Will the new upcoming Roku & FireTV apps work with a Roamio?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by mcf57, Feb 26, 2019.

1. mcf57

mcf57 Member

Oct 19, 2012
    PA

Advertisements

I am looking forward to the upcoming TiVo apps for FireTV and Roku. I have both of these devices as well as 2 original 500GB Roamios (4 tuners w/ cable cards). I thought I saw something that said the apps will only work with Bolt or VOX DVRs. and if I want them to work with a Roamio, I would need to get a Stream? Is this correct?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, you need a Stream. Its built into the Roamio and Bolt 6 tuner models.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The 6-tuner Roamios (Plus & Pro) have a TiVo Stream built-in to support transcoding required for mobile streaming; All 4-tuner Roamio models lack built-in transcoding, and so require a stand-alone Stream or Roamio Plus|Pro on the home network to enable mobile streaming of content from the 4-tuner Roamios (or Premieres, as well).

All BOLT models have built-in transcoding, though using a different approach than a built-in TiVo Stream.

See @Dan203’s TiVo Stream FAQ, here.

A BOLT can only transcode its own content, not that on another DVR; so you’d need a TiVo Stream (stand-alone or within a Roamio Plus|Pro) to enable mobile streaming of content resident on a 4-tuner Roamio.

That said, the hardware and software requirements for supporting the TiVo streaming box app are not yet known/finalized. The only certainty is that it would be supported for BOLTs running TE4.*

edit: * continue reading; @OrangeCrush previously elicited some feedback from @TiVo_Ted on support for the feature, posted below.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    OrangeCrush likes this.
  6. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Active Member

Feb 18, 2016
    I asked Ted specifically about whether a Roamio OTA + Stream on TE3 would work and he said it would.

It ain't "final" until the app ships, but I think we can expect it should work on Roamios (with a built in or standalone TiVo Stream)

skypros likes this.
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    OrangeCrush likes this.
  8. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Active Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Ah thanks sir, didn't catch you already linked my answer in the other thread.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    NP; I probably should have gone back and edited my previous post, once I found your Ted info.