Will my HR10-250 work in a new location?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Pipper, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Pipper

Pipper New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    I got a new HDTV in my den, and I'd like to move my HR10-250 from my upstairs room to the new TV downstairs. I only have one DTV line going to the downstairs TV, so I'll lose the dual tuner functionality. Also, I don't have a phone line anywhere close to the new TV, so I can't connect a phone cord. Does the HR10-250 have to be connected to the phone line? Will I lose functionality if it's not connected to the phone line?

Also, if I connect the antenna to one tuner and the DTV line to the other, will I have a "sort of" dual tuner functionality between the antenna and the satellite feed?

The reason that I want to do this is because I want to be able to time-shift on my new TV, and DTV won't give me a decent upgrade price to the new HR20 (even though I have a 4 hearts rating, and I've never missed a payment). It's probably due to the fact that I'm still under contract.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    With only one line connected you will lose dual tuner capabilities. Each sat and OTA tuner pair are considered as one tuner from a functionality standpoint.

A phone line isn't required, you lose PPV remote ordering ability.

3. Pipper

Pipper New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Thanks, Jim!

4. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
  5. Pipper

Pipper New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Thanks, Tony, but the link didn't work for some reason.

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    That link doesn't work because it was cut and pasted from another thread. The forum software shortens long links, there is more where you see the "...".

Try this version. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=359336

You'll notice that they look the same, but hover your mouse over each one to see what's missing.

7. BruceShultes

BruceShultes Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Albany, NY
    SWM is coming for the HR20-700 boxes, so you might be better off using that box in the room where you only have one cable.

Once SWM is available, you will be able to use both tuners over a single cable. AFIK, there are no plans to ever make SWM work on the HR10-250.

8. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    True, though the SWM module has "legacy" outputs that can be used, with a separate wire, for the HR10.