will the hr10-250 work with a non-hdtv?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by KDE, Jan 20, 2006.

1. KDE

KDE New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    our new tv doesn't arrive for another week -- can we hook up the hr10-250 to our non-hdtv?

2. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding TiVo Special Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Portland, OR
    sure, hook it up via composite or S-video, just make sure it outputs 480i. though it would work for 480p also if you have the correct inputs too (component)

3. KDE

KDE New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    It's not working and the setting is 480i. The directv guy is saying that it doesn't work. Does it matter if the tv is a crt that is 10+ years old? The only inputs are s-video and the yellow rca.

4. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    It sounds like the DTV guy may not understand the problem exactly, or just doesn't know. The 480i output is regular old garden-variety NTSC video, which is the same kind of video you have been seeing for 10 years on that set. Both the yellow video output and the S-video output should be available to any monitor that accepts NTSC baseband video.

I suspect a minor hookup snafu. But maybe not, there is a tiny chance your TV just doesn't like the NTSC output from the HR10. If you are feeling adventurous, get a VCR working with the TV set first, then input the HR10 into the VCR, and select "aux" or "video" on the VCR. Maybe it would work that way if there is some odd incompatibility. But I would check normal connections first.

5. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    Your installer is an idiot. It works just fine and I did it myself this summer while I waited for my TV. Just make him leave.

6. SecureTalk

SecureTalk New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Will a HR10-250 out put to a LCD PC Monitor via Digital DVI?

The LCD monitor has 4:3 and 16:9 scaling

It's an old Princton SENergy750 19 inch moitor.

7. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    I hooked my HR10 to a 20" old TV via composite, and it worked fine for a month. My home theater was set up, so the sound was awesome, but didn't get the TV for a few weeks.

It works fine. Never, ever, ever ask an installer tech questions. Nor BB/CC personnel.

8. JaserLet

JaserLet New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Midwest
    My HR10-250 is currently connected to a non-HD 20" 640x480 LCD TV via component (480p). I also tried it at 480i with SVideo (looks about the same) and with composite (kinda blurry). So yes, it works with non-HD TVs just fine. You can adjust the output resolution with the remote or with the little button on the front of the HR10-250 box itself.

I used the included HDMI->DVI cable to connect the box to my 17" 1280x1024 Samsung LCD computer monitor. The picture was ok at 480p, a little squished at 720p, and really messed up at 1080i.

Speaking of cables, Kudos to DirecTV for including so many cables with the HR10-250!! Mine came with a stereo AV cable (composite), an SVideo cable, a component cable, an HDMI cable, and an HDMI->DVI cable. At BestBuy prices, that's over $120 worth of cables!!