Will the Tivo interface be faster than my cable companys?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by garlictivo, Jan 23, 2012.

1. garlictivo

garlictivo New Member

Jan 23, 2012
    New to the forum so hiiiii :D

So, I am currently paying Cablevision $5 a month for my cable box and $12 a month for DVR which they handle on their end. The way I see it for only a few dollars more a month, and after returning my cable company's box, I can get Tivo which I hope has a much faster interface and I will also now have Hulu Plus and Netflix on my tv.

here are some questions before I pull the trigger on Tivo.

1.) Cablevisions interface is so damn slow I hate it. It takes a long time to change channels and pull up menus and generally do anything. Will Tivo solve this completely?

2.) Will I be able to use Tivo in a similar way to the Cablevision DVR?

3.) How well does the Wifi-N dongle work with Tivo?

4.) When Tivo claims it replaces your cable box does that mean that all the channel listings and all the Cablevison stuff will still be passed over to the Tivo box and work fine? Anything strange I should expect?

5.) Any advice for a first timer who is about to get Tivo?

thanks for your help :)

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    1.) I have no experience with cable DVRs, but from what I've read here the Tivo will be an improvement.

2.) Similar, but different. The interface will be different, but you should be able to accomplish on the Tivo whatever you do with the cable DVR (except using On Demand or PPV services).

3.) No experience here. My Tivos are hard wired.

4.) Related to #2 above, things will be different (TiVo has their own guide and may have a different way of doing things), but you will still be able to set up automatic recordings to watch at your leisure and do other things.
    You will have to get a M-type cable card from Cablevision for the Tivo.
    Also, repeat - you will not directly be able to use any VOD or PPV services with the Tivo.

5.) Look through these links from TiVo's website.
    http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/product-features/index.html
    http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/index.html
    Don't hesitate to use the 30 day money back guarantee if you are not satisfied.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)

3. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I can't answer your questions about Cablevision stuff but I'll take a stab at some of the rest. For Tivo to "replace your cablebox", you will need a Series 3 or Premiere Tivo. Unfortunately, if you still connect to cable, you will need to rent a CableCard from your company. Check on the cost of that vs the set top box you already have. You can get away withoust a CableCard if you switch to over-the-air reception, or if you are willing and able to receive analog channels from your cable. My cable company broadcasts analog, digital, and HD versions of many channels so I am able to use a Series 1 or Series 2 Tivo directly on cable if I want to. No HD that way, but usable. Tivo service can cost as much as $20/month and that does not include the initial cost of buying a box. Many of us pick up an older box on eBay (or Craigslist) that has a lifetime subscription. That way therre is no monthly cost. A new Premiere and lifetime from Tivo can cost upwards of $500. The Wi-fi usually has to be a Tivo brand unless you do like I do and just use wireless bridges hooked to the ethernet port of the Tivo.

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The wireless-n adapter from TiVo is just a wireless bridge. So any wireless bridge will work since it is only ethernet from the TiVo.

5. yoheidiho

yoheidiho Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Cablevision charges $2 per cablecard and $0 for a tuning adapter. Don't forget the multi-outlet fee of $1.50 if you have multiple TVs.

Of course, Tuning Adapters are hit or miss. I have not had a good history getting working units out of the box.

Also, since they do not remap their channels you will get both SD and HD programming. For instance, channel 2 is CBS in SD while channel 702 is CBS in HD.

6. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I have a Time Warner DVR and two TIVO Premieres. No contest. Tivo is faster, smoother, and tons more functional. I think, money well spent to switch to TIVO if the cable company DVR is wearing on you. Tivo is not perfect, but way ahead of the my Time Warner DVR. My 2 cents.

7. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    My understanding is that Tivo wireless adapters plug into the USB port, not the ethernet port.

8. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    The 802.11-g adapter is a USB device. The 802.11-n "adapter" is really a ethernet bridge that plugs into the TiVo's ethernet port (and also has a separate power adapter). The TiVo only sees a wired ethernet connection. Any configuration of the 802.11-n device is done externally to the TiVo.

9. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    So half of me was right and the other half learned a valuable lesson. ;)

10. dsnotgood

dsnotgood Member

Aug 25, 2010
    simple answer...give back the cable boxes.

get a TiVo premier with lifetime directly from TiVo since they will most likely throw in a free WiFi dongle if your a little undecided.

will cost about 600 for your first box with lifetime. 500 for additional boxes with lifetime.

get the cable company to install the cablecard and tuning adapter.

after about 2 -3 years...your initial TiVo cost will be recouped and you will be saving money...think about this..how long have you had a DVR in your life? 5 years? 5 years at about 20/month is A LOT of $ you paid for a crap DVR so just get a TiVo and you will love it.check reviews on amazon too but just be cautious of the reviews who blame TiVo for their cable companies incompetence with installations.

enjoy watching tv like you never thought you would.

11. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    I just did the same thing as you are considering. Cablevisions DVR the SA-8300HD is horrible, however I do remember it being pretty quick.

The Tivo will accomplish everything you need over the SA8300 and do it in spectacular fashion. When you see and feel the difference, you will remember why we all hate cablevision so much.

A few things you need to know:
    -Gotta get a cablecard from cablevision, its easy just go into and office and request one.
    -You will lose access to on-demand by cablevision, that's ok though just use amazon.
    -All of your HD channels will start at 702, not 2.

Look at this post of mine where i detailed the cost of tivo compared to cablevision owned dvr: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8899914#post8899914 go to post 158.

I see the price increase as insignificant, but the tivo is a whole new world away from the SA-8300.

12. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    You don't need cablevision to install the cablecard, just get one and follow the instructions on installation, it's easy after you call tivo then cable, then tivo, then cable.

13. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Now all you have to do is figure out which half is which.:D