Will the HR10-250 EVER get the 6.2 Update ??

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by DVRaholic, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 17, 2005 #1 of 987
    DVRaholic

DVRaholic I love my Series 3

Mar 28, 2004
    Woodlawn-Bro...

Advertisements

CrazyFred, ,

You were right on the Money about the 6.2 upgrade starting may 16th. Thanks for letting us know this information.

The Only problem Im having now is with the Update to my SD-DVR40
    and SD-DVR80 is Now my HR10-250 is Really Really SLOW!

I know they will start swapping out the HR10-250 near the end of this year for the new MPGE4 receivers, and I will be probably one of the first to get swapped out (NY is market #1)

But I need a Speed increase for the HR10-250 NOW!!!.
    It has become "disgustingly" slow. It took me nearly 5 minutes
    when scheduling a season pass for the "please wait" to clear the screen.

Since we paid so much for our HD-Tivos the least D* can do is let us ENJOY the next 6 months or so with a faster more Efficient HD-Tivo

From what Ive read on various forums its believed that D* has the Update for the HR10-250 ready to go but they are waiting out the SD update.

Is this true CrazyFred ??? If so are they still planning to send the update soon ???

Any Information will be Greatly Appreciated

Thank You.

2. May 17, 2005 #2 of 987
    rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    The rumor I heard is that they will start testing a 6.x release for the HR10-250 after the rollout of 6.2 is complete.

3. May 17, 2005 #3 of 987
    DVRaholic

Mar 28, 2004
    Woodlawn-Bro...
    Thanks rminsk, I know about this rumor also.
    The problem is that this Rumor was out before the
    announcement of the conversion to MPEG4.

Dan collins has said in his forum wouldn't be surprised if they dont send the update for the HR10-250 since they will be swapping out soon.

I hope this is Not True :(

4. May 18, 2005 #4 of 987
    DVRaholic

Mar 28, 2004
    Woodlawn-Bro...
    I,m a bit SURPRISED that as of now with nearly 200 views, NO one else has contributed to this thread..

Im I the ONLY HR10-250 owner that wants to see this 6.2 Upgrade ??!!

Feel free to voice your opinions.... maybe D* will take notice !

5. May 18, 2005 #5 of 987
    georgemoe

georgemoe TiVo Army Grunt

Nov 7, 2001
    Central...

Advertisements

IMHO, we HR10-250 owners are such a small piece of the pie, I'm guessing we see nothing in the way of an update. Sad.

I wish there was one just for the speed alone. My SD Series1 is light years faster. That shouldn't be.

6. May 18, 2005 #6 of 987
    CPD

CPD New Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Yep, I had a 5+ minute wait the other day just picking one show for recording from the guide. I then switched to a music channel and selected another show for recording and it finished in about 20 seconds. This thing really struggles when you have HD channels on both tuners.

Chris

7. May 18, 2005 #7 of 987
    bahopkins

bahopkins New Member

Feb 9, 2005
    Saginaw, MI
    I moved from a Series 2 SA unit to an HR10-250 a few months ago. I definitely miss folders! The speed issue isn't that important to me, but having to scroll through the list pulls a major vacuum. :eek:

8. May 18, 2005 #8 of 987
    k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    The lack of any comment of consequence on 6.x for HD box says one of two things is happening, either:

1. Nothing at all is happening, thus nothing to say, or;

2. There is a beta of 6.x for the HD box underway now, and anybody who knows anything is under NDA.

I wish a little bird would whisper a number in my ear. . .

9. May 18, 2005 #9 of 987
    Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    I would very much welcome the 6.2 upgrade to my HD Tivo. :D

10. May 19, 2005 #10 of 987
    chris_h

chris_h New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    I too want to see 6.2 on the HR10-250. But I am not under any illusions that D* will take notice.

11. May 19, 2005 #11 of 987
    TimGoodwin

TimGoodwin Need to time shift!

Jun 20, 2003
    Maryland
    I'm still waiting for it on my SD Directivo let alone my HR10-250. I guess I don't know what I'm missing.

