Will There Be a Problem with This Powerline Plan?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Dansktex, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Dansktex

Dansktex New Member

Jul 7, 2017
    I've read the other powerline questions and responses. It seems it will work, but I want to check to see if any of you recognize a problem with the plan I am thinking of implementing.

1. I have a Romaio. It is in my bedroom and no where near a cable outlet or my router. It is connected to an antenna under my bed which provides great reception even though our broadcast towers are 35 miles away. The Romaio is connected right now through WiFi to my router.

2. I have a TV in my kitchen area that receives poor reception from an antenna placed behind it. This TV is beside my modem and router.

3. I already have a D-Link Powerline 701AV system setup connecting my router in the kitchen to my computer (which is in a closet made into an office halfway across the house). It works well providing ethernet speed at the level that I am paying my provider to deliver (70 Mbps).

4. I want to put a TV in my guest bedroom which has no ethernet wiring, no cable wiring and no antenna, and I want to try to tie it AND the TV in my kitchen together with my Romaio by using two Tivo Minis and more D-Link Powerline Adaptors.

The router already is connected to a D-Link Powerline adaptor (installed to connect my computer as stated above). One of the Minis would be put beside the router and connected directly to it by ethernet cord and connected to the TV above it by HDMI. I would put another D-Link Powerline adaptor in my bedroom and connect it by ethernet cord to the Romaio which is nearby and just below my main TV. I would put another D-Link Powerline adaptor in the guest bedroom and connect a Mini to it via ethernet cord and to the TV above it by HDMI.

The connection in the main bedroom would be via the same electrical circuit that already works for connecting my computer in the closet. Before implementing the plan, I know I need to do a test by temporarily moving my present D-Link adaptor from my computer to the guest bedroom to see if a laptop would get a good, fast connection there (to be sure that it is not a different circuit which is too far away from the D-Link at the router).

It will cost about $375 to implement this plan, so I hope you can review it and help me. Does it sound as if this plan will work? Do you see any flaws? Do you have any suggestions?

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    It all sounds ok but the catch is the speeds you get moving through the power lines though it sounds from your laptop connection it's working well.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    As the unofficial Powerline cheerleader I see nothing wrong with your plan.
    I've gone one step further, my FiOS line comes from the ONT and hits the wired only router in the basement that has a powerline and M0CA connections, and the wireless AP is in the living room at the center of the house is fed by a Roamio in MoCA bridge mode and it works flawlessly.

HerronScott likes this.
  4. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Powerline is a crapshoot, just like wireless. Can work great one day and not the next depending on your house wiring and local interference.

Better make sure you can return all that $375 worth of stuff if needed, or pay someone to run some cables instead.

mdavej likes this.
  5. Dansktex

Dansktex New Member

Jul 7, 2017
    Thanks for the replies so far. I didn't completely understand your setup Diane, but I will write you back if I run into problems. My powerline setup has been consistently good for 2 1/2 years now, slowbiscuit. It's a desktop I am running on it, and I never have had a problem. (I just measured it. I'm paying for 70 Mbps from Spectrum, and I am getting 71 Mbps at my desktop connected by powerline ethernet.)

To me, the powerline setup seems to be the same as the moca setups are except I would be using electrical wiring instead of cable wiring as my ethernet. The reason I am not considering moca is that I am in a condo. I don't know where my cable wiring originates, so I don't know the "flow" through the connected wiring. But more importantly, I do not have cable outlets where I need them to be in either of the bedrooms. Furthermore, my internet is entering through the cable in the kitchen meaning that the cable outlet there (where my modem and router already are located) is already occupied as incoming Internet and not available for connecting to it without using a splitter for moca outgoing even if I did have cable outlets near the other two TVs.

6. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I have never seen that kind of issue in powerline unless your house wiring is crap, on a reasonable 3 wire grounded system wired to code it's almost always solid, and IME far more stable and less prone to interference than any wireless protocol I've used.

7. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Obviously you haven't seen the issues with interference on powerline then. That doesn't mean they don't exist.

The priority for Tivo networking hasn't changed:
    1) Ethernet
    2) MoCA
    3) Powerline
    4) Wireless

And there are good reasons for that order.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003