Will this cheap ZyXEL Media Server do the trick for Tivo Desktop transferring?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Jayboy3, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Jayboy3

Jayboy3 Member

Jan 2, 2010

Advertisements

I'm looking for the cheapest, simplest way to create space for my transferred programs using Tivo Desktop. Right now I just use the ample hard drive on my computer (networked with both my Tivo HD's).

I started using an external Passport drive just so I wouldn't have to worry about filling up my computer's hard drive. But it's just a USB drive, and it doesn't feel like the right solution, because it's slower and it's not always hooked up.

I saw this ZyXEL Media server for only $94 on Amazon -- it doesn't have the hard drive in it, but I could get a cheap drive to put in it.

ZyXEL NSA210 Digital Media Storage Server

I was thinking I would just network this thing, and still use Tivo Desktop from my main computer. But for the folder where files are transferred, I would select the networked server. My computer would have to be "awake" and running Tivo Desktop to do any transfer activity, but the hard drive space would be this thing.

What's the best, cheapest way to go? Some of my criteria are:

1. I don't really care about backup or risk of loss. This is just to have huge numbers of movies or shows that I can pull into one of my Tivos when the urge hits me. Kids shows for the kids, stuff like that.

2. I just want it to be easy -- the server shows right in my Now Playing as it is, and can transfer shows for immediate watching (while transferring) now. Just want to continue.

I suppose I could just get a good, powered external hard drive for my computer and that would be best. But then I saw this thing and thought it might be better. But would I have to buy some operating system or something to run it?

What do people do? (P.S. I don't really care for the Tivo hard drive -- seems pricey for what it really is).

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Network storage is even slower than USB.

You might be able to run pyTivo on the ZyXEL, and leave the PC out of the equation. Or, there's at least one NAS available with a TiVo-compatible server already built in.