Will my Series 2 work with this Comcast Box

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jojoma, Oct 17, 2009.

1. jojoma

jojoma New Member

Sep 14, 2006

Advertisements

I needed to get a Comcast Box due to the digital transition. I was "sort of" told that the box Comcast gave me (RNG110 see pic) will not work with Tivo, but maybe I misunderstood them. Do you know if it will work?

Can I plug my cable into the cable box, then into Tivo, then into my Samsung TV?

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    From what I see, you can, except I am not sure of IR control.

3. bpurcell

bpurcell TMBG Fan

Mar 16, 2005
    Fairfield, CA
    Deleted...mistake

4. dsilbermann

dsilbermann New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I'm trying to get this Comcast box working with my Tivo, did you ever get it working? How did you do it?

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.

Advertisements

It uses Pace IR codes apparently.

6. Karl Childers

Karl Childers New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    A...
    If it came with a remote signal receiver, I would suggest logging onto TiVo.com support page and typing in "comcast dta" in the search engine box. This will pull up a list of articles. Select the first one entitled: "IR Channel Changing for Comcast dta". This includes a pair of illustrations that should help you with the placement of the IR Control Cables. Then, go into Channel Changing menu and enter into Advanced Channel Changing. Use IR code 10104. This should work for you.

7. dsilbermann

dsilbermann New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Thanks Classicsat, knowing that the box was manufactured by Pace did the trick.

8. Jan 2, 2010 #8 of 15
    jubrand

jubrand Temporarily Stairs

May 11, 2002
    Chicago
    On the Comcast/Pace RNG110, where is the IR window? I can't seem to find it, even with a flashlight.

9. Jan 2, 2010 #9 of 15
    dsilbermann

dsilbermann New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I wasn't able to find the IR sensor either, but I put the IR blasters about 2-1/2 or 3 inches from the right side of the unit and that seems to be working reasonably well.

10. jubrand

jubrand Temporarily Stairs

May 11, 2002
    Chicago
    You know what else helps? Actually making sure the IR blaster is plugged all the way into the Tivo. I'm an idiot. :rolleyes:

After I fixed that, I put it on the right side, just above the model number. That seems to work fine.

11. PeternJim

PeternJim New Member

Sep 25, 2004
    I have the same box, and yes, it is on the right side. I found it with a flashlight shined from above in a darkened room. Well-lit room, no luck, shined straight on, no luck. It's actually a hair to the left of the model number on the front.

12. PeternJim

PeternJim New Member

Sep 25, 2004
    As to the will it work, jury is still out. It works fine with my single tuner series 2, and the dual tuner controls it just fine, but all the recordings are copyright flagged (but only on the dual tuner tivo). Still trying to work that part out.

13. sksmith

sksmith New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    My S2 is connected to this box and I have an HDTV. I did everything (except change the code manually as one person suggested...I'll try that next) and mine won't work. I wonder why you all can do it and I can't. Then I called Tivo and after we tried everything, he called Comcast while I waited on hold. He told me the the IR sensor was under the word "remote" on the front of the cable box. I told him what you guys said but he said Comcast assured him that's where it was, BUT also said that this box WILL NOT work with Tivo and I have to use the old box which will kill the HD picture on my new HDTV!. But you all made it work!! What else can I try? I'll do the manual code change, but can't figure out why this is working for you, but not me.

Can anyone suggest anything else here?
    Thanks

14. dsilbermann

dsilbermann New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    After I taped the IR blasters in place I went through the "setup" menu in TiVo (I've forgotten exactly what the menu option is called but I had to reenter my zip code, my cable provider, etc.) and when I got to where it asked my what type of cable box I have I choose Pace. This seemed like the long way of doing things, but actually worked pretty well.

That being said, the whole setup was workable but not entirely satisfactory. I had an HDMI cable going directly from the Cable box to the TV for my HD programming and composite cables going from the cable box to the TiVo and then to the TV for when I wanted to use the Tivo. It worked, but I always had to be aware which mode (input) I was watching and obviously couldn't record in HD.

15. sksmith

sksmith New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    Thanks so much for your quick reply. I'll try that. It really helps that you mentioned the HDMI cable because that's what the guy told me who set up our tv's, but I thought he was wrong (Tivo told me he was wrong...thank goodness we have this site).