Will the HR10-250 support a 1.5TB drive?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by BOBCAT, Oct 21, 2011.

1. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    Will the HR10-250 support a 1.5TB drive?
    Thank You

2. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    Does anyone know what the maximum hard drive size the HR10-250 will support?
    I have seen where members have used 1TB. Will the HR10 support 1.5TB?
    Thanks

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    First of all, keep in mind that the HR10 uses a PATA (IDE) disk connection. I have seen comments from some that have used PATA-SATA adapters with success.

I'd suggest asking in the Upgrades section of the forum. The limitations may largely be in how big an MFS partition can be and how many of such partitions you can have.

4. bpratt

bpratt New Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    If I remember correctly, the largest disk the Hr10-250 will support is 2TB. I don't know where you could find that information any more but I also remember a problem some users were having with the larger disks if they didn't increase the swap size. If the swap size was not increased for the large disks, sector remap would sometimes fail when a bad sector was discovered. That caused a lot of users to believe their new disk had failed when in fact only a few bad sectors were discovered and the system did not have enough swap space to recover.

5. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    Stevel,
    I am currently using a 1 TB drive with a P to S converter board. It works quite well.
    I posted in the upgrade and underground forums, but no answer.
    bpratt,
    I used winmfs to upgrade my drive to 1TB and left the swap size to the default size.
    Haven't had any problems with the 128 swap so far.
    Should I increase the swap to 256 with the 1.5 or 2 TB?
    Thanks

6. RandCfilm

RandCfilm New Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indianapolis
    The HR10 will support up to a 2TB drive, I currently have one of my units with a single 2TB drive

Also replied to your post in other thread

7. bpratt

bpratt New Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I don't know what size swap should be on a larger disk. A few years ago I put a 750 G drive in one of my HR10-250s. It ran for a while and then started random rebooting. One of the TiVo developers suggested that I reload the software on the drive and increase the swap size to 256. I did that using the same drive and the reboot problem went away for several years. About 2 years ago I sold that HR10-250, so I don't know its status now.

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Just go ahead and make the swap size 512. That's a very small percentage of a 1TB or larger drive, and you won't every have to worry that it's too small.

9. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    Hi unitron,
    Will give it a try.
    Thanks for your reply to my thread.