12. May 19, 2005 #12 of 987
    diagoro

diagoro New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    I don't expect much in the way of an upgrade. I have a 50 " plasma and have never had good sd picture quality. Even the hd looks a bit 'grainy' at times (especially dark areas). Add to that the horrendous lag time. Especially with a plasma where I have to worry about burn in, the damn menus that NEVER seem to go away....

I have several ds tivos that now rock, blazing with their new upgrade. It's sad. I don't know if the hd tivo has grown slower, but I know the disparity between the two has grown considerably.

DirecTV has never taken responsibility for the issues I'm having. I'd love to switch theunit out but also have quite a bit of recorded programming there that never seems to get cleared out. I know, bit the bullet and take the hit. But from what I've read, even a switch would do little good.

In the end it seems we've been lured into buying the dh tivo before it was ready. Not only that, it seems that it was rushed to production to meet demand. End result, crappy box, crappy service....

I don;t expect an upgrade, at least not one that does any good. I believe most of the issues we're having are hardware related, ie, lack of proper memory, hard drive, hdmi interface.....

I'll leave it at that

13. May 19, 2005 #13 of 987
    luebster

luebster New Member

Jun 23, 2003
    Ross Twp,...
    I truly only have two complaints regarding the HDTivo:

1. It's too slow. We all know that.
    2. Cannot explicitly choose "Only HD programming" for wishlists.

Sure, I'd like it to have CallerID, HMO, MRV, etc., but none of the D* DVRs have that (without hacking, of course).

So, the HDTivo compared to the other D* DVRs holds its own. Assuming the HR10-250 gets a 6.x upgrade, it'll take the cake.

...and yes, I know what happens when you ass-u-me. No flames, please.

14. May 19, 2005 #14 of 987
    DDayDawg

DDayDawg New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    Memphis, TN

So let me understand here. You are getting bad picture quality in both SD and HD? Since this is not something that other HR10-250 owners are reporting I would assume it is your box. The PQ on mine is excellent, amazing in fact.

You throw in a few other comments which show some degree of ignorance about the equipment you are using, for example worrying about burn in because of a menu that gets stuck for five mins.

Then you say that DirecTV won't take responsibility but you refuse to switch out the unit. :confused: What more can they do? They can't make a bad piece of hardware work more than anyone else can. They aren't magicians.

Now, like everyone else I want the upgrade and I get frustrated by the speed and lack of folders. But posts like this drive me crazy because it's a squeaky wheel that detracts away from the real issues. You are the technology equivalent of the little boy who cried wolf. Complaining about fixable problems that you chose not to let the company fix only takes away from the voices of people with real concerns.

I can respect what you have to say about the upgrade. But let DTV at least try to make it right in respect to the other issues. That's not crappy service, that's a crappy customer.

15. May 19, 2005 #15 of 987
    diagoro

diagoro New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    I must admit that my response was a bit confusing and lacked the full details...

Since I purchased the 10-250 I've had at least five DirecTV techs come to the house and inspect the unit. All tried to push it off on the tv. Odd, seeing as how EVERY other source looked great....

Two of the techs didn't even know what 'hdmi' was, both stating that componant is the 'top tier' of reception.

All I've ever been told is to contact my tv manafacturer, yet you know as well as I do...all they will say is contact the sat company.

The picture continues to look like &*@#^, especially channels like TNT and Fox Sports (especially world and soccer). I'm assuming I should be able to distinguish the players uniform numbers or even faces?????

I have never been given the express option to trade in just yet, only to wait for the update. I'm sure I could stay on the phone for a few hours and haggle my way to one, but all things considered, is it worth my time? I've had other issues as well, lots of blackouts during broadcasts, both definitions and live/recorded. Do I risk getting a refurbished unit with a hard drive/hdmi unit or live with what I have????

I'd appreciate not being called ignorant, especially when you're not here in my house watching my plasm get burned in......and didn't pay a cent. No, I am not the customer who cried wolf. I rarely post here, only doing so when I have a legitimate thought or question/answer.......

It seems that comments like yours are what will detract from the board in the long run....

So thanks

16. May 19, 2005 #16 of 987
    DDayDawg

DDayDawg New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    Memphis, TN

People are ignorant about many things. Don't make the mistake of thinking that I am calling you stupid, I am not. At the risk of further straining relations let me ask you a few things.

