Will there be any new streaming options

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by mdm08033, Dec 12, 2011.

1. mdm08033

mdm08033 Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Haddonfield,...
    I know that I have only been with TiVo for a few wees but I am just wondering. I boyught my Premiere because of the almost "All In One Box" of DVR, Netflix and Hulu along with a keyboard remote my whole family is actually using. I like my Netflix and Hulu Plus is okay but other streaming box companies are adding streaming options constantly. Boxee just announced Slingbox Player capability will be added in the new year. Analysts are predicting that HBO may offer HBO To Go channel for non cable and Dish/DirecTV customers. Instead of buying a Boxee, AppleTV or Roku to expand my streaming options, does the forum think TiVo will add new options or open up a "TiVo Streaming Channel Store" to buy new streaming options?

Also if TiVo adds more channels/streaming options what ones would you like to see?

2. Saberj

Saberj New Member

Sep 29, 2006

I read a week or two ago that HBO said that To Go would absolutely never be available without a subscription to HBO. Who knows how true that will actually end up being, but I doubt they will reverse that in a short period of time.

Also, to answer the question, I wouldn't count on it. Tivo is really slow with updates. There may be something new in a couple years. If they were going to do it though, Amazon's Prime Streaming service may be a good choice.

3. mdm08033

mdm08033 Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Haddonfield,...
    You right about that HBO story. Sorry I didn't read the follow up. One can hope that HBO and other premium channels will come to their senses and bypass the cable/telco/sat outlets and direct subscribe customers via streaming set top boxes. I would hapily give HBO and the Philles $20 per month to watch their content.

I admit I was annoyed to discover that the Amazon Streaming on my TiVo Premiere was only pay titles and not the 'all you can stream' Prime Instant Video. The consolation prize is I can still switch to my Blu-ray player to stream Amazon Prime Instant Video.

4. DCleary

DCleary New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    TiVo needs to move quick, apps are the future. I'd like to see Amazon Prime Streaming and Vudu for starters. I'd like to see NHL GameCenter Live and the like as well.

5. DrewG5

DrewG5 New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Apps can already be generated although they currently require a computer to run that doesn't preclude anyone from creating an app to allow more streaming options, and so on.

Having to have a computer running as a server at all times is a down side to that solution. Basically the options are out there for the taking.

6. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I HIGHLY doubt HBO will EVER be available without a regular cable/satellite subscription. Look who owns it-Time Warner.

7. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Apps are redundant, my TV, BRP and PS3 do apps better than TiVo already, apps are the least of a reason to buy a TiVo. TiVo missed that bus..next!

8. muzzymate

muzzymate Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Cleveland
    I'm hoping for an HBO Go streaming option for Tivo - available to many current HBO subscribers. Two biggest advantages for Tivo:
    - Gets around not having access to cable company's OnDemand library
    - Gets a nice press release (the only reason Tivo seems to do anything anymore)

9. JandS

JandS Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 1, 2010
    East of Seattle
    As a "streaming neophyte" I've been blown away with Vudu's ease of use and yet very comprehensive UI. <slipping my max slings and arrows armor on ...> I hate to say this, but adding Vudu to Tivo would make the rest of the Tivo UI look like a grade-school design project.

10. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I agree with you there. An HBO app seems right up Tivo's alley. Just think they could plaster the HBO logo all over their marketing materials!

11. DCleary

DCleary New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    I don't want to have to go to another device and I want a unified search. TiVo may have missed that bus but there isn't a device that fulfills all those needs...although Google seems to be thinking about it.

12. mdm08033

mdm08033 Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Haddonfield,...
    Likewise, I don't want to confuse the family by forcing them to search and stream from multiple set top boxes. I already have to switch back to my Sony BDP-S380 Blu-ray player and it's lousy remote to view Amazon Prime Instant Video and Vudu.

I bought the TiVo as a consolation prize for cancelling cable and going over the air. I also chose the TiVo over the Channelmaster DVR because of the blue tooth keyboard remote for searching across multiple streaming sources.

It appears that Google did miss the bus with shipping a product, Google TV, without bothering to make nice with any of the major broadcasters in the United States.

13. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I think this (video streaming) is where TiVo wants to expand. They could do it right now with the system they have in place. All it would take is a deal with the content provider.
    But we all know that the content provider would want to more $$ than the public is willing to pay for "ala carte" or "pay as you use" services.
    People will have to convince <insert content provider> that they would be willing to pay the costs to get such a service.