Will there be TiVo Desktop for Mactel?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam New Member

Jan 25, 2003

Advertisements

I assume that the existing version of TiVo Desktop for the Mac will be incompatible with the new 'MacTel' Macs that are coming out now (i.e. Macs that run on Intel processors) since they interact so heavily with the system.

I almost hate to ask this, but is TiVo working on an Intel-native version of TiVo Desktop for Mac? I saw the screenshots of the (extremely alpha version) preview of TiVo Desktop 2.0, which included TiVo To Go; would this include a 'universal binary' so that it will work with both PowerPC and Intel Macs?

2. Dennis Wilkinson

Dennis Wilkinson Active Member

Sep 24, 2001
    East...
    <geek>
    TiVo Desktop doesn't interact heavily with the system -- that's not the issue. The issue with running the current TiVo Desktop is that Rosetta emulation doesn't handle applications built like TiVo Desktop, i.e. a Java application that calls native binary code via a JNI library. Rosetta, unless something has changed from the initial announcement, wouldn't know to be invoked for the JNI code.

I'm not even 100% certain that JNI libraries on Mac OS X can be built as Universal, but that would just reduce the issue to an install-time thing (have to install the JNI library built for the processor architecture you're installing on, but APIs shouldn't be different.)
    </geek>

I'll go out on a little bit of a limb and say that their Mac development bandwidth is pretty small, so since we haven't seen an update yet for 10.4.x (and yes, it mostly works under 10.4.3) which is used by a big swath of Mac OS X users, seeing an update for Intel Macs which people who aren't developers don't have in their greedy little hands yet seems slim. I'd guess that Mac development is probably focused on 2.0, and I'd guess that'd be "universal" in some sense of the word.