Who? You say technicians came to your house. Who's technicians? DirecTV does not have any technicians. They have contractors who they hire to install dishes and run cable but I have not heard of them sending people to your house to check equipment. These people they contract with are cable runners/install techs and you are hitting them with a Computer Engineering question. Of course they can't help you.

Did you call DirecTV and tell them there is a problem? Did you ask them to switch out the box? (They have a very good track record on switching out boxes so I can't imagine they would refuse). You talk of staying on the phone for hours, and at times it can be trying, but I don't think that is very accurate. Sure, switching out a $1000 box takes a little bit of time to ensure that they, and you, get what is expected out of the deal. They want to be sure there isn't a easy fix they can't handle over the phone.

DirecTV has been very good about switching bad units out. Some mistakes and some hassle but nothing to wide spread or over the top. I do think it's kinda funny that you are willing to live with something that seems to not work at all instead of risking getting a working refurb unit. I don't understand it in the least but it's funny.

The overall point was that you obviously have not taken the proper steps to get your issue resolved. There are literally hundreds of people on this board who faced similar problems that you are facing and have had DirecTV take care of them. DTV isn't perfect by any means but by complaining about things they have a really good track record of fixing it takes away from the discussion of real issues that could benefit the whole 10-250 community. I'm sorry if you took offense at my use of the word ignorant, that was not my intention.

17. May 20, 2005 #17 of 987
    Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just to make sure.. go into the settings menu and make sure the video setting is set to output 1080i or 720p... Default out of the box, mine was set to 480i and I thought something was setup wrong on my projector at first. Well... TNT isn't HD (yet) but it's still something to check.

18. May 20, 2005 #18 of 987
    AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    You can easily do a wishlist for "Only HD". After doing the title/keyword/actor/whatever, Just pick the category, audio/video, HD.

19. May 20, 2005 #19 of 987
    luebster

luebster New Member

Jun 23, 2003
    Ross Twp,...
    That's a fine idea. The only trouble is, I also like to use the sports/whatever filter as well. Unfortunately, you can't select two filters.

For now, I've removed any SD channels that have a simulcast HD signal (all the nets, ESPN on 206, etc).

I'd be eager to hear another suggestion or perhaps I'm not using yours in the manner you suggest?

20. May 21, 2005 #20 of 987
    youngcr

youngcr New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    D* is probably BS'ing me, but here's the latest I've gotten from them:

Sent: 05/19/2005 7:03 AM
    To:
    Subject: RE: HD 6.2 Upgrade [Incident: XXXXX] [Incident: XXXXXXXXx]

05/19/2005 04:03 AM

Dear,

Thanks for writing. You receiver (HR10-250) is indeed going to have it's 6.2 Software Upgrade. Please refer to previous email for more information regarding the upgrade.

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to DIRECTVcom for the latest news's and information about our service.

Sincerely,

XXXXX
    DIRECTV Customer Service

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Original Message Follows:

05/19/2005 03:40 AM

So you're telling me the HR10-250 is getting the upgrade?

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: 05/18/2005 11:32 PM
    To:
    05/18/2005 08:32 PM

Dear,

Thank you for writing. I am sorry to hear that you have not received the 6.2 upgrade for your DVR. Based on our information, the upgrade will be taking place through June of 2005. To prepare for the upgrade, please make sure you are doing the following:

*Keep phone line connected to receiver.
    *Make sure your DVR is making regular callbacks to TiVo.
    *When upgrade starts, follow instructions on screen.

After the upgrade, some settings go back to factory defaults:

*My Preferences - Menu item is removed. Most of the options are now in "Settings."
    *Favorite Channels - List will be empty.
    *Channels You Receive - List is reset so that all channels are checked.
    *Channel Banner time out - If customer had changed it to "Clear Banner Quickly," it will go back to "Display Banner Normally."
    *Spending Limits - Changed to $10.

I hope that this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you again for writing. Please don't forget to register to access your account at DIRECTVcom/MyDIRECTV. Managing your account online is the fast and easy way to pay your bill, order pay per view, change your programming and much more!

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXX
    DIRECTV Customer Service

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.