and staying with DirecTv.

Here are the options I can think of to get me through the year.

1. Replace my Hughes HDVR2 with a new or newer HDVR2 I get off Ebay. There are new units available, so I should have good luck with one of these units for a year.

2. Replace the HDVR2 with an HR10, either off Ebay or via one of the online retailers. I would still have SD programing, but maybe I would be able to receive off air HD.

3. Break down and get an HR21 and put up with it for a year.

What would be my best solution? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Tom

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Have you actually used an HR21 for more than 10 minutes? Assuming you have an HDTV - you didn't say - I'd recommend option 3. You might find you actually like it. If you want to stick with standard-def, then option 1 is probably fine. Option 2 is useful only if you will be using OTA. Note that buying from eBay is perilous as some people find that such boxes have unpaid charges on the account and cannot be activated.

3. ClemSole

ClemSole New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    #3 100% That would be the best thing you could do. Who knows you may find out that the HR2x are better than the Tivo's. It also may be longher than 1 year before Directv comes out with a D/Tivo unit.

4. jangelj

jangelj New Member

Oct 23, 2002

My $.02,
    Get the HR21 for the year. It is silly to have an HD TV and not watch your favority shows in HD. As a former directivo and SA tivo user, I don't particularly like the cumbersome menu of the HR21, but I do love recording/watching shows in HD. The HR21 is no Tivo, but it does it job satisfactorly (sp?)

John

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY

Advertisements

There is also speculation that the new HD TiVo UI could be ported to the HR2x platforms.