Will the S3 play files from Roamio and mini on same network?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by JimPa, Feb 26, 2016.

1. JimPa

JimPa S3 owner/user

Oct 25, 2006

Advertisements

I'm trying to find out if the S3 will play files from a Roamio Basic and/or a mini on the same home network.

While I'm asking...if I replace my Roamio Basic with another one, is there some way to transfer all my unplayed recording off of it to the new machine. I also have an external drive that has programs. What happens to those?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It can transfer(copy) not stream S3 to/from Tivo DVR (Premiere, Roamio or Bolt), just there is nothing stored in the Mini for it to access. Unless the shows are copy-protected, they can be transferred.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you have an external drive attached to a TiVo, then every show recorded on that TiVo since that drive was connected was split between that external drive and the internal drive, so you need to transfer (copy) all of them that you care about to another TiVo or to a PC via TiVo Desktop or one of the Open Source PC utilities before disconnecting the external drive from the TiVo.

4. JimPa

JimPa S3 owner/user

Oct 25, 2006
    It appears that Tivo Desktop is no longer available.

So what's the next best thing so that I can view all my roamio content(including external drive) on my S3?

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

There is KMTTG, which will allow you to download the unprotected shows to the computer. PyTivo does it as well as act as a server for PC-to-Tivo

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA